Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 21.2.2 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Krteq, Feb 11, 2021.

1. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Should fix any pre-Navi generation cards

Embra and Krteq like this.
  2. ms178

ms178 Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    @SpajdrEX

While not specific to this driver, but with my Vega 56 with DX11, I see a lot of CPU/GPU spikes from time to time in Battlefield 1 especially when a lot of action is going on on the screen on big open maps, even on 720p and low settings. I have Anti-Lag, Freesync and HBCC enabled. The overall frame rate is great (around 149 fps according to the Radeon settings advisor with a -120 mV undervolt, +50% power limit, 915 Mhz HBM2), but these spikes are noticeable during gameplay and make it a sub-optimal gaming experience. As I did some testing with an old GTX 670 and a new RTX 3070 recently, I just can say that I don't have seen such extreme spikes on both cards with Nvidia's drivers on the same hardware (Xeon 2678 V3 @ 3.3 Ghz, 32 GB RAM, NVMe drive), the overall gaming experience was smoother.

A workaround is to use DX 12 but the implementation in this game has its own known issues.

Attached Files:

3. bigbirdwpg

bigbirdwpg Guest

GPU:
    RX580 8 GB
    Same here, plus last Windows 10 update turned windows protection so no rollback. Grrrr!

4. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Dual RX 6650XT
    @bigbirdwpg It is a known issue, and Spajder said it is fixed in never version of drivers (to be released).

5. someonelikeyou

someonelikeyou Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5500 XT
    Still crashing on Nioh 2 like past drivers

6. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    I just tried Boundary Ray tracing Benchmark. It stressed my 6800XT a lot. But it finished it without any problems. Consumption over 320W. :cool:

2021.02.18-20.05_01.jpg 2021.02.18-20.06_01.jpg

But Quake II RTX still hangs and Windows has to close it because it doesn't respond. Let's see what will happen with a new version of the game and/or the next driver. :rolleyes:

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Quake II RTX working here just fine. Wondering what are your CP settings and do you OC?

I had to revert my OC to defaults to play without crashing.

8. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    I use the same voltage on my Devil 1060mv and started having similar issues after a new beta bios released for AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.0, had to increase to 1075 for stability.

You have a mad overclock there @The Creator :D

9. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    Do you believe that I haven't tried Quake without overclock before I complain? It doesn't work without overclock either (CPU and GPU).

Just for the record - The other benchmarks (Shadow of the Tomb Raider, WOT RT, Metro Exodus, Time Spy, Fire Strike) work fine with 0.960V and 2700 max frequency. They reach 320W consumption without a problem.

I have an issue with Quake only. It works fine for 20-30 seconds and it freezes (but the sound continues cycling). A few moments later Windows asks me to close the program. And that's it.

Just because someone has this game working it doesn't mean that the game or drivers don't have some bugs that lead to crashes on other systems (I have an "old" X99 motherboard and i7-6800K CPU :cool:).

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  10. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I tried the Quake II RTX demo and though framerate could do with a bump, the overall experience was relatively smooth with no crash whatsoever.

11. A2Razor

A2Razor Guest

GPU:
    6800XT, XFX Merc319
    -- Does it crash consistently at any point of the game? e.g, possible that you could provide a save-game file from right before you lock up?
    If you can provide such, I'll try mimicking whatever it is you do that causes a game crash.

I haven't had any freezing problems on this end since the official 1.4.1 release, or my custom build that I did earlier. I did repeat the game twice {both with SAM ON and OFF}.

-- Of course, I don't doubt that there's still issues given some people crashed on 20.12.1 / 2 as well, every startup, whereas I had no such problems launching the game on my build. {unless I enabled SAM, this was resolved in the latest two drivers}

12. Not sure what I did exactly, but HDMI audio devices appeared after a reboot.

13. Mt441PL

Mt441PL Active Member

GPU:
    6700XT AIB
    Mine reappeared too after a few gpu disabling and enabling, but not as AMD HDA Driver, as High Definition Audio Device, but it worked. I am rn on 21.2.1

14. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    You do not really need those hdmi drivers anyway. I have dp and audio plays always from monitor headphone output. Latest 21.2.2 driver works smoothly and stable.

15. The Creator

The Creator Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hellhound 7900XT
    It freezes just in the beginning. Sometimes just in few seconds, sometimes in 20-30. I think it happens at the moment when I reach 280W consumption.

With default settings (no overclock) I reach these 280W and the game hangs. If I lower the voltage to 0.960V the consumption goes down to 200W and I can play the game without a problem. The maximum I have found is 0.960V and 2550 Mhz. Then I have 270W maximum consumption and the game still doesn't crash.

In this case, I would think that I have a problem with my old 1000W PSU or malfunctioning GPU. But the question is why all other games run very well with 320W consumption (including those with RT)?

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Quake 2 RTX is all ray tracing isn't it not just specific effects so you'd want something like maybe Cyberpunk 2077 and monitor how that behaves and stresses the GPU when ray tracing is in effect for a better comparison against other titles under similar conditions and requirements for what the GPU must handle or the workloads it processes and how demanding these are.

Thinking on it since there's also ReBAR which affects the GPU conditions as well then if you could get both of those conditions going that'd be a pretty thorough stress test situation pushing stability conditions to their utmost.

Might also want to see about monitoring power consumption and usage not sure if you can get stuff like transients and peaks or spikes but that could also be affected and if it changes frequently older PSU's might not keep stable even if they can handle the total power draw itself during regular GPU operating behavior or how to call it.

EDIT: There's some articles on just that on Igor's Lab as well although I remember the test mostly focusing on capacity comparing lower wattage models with higher ones.
    But it also has these peaks and transients and the way the PSU might not cope with rapid shifts or trigger a protection shut-down in response.

How to explain basically heavier compute operations and tougher workloads are making the GPU pull more power for hitting the target clock speed or needing more voltage for the same task it can accomplish just fine under more regular conditions.

Not the best way to put it I'm not that great with explanaitons but it changes things up a bit and the GPU might not be fully stable under all conditions so finding one that stresses the card the most can be a pretty useful way to near guarantee the selected settings are in fact entirely stable and that the hardware (PSU) can also cope with it. :)

EDIT: Sigh, yeah not the best explanation but well there's rasterization and how the GPU performs handling those calculations then there's additional stress on the GPU from also handling compute operations and then there's ray tracing and other workloads that might stress it more coupled with eventually also Hardware GPU Scheduling and now support for ReBAR through AMD Smart Access Memory.

Takes a bit of tinkering to find something that is fully stable after getting that let's say 90% stability dialed in and then there's these edge cases here where it just won't work before you can call it 100% stable by tweaking just a bit more.

Not sure how good a benchmark program is at finding these stability issues either I would imagine AMD has some good profiles and restrict the GPU for some of the extreme tests even if it's just a little it might make it tough to get the same instability under synthetic testing software as a result.

Can still be pushed enough to where it becomes unstable but that might not reflect what actual games or other software perform like and where the GPU hits it's limits.

17. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    With rage 2 and rx580 the game is unplayable with very low fps also without vsync is flickering anyone can test it?

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hopefully AMD didn't manage to break Polaris Vulkan performance again as was the issue with some other drivers but the flickering is a new thing, it would just be a whole lot slower than expected if it was just that same issue again.
    (Up to around 40% less than the earlier drivers I think if I read that correctly from the AMD Reddit so quite a decrease.)

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Rage 2 and Read Dead 2 Vulkan works great on rx580. It didnt break anything on Polaris.

20. passenger

passenger Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX580 8GB
    Yes, without vsync flickering with vsync on bad slowdowns.