Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1 Alpha

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Jan 4, 2018.

1. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti
    These work fine for me :)

2. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    strange cause i have had zero issues here....no crashes what so ever! Im mostly playing home world remastered

3. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Member Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I will rather crash at startup then use broken drivers. If that happens, even if there is fix for specific game in any of the drivers in last ~17 months, I will rather buy a new card then install any of those. And when that happens, I will just ignore existence of one specific GPU maker, just like they still ignore us.

4. N0bodyOfTheGoat

N0bodyOfTheGoat Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 8GB
    Installed these over 17.12.1, think I've lost the Alt+R overlay.

5. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 19.2
    Twitch streaming with Relive is broken and will keep broadcasting when I stop streaming and Discord keeps showing as "streaming" until I reboot my computer.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Anyone just consider grabbing the DX9 .dll's and replace the ones in 17.12.2? Would seem to be a great way to avoid alpha bugs.

7. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX580
    Havent run into any bugs that effect me yet....This is WHQL listed anyway lol

8. Hockalugie

Hockalugie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    Anybody try to go back to a previous driver and not be able to? I tried going back to 17.9.3 which really works great for me and I got an error saying "Incompatible hardware detected Setup will now exit". I uninstalled through control panel then used the latest DDU in safe mode and got this error when trying to install 17.9.3 so I tried another driver same error. After trying several driver versions to no avail I figured I'd try 18.1.1 again and it installed fine. I've tried again several times to go back to an earlier driver and the same thing happens. I also tried installing through Device Manager with no luck. Anyone else having this problem?
    Gigabyte R9 380 Gaming 4GB
    Asus M5A990FX Pro 2.0
    16 GB Patriot 1866 RAM
    Win 7 64bit Enterprise SP1

9. wotan

wotan Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 390Pcs+8GB
    Yes i have an old R 9 390 and i do the same back to 17.9.3 ..this Driver works best with my GPU

10. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix

Uninstall the driver via device manager, Right Click the video card > uninstall > tick "delete the driver software for this device" > restart into safe mode and run DDU > restart > look in Program files / ProgramData / Users > AppData > Local / folders for AMD folders and delete them if you find any, there should also be one AMD folder on C drive by itself next to Program Files.

Now run CCleaner's registry cleaner and continue running it until no more registry errors show, restart again, and then install the driver that you want to install.

Report back if this works.

11. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/01/08/amd_relive_versus_nvidia_shadowplay_performance/1

TLDR:

What it all really boils down to is features and supported options. In that regard, AMD ReLive is way ahead of NVIDIA ShadowPlay. Actual usable, customizable features that content creators want in software AMD ReLive has and NVIDIA ShadowPlay is lacking. In terms of video quality support, audio quality support, overlays and streaming, AMD ReLive wins hands down. AMD has been able to provide more feature support in ReLive in two years than NVIDIA has done in five. Plus, no registration, no login. AMD ReLive is overall the better option for recording and streaming your gameplay, for enthusiasts, gamers and content creators. AMD ReLive is our preferred choice at the moment.

Jackalito, Dekaohtoura, HK-1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Noice

13. Starks

Starks Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI AGP 6600GT VIVO
    ShadowPlay and GeForce Experience actually work on mobile chips.

14. Hockalugie

Hockalugie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    No it did not work. As a matter of fact it's worse. I get "Setup has Detected an Incompatible Build. Setup will now Exit" and I can't install ANY driver. Before it would only let me install the newest 18.1.1 driver but now I can't even install that one. Same error no matter what version I try. Any ideas? I'll keep trying to force feed a driver to this machine until it takes one I'll check back later.

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Perhaps it took out some AMD* file that was used by the motherboard or other AMD components?

I would go into the task manager and remove the GPU from there, do a re-check and if it finds anything delete it again and ensure "remove driver files" is ticked too.
    Repeat until the basic VGA adapter from Microsoft is the only thing listed, reboot and then install the driver. Assuming none of the other system files or components were compromised from deleting all that other stuff.

DDU is good but it's best to ensure you have a backup or at least a system restore point from prior to running it just in case since it can't be guaranteed to work for every hardware and software combination across a range of different OS's even if Wagnard is very quick to support and fix issues as they are reported, certainly a lot better than some other earlier uninstallers that wiped default AMD system components that came with the OS and required a reinstall to work again, I don't think DDU has that problem but I'd be careful about registry information and keep backups available just in case.

Restoring from the basic VGA adapter as long as it's not yellow-bangle marked or listed as somehow being unavailable or disconnected should be possible however, what's the reason you need to go back to a older driver?

Not that it's important I guess, if you felt a earlier driver worked better then just use that driver. :)
    For us on older GPU's it's not like the performance enhancements will be all that noticeable so it's basically bug fixes and enhancements while the hardware is still supported at all but if things break it can take time for AMD to fix things.
    (GCN 1.1 and older seems to have had the worst of it but other GPU's were also affected by changes such as switching over to Wattman and such.)

EDIT: I think DDU also provides log files for troubleshooting purposes, I haven't used it myself though.
    (Planning to give it a try if it's ever needed to do a complete clean out but for now I have a pretty OK idea of where most AMD key settings and files are stored at and can remove leftovers manually from a driver removal via either AMD's software or the device manager way.)

16. Errant1

Errant1 New Member

GPU:
    SapphireR9290TriX4G
    Just would like to thank the few people whom actually commented useful info and responses on "The Alpha driver" as opposed to Opinion,Speculation, Flaming, Whine and Cheese :)

Jackalito, OnnA and Passus like this.
  17. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Did someone say they didn't?

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I am not sure what is happening for you, the steps I provided is nothing more than what I do when installing a new or reverting to a previous video card driver... I guess you you could backup what is important on your main C drive and perform a fresh installation of Windows.

HK-1 likes this.
  19. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Write Winver in start menu, open Winver.exe and tell us your Windows build version.

20. Hockalugie

Hockalugie Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4GB
    I got it to install 17.9.3 and I'm assuming it would have installed any of them. I first did DDU in safe mode then after it rebooted I used the AMD Clean up utility, rebooted, then Rivo Uninstaller Pro, rebooted, Then downloaded a fresh 17.9.3 from AMD and it installed just like it's supposed to. I have no clue what caused the problem in the first place. I really doubt it was the 18.1.1 driver but who knows. Next time I feel adventurous I'll try them again and see if I can reproduce the problem. Thanks for the help!