Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Where did you guys read that?

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    Reproduced and forwarded to driver team (seems MOTN Remastered does not suffer from this issue)

3. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I did a stack trace using Windows Performance Recorder/Analyzer and imho the load is coming from the Qt5Core.dll.... Not an expert in this area so I might be wrong... here the screen :
    [​IMG]

I have checked an in the Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext there is Qt5Core.dll with the version 5.14.1.0
    What I have found out is that even the newest RyZEN Master uses a lower version of this library.... will try to play around with it + corresponding Qt libraries for a bit and post here the outcome...

UPDATE>
    tried the Qt*.dll - libraries extracted from 20.8.1 (which used 5.13.0 btw) but it is a no-go.... seems like this was compiled with the 5.14.1.0 version in mind....

If someone (e.g. Vanguard) wants me to verify something or be a test subject -- just PM me...

And just in case someone missed this part from earlier --- I have already reinstalled several times, not clean, clean, clean with ddu etc. and no using a slimmer of any kind. Pure 1:1 stuff directly from AMD website (or Guru3D).

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Gaming X UV
    @SpajdrEX Can I drop you a note via PM about a Navi specific stutter issue with vsync + hardware cursor?

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    @aufkrawall2 sure, please have ready all important information
    PC config , driver version , with what software it occurs

aufkrawall2 likes this.
  6. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Master Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT Gaming X UV
    Would you mind to temporarily allow starting conversations with you via the board software for this? :) Or maybe it would work if you started one with me?

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800XT
    You can start it, I will check it later as I'm at work currently.

8. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Damn, bummer mate.
    I remembered that it was an issue in when the folder was not there and the cpu usage was higher than normal.

I can't find one of the threads I've read on Guru3d.

Edit:

Here is one.
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/radeon-adrenalin-edition-20-1-3-drivers.430417/page-8#post-5754830

OnnA, Undying and PrEzi like this.
  9. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Yeah.... Bummer... I really hope the effort I've put till now with the stack trace etc. will help to narrow it down.... Else I think I would "just" need to kill the process from task manager every time I restart my rig.... fortunately not that often since I am turning only the monitor off lol...
    But hey! Thanks for the effort of digging through a few months worth of threads! :D

I have literally digged through the whole bugfix database of the Qt framework... and to check what has been fixed and is still open in relationship to version +- 5.14.0... lol...

It gave me an idea to try and turn off the virtualization in BIOS.... unfortunately still high CPU usage.... 3 % is.... kinda extreme for an 3960X?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
    MerolaC likes this.
  10. LM2014

LM2014 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    20.10.1 to 20.11.3
    Battlefield 1 black screen after quit the game to desktop
    Arma 3 freeze and lockups
    Black screen after surfing net
    Enhanced sync don´t work
    Assassin´s creed Odyssey screen flickering
    20.11.1 to 20.11.2 Arma 3 Low fps (multiplayer)
    For now I´m going to stay with 20.10.1

Vega 56

11. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Regarding high background CPU usage /// What I have noticed is that if I scan for Games under Gaming/Games it doubles the CPU usage (using 2 cores now lol) and never ends..... currently running since I don't know.... 10 Minutes and still showing the hour glas without the results. Might it be that it gets stuck somehow on this task in the background?
    If I exit and reenter it shows a laughable list of 30 titles.... I definitely have more than that installed... (however it never lowers the CPU usage even after it theoretically shows the incomplete list of games and even after exiting).

If I would want to clean it up (I have a "few"... games installed.... a "lot of few") and/or test if this is the case.... does someone know where Radeon Settings look into e.g. at what steam, gog, epic, origin, battle.net, MS Store etc files to find the games ?

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Remastered uses D3D11 :)

I mistakenly thought these were Unity3D, they are actually on an in house Klei engine, Shank 1 may be affected too.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  13. aka2k

aka2k Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 8800 GS
    This driver screws up both Substance Painter and Blender. Painter is still usable, but Blender is hard to do anything with the messed up graphics on preview material mode and Eevee.

14. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
  15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    There is no issues on the rx580. Driver works flawlessly without any bugs i could notice and has improved since launch as much as it could. Polaris just works i guess.

16. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah there's something changed in the RDNA1 (And newer.) specific code and files this uses, my initial understanding of it was that the GPU workload was too low for it to boost properly but it looks like a threading issue and something here is causing the GPU to under perform drastically. (At times down to single digit frame rates, DXVK and it runs at up to the users refresh rate if not capped or hitting a engine cap first.)

Then there's the compatibility and breaking issues some of which AMD has fixed some of which have been fixed on a per-game basis and going by the above post some of it still exists though at least there's a chance AMD can get feedback here and resolve it.
    (Crash reporting tool and Vanguard testers though going by the Vanguard users on AMD's Reddit some of their feedback and reports can take a lot of time so there's work still to be done from AMD's side.)

GCN's fairly mature at least it has it's efficiency problems and utilization issues which is one reason RDNA just performs as well as it does even though hardware wise even with improvements Vega and the VII especially should be up there too but at least it avoids many of the newer driver issues other than possible regressions like Wattman changes or Radeon Settings problems some general issues and stuff of that nature.

Polaris is still up there as one of the best price/performance picks too and availability tends to be pretty good as well, often discounted as well making it a even better pick for how well it's held up. :)
    (That and the gap up to the current pricing of hardware at 400+ US Dollars / Euro now with the 3060 or more, bit extra still for the 6800 from AMD or the 3070 from NVIDIA plus retailer markup or third party seller prices.)

EDIT: Not sure how the per-game resolutions AMD's using look like either, considering it's not universal I'm almost certain it's some flag or such property maybe bypassing and just boosting the GPU clocks so you get the performance but it might be a bit less dynamic.

Which if so they really should put that as a option in Radeon Settings like NVIDIA's Max Performance mode because RDNA instruction / Navi architecture GPU's lack the Wattman ability to lock a clock state which would otherwise resolve the issue.

Trying to force a linear or static min/max speed has had some success but a toggle and ideally a hotkey to invoke it would be a nice addition where power saving and such isn't a concern over performance and consistent clock speeds.
    (Though the newer drivers have seemingly also managed to make the VRAM clocks more dynamic since instead of 1750 default locked it's 1746 - 1748 now back and forth, curious.)

Andy_96 and Undying like this.
  17. Andy_96

Andy_96 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX5700 8G
    Is it ever be possible to have own Vulkan wrapper implementation in the drivers? Will fix many problems with old or even new games (like ac odyssey)?

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    At best they'll be involved with Valve and Proton for Vulkan D3D9 up to D3D12 wrapping through Steam and for Linux but implementing it directly would be against the various standards even if from how it's looking like D3D9 to D3D11 pretty much benefits from it in a majority of cases with a few having problems with AMD D3D specific driver optimizations or game issues some driver issues or game engine issues where it either isn't compatible or performance is lowered instead of increased.
    (Though a small performance dip for improved GPU stability and such I don't know still kinda worthwhile if it's not too bad of a drop.)

OpenGL and D3D9 code could certainly do with a more thorough overhaul, D3D11's probably the best bet at getting one at some point as Microsoft is going to keep supporting and as needed update it and the DXGI underlying stuff together with D3D12 too and the WDDM bit for the OS so eventually I would imagine they have to catch up even if that should have happened already.

EDIT: DXVK's up to 1.7.3 now with yesterdays update and a few more fixes and optimizations too. I do like using it although I understand Windows support was never intended as a actual thing and it'd be nice if usage was more along optional less of a 30, 50 oh look a 80% performance boost kinda thing due to API driver issues, shortcomings or whatever is going on when it's more than a 5 - 10% boost or a decrease because it should introduce a CPU overhead not be a net gain where you basically add it in and never remove it. :D

It's good and all but it's not the intended use case or how to say, code should be just as robust and tuned for D3D9, D3D10 and D3D11 as it is for Vulkan and D3D12 of course taking into account that D3D9's less of a threaded API so there it could work and is also where it usually works really well for NVIDIA too as a result.

Assassin's Creed has gains on NVIDIA too though so I would imagine that's the implementation and draw call bottlenecks or similar though Valhalla with D3D12 could probably do better still too.
    (Watch_Dogs Legion is well yeah it needs more patches.)

That's getting into game or game engine specific quirks though, judging by the issue tracker for DXVK there's no real shortage of these even in 2020 and for the by now pretty well established D3D11 API and best practices and recommended standards even as backwards / legacy compatibility with Windows 7 diminishes.

Andy_96 likes this.
  19. grumpynator

grumpynator Member

GPU:
    tuf 5700rx 8gb
    no because if i do clean install and then install 20.11.2 0r 3 it dose same with no software installed i.e. chipset or fan control and using x370 AMD and 5700 tuf
    ok i have a problem since updating both 20.11.2 -20.11.3 when i shut down pc it will close down windows but leave fans and m/b powered up only way to shut down is hold power button till it shuts off , now if i do clean install off windows and install 20.11.1 its fine but i just did up date to 20.11.3 problem is back and before some one says fast start up it turned off in reg and chk it to

20. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Hmm.

If you use PNPUtil.exe is there a AMD device with version 20.40.0.0 ?

"PNPutil.exe -e" from the command line window.

That's the new USB LED driver since 20.11.2 there's a bunch of others though such as the AMD Crash Defender service or possibly the PCI Express filter driver in addition to the USB one.

"PNPUtil.exe -d oem50.in" with the number corresponding to the listing with the -e parameter can be used to uninstall older / unused devices is how it's removed but you don't want to accidentally remove something that could be used even if this lets you delete it.

20.40.0.0003 This here for example is the AMDFendr or AMD Crash Defender service.
    20.40.0.0003 And this here is AMD's link controller emulation or AMDXE

Can also see about installing 20.11.1 and then using the device manager for the display driver part of 20.11.3 skipping the extras which if that works at least narrows it down to it being due to these without poking into something you might be more comfortable with using software like DDU to clean up driver contents. :)

EDIT: Best as I know the USB filter thing here is for the USB-C on the 6800's so on other GPU's or even these if you don't want the LED whatever it does it can probably be skipped but it's forced because someone over on AMD removed the modular install mode a while ago because some reason and so far despite suggestions to do so it hasn't come back.

C:\Downloads\AMD_Display\Packages\Drivers\RadeonLED\WT64A

C:\Downloads\AMD_Display\Packages\Apps\RadeonLED

Or where you unpack the driver, technically I assume you could also move these two folders elsewhere and when the installer complains about some bit but installation of the rest succeeds then "Oh well." and it's not really a problem.

I think that's about all that's changed but there are a bunch of devices and drivers and how these are updated besides the core bit here.
    (AMD's drivers, Radeon Settings software optionally with ReLive installation and then the HDMI audio driver.)

EDIT: Oh and this.
    C:\Downloads\AMD_Display\Packages\Drivers\SBDrv\AMDUCSI\WT64A

AMD UCM-UCSI Device
    AMD UCM-UCSI Service

That could be something new too south bridge driver related I believe.

Version listed as 1.0.0.30

EDIT: That stuff is also listed in C:\Downloads\AMD_Display\Config\InstallManifest.json or where the main download archive is extracted to default I think is just C:\AMD

That's what the USB bit looks like so install by default is set here.