Radeon Vega Frontier Edition LCS and more Specs

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 17, 2017.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    There are press conferences about FP32 performance and the shader configuration of the part. (4096 * 2) x FREQUENCY = 13TFLOP.

Frequency = 1600MHz. It's not rocket science. We don't even have to look at the Linux driver to know that at this point.

He said that they have two models, but that they both get ~13Tflop, so that means that the boost (?) clock of 1.6GHz holds for both, with the watercooled part more likely to sustain it for longer.

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Why are people still comparing this card, which is intended for the workstation market....to consumer level gaming cards? This particular card is not intended to compete with 1080 or 1080Ti....or the Titan line. It's competing with Quadro and Tesla cards.

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    People are just making assumptions, even if the costumer version isn't exactly the same it will be very similar so this will give a rough idea.

4. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Because AMD doesn't have a separate HPC chip. Because no matter the naming, this is the same hardware that will end up in the consumer cards too.

5. xrodney

xrodney Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Eagle
    That clock is for the prosumer card, we still don't know what will be the clock for the consumer version, but usually, they run little higher.

The main problem with Fury was that it had a lot of bottlenecks that were impacting its maximum performance because part of GPU was starving for data/workload when another part was overloaded.

What AMD did with architectural changes in Vega was to address those problems to remove those limitations/bottlenecks and added more to increase performance.

Clock to clock Vega should be considerably faster than Fury, but I would still expect variances game by game depending on how specific game utilize HW.
    In other words, gain here will vary game by game.

You should spend some time watching technical videos explaining Changes done in Vega and what impact they can have. There are plenty of them on youtube.

6. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Yet all of these are just supposing things since we don't really know how any of the architectural changes affects performance, except that the memory controller behaves much better when vram-starved.

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    To be fair, you did mention "at least 1600MHz".
    Boost clock max, yes, I agree.

I don't think this chip will clock much beyond that, for the moment.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The "at least" part means that this is a workstation card. It is literally the lowest absolutely stable clock that the chip can get. It won't be a great surprise if gaming cards clock better.

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    If we go by what 480's could do. At most I would see us getting 1800mhz Vega.

But that already would be amazing.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    Yeah, but I expect it to be the WC version that hits 1600 constantly, with the AC version not getting that high all the time, depending on load.
    I suppose they could disable some sections that are not needed for Gamers, if thats possible, and hit higher clocks, but I don't think they can.

11. Junas28

Junas28 New Member

GPU:
    Gig 390
    You may want to check this channel.
    (can't post a channel link bcs reasons:puke2:)
    quick search NerdTechGasm on YT

I have seen many of your previous posts and you allready know many of the topics on that channel. Nevertheless it's a terrific summary.

12. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Anyone thinking the Fury X needs the watercooling is sorely mistaken I have the fan speed on mine locked at 20% and it never goes above 48C. The Fury also stays cooler than the 290x/390x as well with slower fan speeds. Simply a cooler chip.

13. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I use mine with Afterburner and Custom Fan settings. On desktop Fan is on 11%, rarely going over 20% in gaming. And temperature is same.

And Yes, I think Fury X needs it, because I like it. (It is quiet and efficient.)
    My personal plan is to skip Vega and get Navi. Or I may consider BIG Vega later on.

14. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    same. afterburner custom fan curve. Mine is set to ramp up at 80 and it never gets there. I use 20% over a lower setting though because the fan on mine makes a weird noise.

And yeah I opted to get the liquid cooler Fury X just because of the noise factor. I don't overclock so could care less about that **** but the fact that my gpu makes no noise and stays cool is great to me.

A friend has a few Fury air cooled cards and his top out at 70 with a silence optimized fan curve which to me is acceptable as well. Makes me curious about Vega if i should go for the LCS model again or not. I most likely will after my Fury X experience.

If someone comes out with a full cover kit Vega card though I will probably get a EKWB Predator 360 or the new Fractal 360 aio and run cpu and gpu on water though.

15. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    I Really hope there is a similar Vega to my Sapphire Fury Tri-X, love it's cooler design!

Playing 4k and games like PoE, Deus Ex : HR or Fallout 3 (just what I've been playing lately) temps stay under 70c (even well under) and the fans never even spin up - so is effectively passively cooled.
    - great point is fans will likely never wear out :)

Of course more demanding games get the fans moving, but only at 20%ish

Big card though, which is fine in my case ;)

[​IMG]
    The exposed HS beyond the PCB allows good passive airflow cooling.

EDIT:
    I might add that afterburner reports fan speeds of 23% give or take a bit at cooler temps but the fans are in fact not spinning (have a clear case panel), but once temps hit the threshold the fans do spin up despite almost the same speeds reported

Last edited: May 20, 2017