Radeon Software Slimmer

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GSDragoon, Jul 3, 2020.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.4.0

No new functionality, but I wanted to get a .NET 6 version out there. 7-Zip happened to have an update today too.

Dependencies Updated
    • MahApps.Metro.IconPacks.FontAwesome 4.10.0 -> 4.11.0
    • System.ServiceProcess.ServiceController 5.0.0 -> 6.0.0
    • 7-Zip 19.00 -> 21.05
    Other Changes
    • Added .NET 6.0 version (requires .NET Desktop Runtime 6.0.x)
    • Removed .NET 5.0 and .NET Core 3.1 versions
    • .NET Framework 4.8 version remains
    Full Changelog: 1.3.0...1.4.0

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.4.0

somemadcaaant, XOWNY, Pictus and 2 others like this.
  2. Il_Padrino7

Il_Padrino7 New Member

GPU:
    AMD RX5700XT 8GB
    Just wanted to say hi and give my thanks for the Radeon Software Slimmer.

I'm another grumpy old man that remembers having optional features back in the day (as in, things that you could opt out), so it's with great satisfaction that I see this tool to (finally!) disable as much crap as possible from the AMD Radeon installers.

I did not have any doubts, also thanks to this thread, but...
    If I'm allowed a suggestion, perhaps a compact but informative "quick guide", be it in written or in video form (in the wiki?), with examples or most suggested settings for simplicity sake, would go a long way, especially for newcomers and users who are less aware but will appreciate this tool.

As someone already said here before, this is like a little oasis in the Radeon third party tools desert. :)
    Again, many many thanks!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
  3. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.5.0

Been mostly just keeping dependencies updated. I did want to get an update out to make a small change that will allow it to work with Steam Deck drivers. I have some ideas for a new feature but I'll ask for some help on that soon since I need to know what other systems look like.

Dependencies Updated
    • 7-Zip 21.05 -> 21.07 (Bug in versions 21.00-21.05 was fixed: 7-Zip didn't set attributes of directories during archive extracting)
    • System.IO.Abstractions 13.2.47-> 16.1.22
    • TaskScheduler 2.9.2 -> 2.10.1 (Added support for .NET 6.0)
    Other Changes
    • Updated how Display Driver Components are loaded so that it also works with the new Steam Deck drivers

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.5.0

4. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    If anyone is having problems opening today's 22.3.1 driver, they changed the driver file name formatting. It no longer contains the word "radeon". You can simply change the default filename filter from the Open dialog to "Executables (*.exe)" and it should show up.

I plan on looking at today's driver and getting out a new build of this tool ASAP with any changes it needs to account for once the work day ends for me.

Attached Files:

somemadcaaant and MerolaC like this.

5. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.6.0

Quick update for 22.3.1 drivers released today

New Features
    • Post Install: Added detection for AMDAcpBtAudioService (AMD Audio CoProcessor Bluetooth Audio filter driver)
    • Post Install: Added temp file locations
      • ..\AppData\Local\AMD\cl.cache
      • ..\AppData\Local\AMD\DxcCache
      • ..\AppData\Local\AMD\LINK\game_cache
      • ..\AppData\Local\AMDSoftwareInstaller\cache
      • ..\AppData\LocalLow\AMD\DxcCache
    Other Changes
    • Pre Install: Updated default filter for the open file dialog when browsing for installer files to account for file name changes with 22.3.1

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.6.0

somemadcaaant, HaTrickz and MerolaC like this.
  6. HaTrickz

HaTrickz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    Anybody figured out yet which component is responsible for RSR ?

7. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    I assume it's just part of the display driver and configured with Radeon Settings, which just edits the registry. Chill, Anti-lag, FRTC, Boost, etc all work that way. There's no separate process or service to handle them.

8. HaTrickz

HaTrickz Member

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Pulse
    With my usual install (Settings, Display driver and crash defender) the switch for RSR is present but doesn't do anything.
    AMD release notes compatibility part states that the full install is needed for RSR to function.
    After a quick test it looks like it's dependent on the DVR component, haven't checked which part of it exactly but seems to work fine if kept.

9. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    Hi,

Having trouble running the 1.6 version of Radeon Slimmer in that it says I'm missing frameworks and it directs me to .Net 6.04 64bit download installer which I install. After that it still says I'm missing the framework. What could be wrong?

EDIT: Installed console accidentally instead of desktop version!

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  10. CCoR-

CCoR- Guest

GPU:
    AMD ASUS Strix RX580 8GB
    Any ideas as to why my settings for each game profile keep resetting on its own?

11. tiny_goblin

tiny_goblin New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro 5600M
    Hey GSDragoon! Would you kindly update AMD Software Slimmer? I'd like to get rid of AMD Bug Report Tool, it keeps installing itself even if I turn everything off and use Driver Only type of setup.

By the way if somebody knows: on the latest 22.5.2 driver my metrics overlay switch is always stuck in disabled position, no way to turn on metrics. Can that be fixed somehow? It most certainly is not related to AMD SS because other user reported similar issue.

GeRmAnOs likes this.
  12. tiny_goblin

tiny_goblin New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro 5600M
    Sorry, my latest post was false positive. Metrics overlay cannot be enabled if you use Minimal Install type of installation AND/OR if you remove AMD DVR (AMD DVR64) using AMD Software Slimmer. Also hotkeys stop working if you remove AMD DVR. Hope it helps someone.

P.S. To keep overlay and hotkeys working you only need Driver, Control Panel and DVR. You can strip out all other Packages, Scheduled Tasks and Display Driver Components.

13. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    You can click the ? and they lead you to here:
    https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/wiki

So you know what is what.

tiny_goblin likes this.
  14. tiny_goblin

tiny_goblin New Member

GPU:
    Radeon Pro 5600M
    Thank you, I've missed the navigation block on the right and assumed wiki is in development (is empty).

MerolaC likes this.
  15. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.7.0

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.7.0

New Features
    • Pre Install: Added description for AMD-Dynamic Audio Noise Suppression display driver component
    • Post Install: Added temp file location for new OpenGL shader cache (OglpCache)
    • Added file description to executable (used as the default name when pinning to the Start Menu, instead of the file name)
    Changes to Existing Functionality
    • Post Install: Updated temp file location under System32\AMD to only include specific folders (EeuDumps and MmdDumps).
    Dependencies Updated
    • System.IO.Abstractions.16.1.22 -> System.IO.Abstractions.17.0.24
    • 7-Zip 21.07 -> 22.01

MerolaC and GeRmAnOs like this.

16. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    Radeon Software Slimmer 1.8.0

https://github.com/GSDragoon/RadeonSoftwareSlimmer/releases/tag/1.8.0

New Features
    • Pre Install: Added Select All/None buttons for Display Driver Components
    • Post Install: Added option to enable/disable Windows App that auto starts up Radeon Software
    Changes to Existing Functionality
    • Pre Install: Changed Packages and Scheduled Tasks buttons to Select All/None so they are all the same
    Defects Fixed
    • Pre Install: Fixed a bug that didn't extract the installer if the current working directory is not where the program is running from
    Dependencies Updated
    • System.IO.Abstractions: 17.0.24 -> 17.2.3
    Other Changes
    • Created registry abstraction for testibility and updated all registry interactions to use it
    • Moved off unmaintained GitHub Action for creating releases

17. kalima

kalima Member Guru

GPU:
    RX7900XTX/RX6800M
    Hello GSDragoon, just big thank you for this software, i discover your amazing work today.
    Thank also for this good documentation.

Edit : maybe you have more information for scheduled task "AMD Compute" ?
    Edit2 : and task C:\Program Files\AMD\CIM\Bin64\InstallManagerApp.exe -EnableDriverSearch ?

Thank you , thank you :)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
  18. BlackOps

BlackOps Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Hi,

I work in the enterprise environment so I don't believe i am able to use this tool due to the potential security implications. Briefly, can you outline how it determines the packages and how it removes them. Looking at the logs seems to indicate that it looks through several JSON files to determine this but would like your input

Thanks

19. kalima

kalima Member Guru

GPU:
    RX7900XTX/RX6800M
    Hello,

If you work on a entrerprise, OEM of your computer/server provide driver package include light version for massive deployment.

20. BlackOps

BlackOps Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Hi,

Yes I'm aware of this. Manufacturers like dell/HP/Lenovo provide minimal drivers in the form of driver packs. I am referring to the scenario where we need to update drivers on a machine post OSD by deploying the installer. Manufacturers don't often provide a separate slimmed down installer for older models so I have to grab it from NVIDIA/AMD site directly.

I have been able to slim down the NVIDIA drivers manually by deleting the folders and modifying one CFG so it doesn't put down the extra software. AMD seems to have lots of JSON files so I wish to replicate the slimming procedure without using 3rd party tools. The AMD GUI provides an option to do a minimal driver install but since we are deploying it in an unattended manner (Invoking the installer with silent switches), we can't do this