Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.12.1.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rambo, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Meccs

Meccs Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 480 GAMING X 8G
    I don't think it's a good idea to use every driver release thread for OT discussions....

2. Goiur

Goiur Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX Vega 56
    Where is the fat ass December update?!

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    Lets give 'em some time, because the last thing we want for the holidays, is a broken driver that spoils the fun.

4. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    its 2 weeks away

BlackZero likes this.

5. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Yes, you will find it under a tree on Christmas Eve!

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Might want to secure the chimney first just in case some other fat and red thing tries breaking in while you're awaiting a driver update.

EDIT: Though I am interesting in hearing about Adrenaline 2019 if AMD will have some preview or send it out to sites for testing prior to release. :)

7. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Well, tech press reps already received preview builds, but you know... NDA :)

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah I expect the NDA to be in place until about at the shortest a week before the driver gets released but more realistically and maybe also with the possibility of AMD providing a newer driver build it'll likely expire just before the driver itself releases. :)
    Hilbert will probably mention the driver closer to it's release but of course the NDA might dictate anything from being able to discuss or share general info to a total ban on info until it's expired.

EDIT: Though some details tend to leak although bigger sites can't really risk getting AMD, NVIDIA or Intel's bad side or at worst getting fully blacklisted.

9. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    VEGA64 / 8GB
    I think AMD is already testing the auto overclock (overvolt) in this driver already ... I did a small test maybe not extensive enough ....

Here it is:

Installed Witcher 3 (everything to max and no fps cap)

went in driver and Wattman I set +5% GPU overclock (that is 1475 MHz for my XFX RX580 that is default clocked at 1405 MHz)

set memory to 2150 MHz and started playing the game (with my current setup at default clocks the temperature never goes above 75 ... but now with this +5% overclock the temps were around 80 degress meaning a higher voltage was applied automatically to sustain the clock.)

you will say ok but this was suppose to happen in Wattman if everything is set to Auto ... yes but to an extent ... because with older drivers I use +3% with no manual overvolt and it crashes instantly now strangely the card managed to get as much voltage as needed and didn't crash after a good long witcher 3 session ...

The driver is smarter with overvolts and can sustain higher clocks ... I know this is not the proper way to test blablabla but does Furmark or OCCT seem an ideal way ? for me honestly it's to artificial load will never be good at stability since Witcher 3 crashes sooner in some cases and Furmark / Kombustor / OCCT keeps on spinning random pixels

If anyone care to test give it a try I bet you won't crash with previous OC settings (auto on voltage) that made you crash with no manual overvolt.

10. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    AMD drivers to this point have not allowed over volt.

The easiest way to confirm VRM voltage readings would be to run GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner or HWinfo

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018

11. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    they are definitely doing something, on 18.11.2 , using the thirdparty overdriven tool , it no longer limits my rx560 to 1.15v, i am able to set it past 1.25v( stopped at 1.275v since im not confident the vrm would handle 200% more power draw very well lmao), this is through amds api and not via a vrm offset.

kinda dangerous, imo .

BlackZero and bernek like this.
  12. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    VEGA64 / 8GB
    I did look in GPU-Z and its clearly overvolting the card to 1.225 at least it was the max I've seen... Just test it ! I'm not trying to prove anything :)

I just written my observations and started a friendly discussion.

BlackZero likes this.
  13. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    VEGA64 / 8GB
    Did you try just to OC via Wattman using let's say 2-3-5% increase from slider and leaving everything on Auto except Powerlimit +max (50% in my case). ?

It simply overvolts the GPU to the point is stable at that voltage. If the voltage tends to be unstable I think it lowers clocks ... will have to look further into this.

It is not thermal or power throttling from my results. (still I've seen peak wattage draw in GPU-Z for GPU only section 203W maybe a spike but I don't remember these spikes)

14. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    You're quite correct that you need to test multiple applications to verify stability, ideally including actual games.

Regarding tools like Furmark or OCCT they are unsuitable to test maximum clock stability simply because modern cards will likely never reach their highest power states with such applications, as you're going to be limited by power and temperature long before you reach the highest clocks and voltage levels. They are good stress tests for exactly that; power, temperature and to some extent memory testing, but core stability is, as you noticed, not a good fit for those particular tools.

15. user1

user1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    wattman has been auto increasing the voltage for awhile , however wattman still obeys the max voltage limits (for rx460/560 1.15v, for the rx580/480 its 1.25v) it will increase the voltage with clocks until it hits the coded limit.

that said, using a tool like OverdriveN, allows you to set values higher than the built-in wattman limit via amd's api, which previously didn't work, used to just reset to the offical max if you tried to, so maybe they are increasing their max safe voltages? could just be a mistake on amd's part, hard to say.

bernek likes this.

16. shakyor

shakyor Member

GPU:
    380x
    Hope auto undervolt will work good

17. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    They are doing something alright, but for me it's not working.

Got my V56 at July, put it on an oced FX8320, set P7 at 1702/1090mV and P6 at 1652/1060mV, HBM at 950 and power at +30% and was rock stable.

Around September I got myself a used R7 1700 on a X370 Taichi, everything was fine.

Since BF Early Access, I'm having trouble... Now I can't go over P7 1652/1100mV, P6 1632/1070mV, HBM 950m power +30%, since the system will crash and reboot.

Tried my original "July" profile, and it was unstable upon applying it.

There is no way the R7 needs more juice than the FX (even if that was true, I have a Seasonic Gold 850W psu...more than enough), so I think it must be something driver related.

I'm waiting for the big December Update, to see what I will do next.

18. bernek

bernek Maha Guru

GPU:
    VEGA64 / 8GB
    My point is that manual OC nothing changed ... Just try a simple percent overclock with max power limit and everything else on Auto. Just drag slidder for GPU frequency to +5% and don't play with any other settings except power limit (max as it should be from start).

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    You changed your system and playing BF5.

Why do you expect your old overclock to be stable?

20. Dekaohtoura

Dekaohtoura Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire V56 Pulse
    I will give it a try.

I changed my system at September.

Everything was stable and working as it should (as it did before the change), until BFV early access (early November...about a month and a half after the system change).

BFV EA, came with a driver release to support it.

Even if my oc was unstable for BFV, it should be stable for everything else, as it was prior to it.

I've tried TS, FS, DE:MD, BF1, BFront2, Superposition etc...my older settings just won't work.