Radeon Software Slimmer

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GSDragoon, Jul 3, 2020.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    What do you mean by security implications? Are there vulnerabilities with the software that I'm not aware of or is this more of a company policy thing because it's external or 3rd party?

You are correct, for the installer packages it's just JSON files. Specifically "Bin64\cccmanifest_64.json" and "Config\InstallManifest.json". Inside those files will be an array of packages. All it does is remove the desired package(s) from the list.

The details are here: https://github.com/GSDragoon/Radeon...Slimmer/Models/PreInstall/PackageListModel.cs

For scheduled tasks, it's native Windows scheduled task xml files. It sets the "Enabled" element to false.

For display driver components, it just deletes the child folders in the display driver directory (under "Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF" for Windows 10, for example).

2. BlackOps

BlackOps Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Yes. its more a policy thing due to it being a third party. tbh, Thanks for the clarification on how the program works.

GSDragoon likes this.
  3. kalima

kalima Member Guru

GPU:
    RX7900XTX/RX6800M
    Depend of your environnement, you have probably deployment tool. We use SCCM with custom package and we deploy some drivers like that with only .inf and necessary files like DLL. For some workstation with requirement AMD Control Panel, i have deployment script by powershell for Driver + .msi of control panel, all on a SCCM package.

I don't see the plus-value of Radeon Software Slimmer in enterprise, and if you want still have support from your OEM , you need to use driver certified by OEM, no driver from AMD.

Your job , your decision ;)

Edit

But your way can be great if you have some workstation out-of-support or with special need of driver.

Don't forget AMD have special business driver : AMD Software: PRO Edition 22.Q3 Release Notes | AMD I never tested but i suppose radeon software slimmer can manage pro package too.

4. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    VERY useful software. Please make thread sticky already! It is deserved.

5. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.10.0
    https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.10.0

Had some time and energy to work on this lately. Hopefully nothing is broken. There were a lot of misc under the hood changes made along with several new features.

New Features

• Pre Install
      • Added the ability to undo modifications to the installer and revert to defaults. (Only works if modifications are made with this version or later.)
      • Added reading description for AMDOCL (AMD-OpenCL User Mode driver) and AMDWIN (AMD-Windows Support Components).
      • Updated the filter to browse for installers to include other types (such as Radeon Pro drivers)
      • Added functionality to launch the AMD Cleanup Utility.
    • Post Install
      • Added temp folder for cl.cache.
      • Initial loading of post install data is done on startup on a background thread.
    • Added icons to all buttons.
    • Added .NET 7 version.
    Changes to Existing Functionality
    • Post Install: Moved refresh button at the bottom of the window.
    • Updated UI to remove unnecessary spacing and better alignment in various placed.
    Defects Fixed
    • Pre Install: Fixed crash when entering paths with invalid directory and/or file characters.
    Dependencies Updated
    • Newtonsoft.Json 13.0.1 -> 13.0.3
    • System.IO.Abstractions 17.2.3 -> 19.2.29
    • System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController 6.0.0 -> 7.0.0
    Other Changes
    • Updated handling of combining paths to better deal with differences in path formats.
    • Several other miscellaneous code improvements.
    https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.10.0

6. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
  7. newls1

newls1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    what are the typical BLOAT to remove? im slightly confused and dont want to screw up my system!

8. geckoonair

geckoonair New Member

GPU:
    AMD
    Overlay is not working even though I have DVR component installed. If I enable the overlay and close the radeon software I see it disabled aigen if I check. please fix

9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    That depends on which GPU you have (like does it have USB-c port?) and which features you want to use (like HDMI Audio? VR stuff?). On my RX 6600, I remove everything to do with the audio, USB amducsi, WVR, AUEP, Link, and LED, but keep the main driver, DVR, Branding. It is a bit trial and error to be honest, a lot the things get removed/added from version to version and are a bit cryptic about what they do.

10. newls1

newls1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i have a 7900xtx and want to remove as much as i can. only thing i use is the control panal and OC features

11. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    Same as me, but mine is a 6600. I'm guessing the 7900XTx has a USB-C port? You may want to leave the driver for that? Here are images showing exactly what I keep in each of the 3 pre-install sections, and have had great luck with it. After those settings, hit "Modify Installer" then store that folder where the driver was extracted to for later and/or install from that folder. A few of them I kept, I am not even sure what they do, but better safe than sorry.

slimmer-driver.jpg slimmer-packages.jpg slimmer-schtasks.jpg slimmer-components.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  12. BlackOps

BlackOps Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    How do i replicate the option for "only driver install" offered via the GUI. I want to be able to deploy the setup exe silently and since there is no commandline switch to do a driver only install, the only option is to modify the installer via this tool

13. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600