Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1 Alpha

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Jan 4, 2018.

1. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB

That's the problem with people who are overly "devoted" to the cause, they never seem to get the whole picture. People who "trusted" in AMD and purchased the Fury X (dubbed as the Overclocker's dream) over the GTX 980 Ti are having a splendid time playing newer games with performance similar to the cheaper GTX 980 (even at the level of the R7 370 in one isolated case) for example.

[​IMG]

It's safe to assume that you're talking about me.

First and foremost, I am not complaining about the quick fix we've gotten, in fact it's a step in the right direction and I applaud it wholeheartedly.

However, what I am taking an issue with is some people who are downplaying the role of the tech journalists and media who brought the issue to AMD's attention, and if it hadn't been for them, this quick fix wouldn't have been pushed out. I have no hatred for AMD, in fact quite the opposite, I love their hardware and have supported them from the year 2001 and have defended them from misconception to great lengths, too. I also use nvidia's hardware, I have no bias when it comes to manufacturers and I buy the best product that I can afford which I believe will serve my purpose.

But I also understand at the same time, some people who are more "devoted" to AMD doesn't like it when someone points out the irrefutable flaws in their support and PR, and then start telling people to do things like "Go buy nvidia." And that's how exactly consumers with legitimate issues are pushed around, ignored and are slowly converted from red to green. The market share statistics speak for themselves, and this is one of the key reasons even when AMD has a better product out than it's competition, people are skeptical about them and will simply purchase from their competition.

I have not once said that AMD isn't going to fix this in my other thread, but what I have done is speculate what the outcome will be if AMD doesn't fix this. I wouldn't have bothered if I didn't care about AMD, and as you say, hate 'em. But you on the other hand have said:

What do you know, Crysis, a game which is exactly a decade old looks better than some of today's games. And I won't get into discussing how some of the older games are better when it comes to gameplay as it's subjective.

And please, for the love of God, don't assume everyone believes in God.

You, sir, are probably the only person in this thread who is level headed, I thank you for your valuable opinion. Whenever people say something about AMD improving their relation with consumers as in customer support, point out flaws that they overlook for months, it seems to upset some people. But they aren't too different from "me" when they find themselves in the short end of the stick which I will get to in a bit.

You've been an inspiration to me as I have looked up to you over the years in this regard, in this very section of the forum. The difference is, I actually own or have access to various range of hardware from both AMD and nvidia at the same time, at home and work, whereas you.. only wear the Green jacket..

I am not sure what's the epitome of being overblown; Me, criticizing terrible customer support and pointing towards definite flaws just to point out that AMD isn't the "good guy underdog company" as some overly devoted and equally ignorant consumers make them out to be and believe that things should stay that way, or someone who claims that has never had any problems with drivers from either camp. (Psst: there is a known issues and list of fixes with each release!)

But I take it that you are speaking from your own experience, and you're correct. Though I'd correct the "i havent had any problems at all, same with NVIDIA" statement to "i havent had any problems at all, same with NVIDIA for my own use-case."​
    Let's move on to discussing drivers, shall we? And if you find my posts to be hateful, irrelevant, spammy, then please go ahead and use the "Report" button and I am sure a mod can make quick work of me.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Keitosha, z8373767, -Tj- and 2 others like this.
  2. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Buahahaha best comment in ages! You nailed it. Sh1tstorm from fanboys like Agonist is coming fast.

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  3. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    I completely remember every driver update crying about overwatch crashing on here.
    I should have sent you a box of tissues and crappy GTX 1060. But in the end both sides suck on software. NCP is a pile of crap, and geforce experience is forced annoyance.

@Eastcoasthandle Everything eventually goes EOL. Personally, I have no issue and love that AMD drops old cards from drivers. No damn reason 5 plus year old cards need support beyond a driver what works for a new old os.
    Your going way to deep into that one. Now if it was 2019 and no support for the RX 580, that would be a big issue and AMD would deserve the fire they would get from that.

4. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    Good thing that manufacturers don't take opinions of people like you into consideration, or they would've gone bankrupt a long time ago.

You probably believe that the majority of the people running nvidia cards have frequent TDRs but are just too proud or to shy to admit it, too.

5. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470

Nah, the focus of my reply wasn't you.

Believe it or not, a lot of people are whining everywhere with the same knee-jerk reaction: "not gud enough AMD!! *heavy breathing*" and it's annoying.

Yes, I believe that if you're not satisfied with something, you should put your money where your mouth is. I've switched between AMD and Nvidia MANY times, always going towards what could most benefit me at the time. AMD has tons of flaws just like Nvidia. Since you're looking up old posts of mine, you can read my posts from just a few months ago when I had Nvidia and you will see me praising them and bashing them, then a year or so where I had 290's in crossfire with me again praising and bashing AMD, at the time with abysmal crossfire support and shitty mantle performance, most of the issues coming from bad drivers.

Yea, Crisis had issues, I don't care. Why? Because there are many issues with current games and current hardware that gotta wait because stuff from a decade ago broke. I don't care about Crisis at all, people still "play" it because of benchmarks.

Call me elitist but I don't care about AMD dropping support of decade old GPUs, games and OS's, specially when some people love to complain that their Radeon 3770 lost 5 fps in a game and how it's some big AMD conspiracy to force them to buy new cards. All while people out there spend tons of cash on brand new Vegas and gotta deal with performance issues, but they'll have to wait because the Internet will collapse if some old games are not playable.

I know this issue upsets some people and that's fair. It's just that after seeing the way that some are dealing with it and how that are many current day issues that are left aside because of it, It's hard to have empathy towards it.

DanEVO7 and Romulus_ut3 like this.
  6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    @Romulus_ut3
    It Was a joke and in general, not towards any specific person..

Yeah I've bren more green because amd just didn't deliver what i wanted, vega was another round to switch, but still not fast enough, barely faster then my custom oc 980ti.. maybe navi..

I've seen such complains at nv threads as well.. just found it funny how people now got upset because it states "potential instability" and "Alpha"..

If you play old d9 games im sure you will use this driver regardless,.

Imo They just tested if its ok, im sure they will release a more "stable" driver very soon.

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  7. Jouven

Jouven Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC
    I think the issue, that none can manage to explain in one sentence is: "now hardware goes obsolete because lack of software support and not because it can't keep up performance wise"
    This is wrong, because it basically means that: hardware isn't progressing as fast as before and it being obsoleted artificially (to resell the same stuff "improved") OR that hardware progresses so fast that software "can't keep up" (and companies have to sell the new stuff), maybe a mix of both.
    There is proof of this: the "finewine", the PR fails, older nvidia cards performing better than the newer cards from AMD, AMD opengl performance...
    We are being played, what can we do?: expose these behaviors and try alternatives. There is no contract of support when you buy a graphic card, no "this card will be supported till X date" like some *nix OS do.

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  8. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Oh, I have barely scratched the surface. Perhaps I should have elaborated more originally however the point was made. So please understand, it get darker, much darker. You see, it is rumored that Navi is set to release later this year (keep in mind that Navi is already late compared to Volta). Rumor has it will be a 7nm LP which GlobalFounderers will start production by mid 2018. There is also rumored that AMD will be using 12nm LP which is slated to start this quarter. If any of it is true and I were to guess: We will have 12nm LP Vega 2.0 by mid year 2018. Then by end of 2018 7nm LP Navi. Please keep in mind that when compared to Volta, Navi will be close to if not 1 year late!

You might ask yourself, why are they release Navi 1 year after Vega? Because rumors suggest that Navi Will Not Be a gaming card. So it's sequential release has no barring on Vega (2.0) for home PC's. So, if the rumors are true, and again if that's a big if, AMD is planning on transitioning from 14nm to 12nm by Mid 2018 to 7nm by year end 2018.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-vega-12nm-lp-2018,35502.html

Again the rumored, revised and fully fixed Vega 2.0 on 12nm LP. Along with the remainder of their tier family. If all of this is true it will make the 580 EOL by or near December 2018. But don't worry they will still get driver support. However, as stated before, they will already know what the response will be if you go to AMD's forum. :)

Lets all hope that they continue driver support, fixes, improvements until at least mid 2019.

Edit:
    https://twitter.com/LisaSu/status/949703565194350592

It won't be long if the rumor is confirmed or a false rumor. As with any rumor it's taken with a pinch of salt.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018
    Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  9. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    I dont see the FuryX where that review places it...

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,4.html

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_page..._graphics_performance_benchmark_review,5.html

edit: Stop fanboyism pls.

10. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II
    Event hough I have warlord blocked, he calls me a fanboy. I can still see his comments on main page. BAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Kiss of dude. I have 2 nvidia rigs and my main AMD one. What a twerp. Ive had more nvidia cards then brain cells then has.

So people get pissed DX9 games are broken, thats legit, so someone shoots their mouth of, and gets backlash. They say they will release a fix, they do, and people still are bitching. I really am starting to hate the majority of people.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Taken from reddit in the last 24 hours in part

Take note of the stark difference between:

I'm not able to promise a fix or a timeline, but we are looking at it. <---empathy...thread still open to continue discussion. He can't promise a fix because one is not available yet to confirm.

VS

This title is from 2007, so we are unlikely to devote any valuable engineering resources to this issue, which is most likely caused by a outdated API modules.<-apathy thread locked.

Looks like Fury Owners will get a driver fix in the near future, whoot!

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  12. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 570 4GB
    Guru3D only has average frame rate over time in display. Which tells readers just that.. the average frame rate over time and the data it presents is absolutely correct. But what it doesn't tell you what the minimum frame rate the card dips into. No 1% lows or 0.1% lows. There are plenty of other sites that has abandoned the average frame rate metric and has adopted to more modern methods. You should, too.

Even from the data Guru3D presents, you can clearly see the stock GTX 980 Ti has a lead of 18% at 1080p, 14% at 1440p and 12% at 4K. And for some odd reason, the GTX 980 is completely missing. Perhaps the sample Hilbert has died on him, that just shows how sturdy the AMD cards are built to be! Ooorah!!

I really don't expect you to watch the video hence I'll add the benchmarks here.

F1 2017

[​IMG]

Project Cars 2

[​IMG]

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War

[​IMG]

It is interesting to see that the Fury X in this game is faster than the GTX 980 Ti, but all these tests were done with drivers prior to the Adrenalin release, with the latest drivers available for both camps in the late November time frame. Note that the GameGPU benchmark I referred to is done using the latest 17.12.2 which has massively crippled Fury performance. It's not their fault that the AMD driver is bugged.

[​IMG]

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus

[​IMG]

Total War: Warhammer II [DX12]

[​IMG]

Asassin's Creed: Origins

[​IMG]

Destiny 2

[​IMG]

Star Wars Battlefront II [DX12]

[​IMG]

Quake Champions

[​IMG]

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Fury X gets is ass whooped by it's younger brethren these days. I encourage you to prove me wrong, with data that's acceptable by today's standards. The only place the Fury X can handily beat a stock and an overclocked GTX 980 Ti is at "blockchain pioneering." I am sure sure Steve Walton over at Techspot is a journalist who gets paid for shilling, like the rest of the Tech press and the Fury X beats the stock GTX 980 Ti by a handy margin of 25% in each and every title like shown above.

Ask them if the R9 Fury cards can have the HBCC feature, please.

Is anyone else seeing the failure in this? :rolleyes::eek:o_O:D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  13. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 3080
    I played everything just fine since I bought it, 60-70-120 fps its the same to me since I got a freesync monitor, gameplay is smooth anyway. Low dips may be a problem, but I'm stuck with old games so not a problem for me lol And for those you need the cutting edge, probably threw the Furys out of the window long ago.

Romulus_ut3 likes this.
  14. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega64 Nit
    People have been trained, especially in this forums ecosystems, to consider lowering some setting from ultra to high a complete catastrophe, so when choosing between lowering some setting or buying a new card guess what they will do.... I have showed in a thread considering Wolfenstein The New Order performance how lowering AA form TSSAA (8TX) to SMAA (1TX) boosts the framerate with more than 20 fps on Fury; same is for other games. So is no point to argue with someone who don't even have the card but knows what gaming experience others have with this card.

15. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    @Romulus_ut3 @warlord : Guys, why are you derailing every AMD driver thread with the same crap all over again?

Seren and LocoDiceGR like this.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    OK back on topic please , the driver.

user1, Jackalito, RzrTrek and 2 others like this.
  17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    yea guys, please stay on topic.​

18. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    arent ALL AMD driver releases, 'alphas'? :D *580 owner* :)
    these adrenaline drivers have been a nightmare for me so far..1st one crashed my entire windows OS, sure I needed a reinstall of winblowsX as it had been 6mos already, but not because a driver crippled my system. :p I now cringe everytime i see a new 'adrenaline' release :p

RzrTrek likes this.
  19. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    strange cause i have had zero issues here....no crashes what so ever! Im mostly playing home world remastered

20. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Member Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    I will rather crash at startup then use broken drivers. If that happens, even if there is fix for specific game in any of the drivers in last ~17 months, I will rather buy a new card then install any of those. And when that happens, I will just ignore existence of one specific GPU maker, just like they still ignore us.