Radeon Software Crimson Edition 16.9.1 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Seren, Sep 8, 2016.

1. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

2. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    No difference in avg fps in RotTR with these vs 16.8.2 (or 16.8.3, dont remember exactly)

I did not install the separate profiles, wonder what they are for? Standard profiles still available in Radeon Settings

Running stable (actually most AMD drivers are very good in this regard for me). What does WDDM 2.1 bring to the table?

3. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    WAT? You can max out metro redux without problem on open driver (radeonsi).
    In the near future you'll have two option: amdgpu or amdgpu-pro (opensource or closedsource) but you'll be able to install them both and switch them on your needs.
    Just abandon crap-mint and install a good distro:
    OpenSuSE, Fedora, Manjaro, Antergos (they're all easy to use)

4. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    DX11 Multi-threaded draw calls per second 1 245 115
    DX11 Single-threaded draw calls per second 1 300 173

CPU/GPU @stock

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Support for upcoming shader model 6.

6. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    So we have that? :p

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Idk, we need someone to confirm. I read somewhere that maybe it will need d3d 12.0 feature level and we dont have that.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    12_0 <- DX11.x, 12_1 <- DX12.x

I'll have to look it up though, it's a bit different with DirectX feature levels and Windows 10 and I don't remember how exactly it was set up plus it also differs between DirectX 9 and DirectX 10 and above. :D

EDIT: They're both DX11.3 and DX12 :p
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feature_levels_in_Direct3D
    (And for DX12 both 12_0 and 12_1 supports SM6.0 via WDDM2.1)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model

EDIT: Also seems GCN4 (AMD 480 GPU's) don't really change that much with DX12 and supporting various optional features whereas Pascal from Nvidia has a few improvements over Maxwell though neither Nvidia nor AMD fully supports all of the optional features of DX12 yet.
    (And AMD supports a few things that Nvidia does not and vice-versa but I do not know if it makes any major differences, guess it's up to the developers to sort it out as a low-level API where they have to do that stuff instead of the DirectX SDK or display drivers?)

(DICE is probably pretty good at that seeing how they've had separate split branches for a number of GPU and GPU vendor architectures in their Frostbite engine for some time though perhaps UE4.x and Cry-Engine 5.x also does?)
    (Thus the performance seen in e.g Battlefront.)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  9. realmadrid

realmadrid Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1050 TI MSI OC
    Here interesting read about SM/VS 6.0 in DX12.0

Shader Model 6.0

For earlier shader models, HLSL programming exposes only a single thread of execution. New wave-level operations are provided, starting with model 6.0, to explicitly take advantage of the parallelism of current GPUs - many threads can be executing in lockstep on the same core simultaneously. For example, the model 6.0 intrinsics enable the elimination of barrier constructs when the scope of synchronization is within the width of the SIMD processor, or some other set of threads that are known to be atomic relative to each other.

Potential use cases include: stream compaction, reductions, block transpose, bitonic sort or Fast Fourier Transforms (FFT), binning, stream de-duplication, and similar scenarios.

Most of the intrinsics appear in pixel shaders and compute shaders, though there are some exceptions (noted for each function). The functions have been added to the requirements for DirectX Feature Level 12.0, under API level 12.

The <type> parameter and return value for these functions implies the type of the expression, the supported types are those from the following list that are also present in the target shader model for your app:

half, half2, half3, half4
    float, float2, float3, float4
    double, double2, double3, double4
    int, int2, int3, int4
    uint, uint2, uint3, uint4
    short, short2, short3, short4
    ushort, ushort2, ushort3, ushort4
    uint64_t, uint64_t2, uint64_t3, uint64_t4

Some operations (such as the bitwise operators) only support the integer types...

More in MS page -> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/li...5&MSPPError=-2147217396#global_ordered_append
    HLSL Shader Model 6.0

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    What i know the PS/VS 6.0 will be avaible for GCN for sure, what i don't know if GCN 1.0 also suporting it.

Hawaii, Tonga, Fiji & Polaris will have Update for sure :)

It all depends on H/W Features, ATI is aware of that since Fiji, less positive outcome is that only Fiji & Polaris will Pack new PS/VS 6.0

But we need to wait for ATI/AMD to anounce that, so now we can only speculate now :nerd:

Besides Next-Gen DX12/Vulcan Games will Hit our Rigs not sooner that mid 2017.

11. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm not sure if I have the idle bug yet.

12. Scarecrow7

Scarecrow7 Guest

GPU:
    HIS R9 280X / 3GB
    You are mixing stuff up. AMDGPU is kernel sided, amdgpu-pro is the proprietary OpenGL\Vulkan stack, so you do need both. You may use AMDGPU + RadeonSI if you do not want to use proprietary stuff, but amdgpu is still mandatory for newer cards.

Maybe you are getting confuse by GLVND, a solution that will allow us to use two OpenGL stacks within our system.

13. prazola

prazola Member Guru

GPU:
    R9390XSOC / R9290DCU2OC
    Yes and no. AMDGPU is the new driver stack, but you will load Driver "amdgpu" in your Xorg config from (we hope) tahiti to polaris so no more radeonsi (that uses radeon drm).
    About the driver switch, you'll have to reload the graphic server, but you'll have no trouble about gl implementatione between open and closed driver like catalyst.

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You probably have. Im sitting at 500/1500 idle just now, lol. :D

Atleast performance clock works. I also have little higher stable overclock 1165mhz with this driver. Last branch had some wierd artifacts.

Try going little higher and see for yourself.

15. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I just got it too. It seems that the monitor power off by idling is triggering it. I left the computer alone for 45 minutes, I moved the mouse again and the monitor turned on, and now I'm at 501/1500 again.

16. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    450/1200 idle bug here...soooooooooo back to 16.8s. Damnit AMD.

17. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I dont even care tho, does not bother me. Voltage is still 0.950 when stuck so its not a problem. Everything else is working and 3d clocks works fine. This driver seems to best in while so im keeping it. :p

18. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I'm keeping it too, but it's annoying and they should fix it.

19. SCHYNEYDER

SCHYNEYDER Guest

GPU:
    7970 Ghz Edition 3GB
    7970 GHz here and a lot of issues.

cant do NOTHING at Google Chrome. Once opened, everything goes blank, dont see the adress bar, homepage, nothing.

Using MPC-BE and/or MPC-HC +madvr + lavfilters + sanear audio renderer, the PC freezes after entering fullscreen mode. cant do nothing from that point, so, i have to reboot manually.

Not a single issue with 16.6.2, the best (BY FAR) version.

16.9.1 not a good driver for me, not at all ;x

20. herpaderpa

herpaderpa Member

GPU:
    AMD
    so it seems the driver creates weird shader cache folder
    Windows\System32\ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ8\AMD\DxCache

and it seems even windows explorer has a cache file in
    AppData\Local\AMD\DxCache

as if global shadercache is enabled by default

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016