Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.11.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Rambo, Nov 6, 2020.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Ah, damn sry to hear that. Basically in EU 5600xt 300eur vs 5700 350Eur.

HD64G likes this.
  2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Yeah, crap sucks around here.
    Also, I corrected the price, it's even more.
    280u$d from one to the other.

But, I can't complain. With the BIOS, it was free performance. It's like having a 5600 XTX, LOL.

Undying likes this.
  3. Krteq

Krteq Master Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 56 +64 BIOS
    Undying was referring to RX 5700 non-XT for sure :)

Undying likes this.
  4. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Aha, what you mean?
    The non XT variant is 280 dollars more.
    And the XT is 290 dollars more.

Those are the cheapest models I can find.
    There is a bigger difference in better models like the Sapphire Pulse. Which is 300 more.

5. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II

That is some terrible price difference. When I bought my 5700XT, it was $389 USD. The 5600xt was $300 USD. And I was already on a Vega 56 referrance card with modded bios and AIO. So 5600xt was not an upgrade at all.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    My Nitro+ 5700XT was $429. At the store, the Pulse was $409, so yeah it was a no brainer.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    RadeonSoftware has 2 seconds of CPU Time in 2 hours here.

8. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    Hi, have you tried to do some customizing in the Radeon Settings ? Have you opened the app, closed it with the X and then monitored the usage (should remain running in the background after "normal" closing.).
    For me the "Radeon Software : Host application" remains in the background and eats the CPU cycles resulting in 2-3 % constant usage.
    Even after a complete clean install without keeping the user data + DDU.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Yep, re-did it just now. Custom OC profile. While messing with settings, CPU time managed to get from 3s to 6s. But closing app via "X" removed "Radeon Software : Host application" from Task Manager's Main Process window.

And RadeonSoftware.exe sits comfortably in background, eating "nothing".
    In contrast to that MSI AB ate 1m40s in same time. (Not blaming, just saying, that RadeonSoftware behaves nicely here.)
    And 2 minutes of CPU time in few hours on 12C24T is nothing.

Then, people should consider that when system is not under special load, CPU downclocks. And fewer cycles used result in higher CPU utilization and higher CPU time than it would at 4~5GHz constant clock.

PrEzi likes this.
  10. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    Hmm... for me the Host App prevents my Threadripper from sleeping comfortably... resulting in a higher than usual Temp and power draw. Definitely some "real load" and not some empty CPU cycles going on on my side....
    I could send some stack traces to the Vanguard colleagues for further investigation... (and when you look at the thread - it seems I am not alone with this problem).

In the next step I might try to delete the DX cache and whatever caches I am able to find that might be in use by AMD Software (not sure if it was automatically cleaned by "clean install" or DDU)... If someone has any suggestion - feel free to drop me a PM, I will gladly answer any questions, especially if coming from people involved in AMD Vanguard or something like this.
    In parallel I will report it to AMD as an issue... oh and I recall a similar behaviour in the earlier driver too (20.10 ? ) so not sure when it actually started.... But definitely there was no issue prior to 20.9.*

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    It can be related to some specific setting, or GPU generation. I am currently on Polaris.

12. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    Mhmm... might be... I'm on Vega (for now)...
    However - regarding specific settings - I have always applied my settings like fluid motion, custom fan curve and some sharpening... nothing unusual there...
    And even after a clean install once I have opened Radeon Settings and closed them with the X... still remained in the background eating cpu cycles... without touching any settings....
    For me it looks like the app "hangs" on something and doesn't go into the "sleep mode" even once sent to background...

13. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    No problems with CPU usage even with 1st gen i5 - R9 380 4G. :)

itpro likes this.
  14. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    I am happy for you but it doesn't solve the issue for me + others that do face it. If it would be a problem that is replicated on every occasion I assume it would be solved already ;)
    And I think we can exclude the combination of GPU architecture + software because @Agonist has an 5700XT according to his profile, @Dekaohtoura has a V56 and @Krteq reporting 2% usage too (also Vega). So a mix of RDNA and Vega GCN arch...
    Not sure if Dekaohtoura and Krteq reported "real" 2% usage, but I remember that in task manager it should sit around 0 - 0.2 and not >2%.
    And no... even 2% of constant CPU usage is still too much for an "watchdog" for GPU + some overlay. Pre-20.9.* the usage was ok with below 0.2%.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  15. devastator

devastator Member Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070
    just got a epic window 10 bug lol it says my cpu running at 6ghz upload_2020-11-9_13-35-46.png

HD64G and Undying like this.

16. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5600XT G. MX
    Yeah, this country is in flames right now, economy wise.
    We are paying 3% more of tax right now and on top of that, they will raise it to 17% tax in all electronics next month.

17. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor 6800XT
    Heyyy man maybe its not a bug but you have unlocked secret PBO v3 ? Do some benchmarks !! :D

Agonist likes this.
  18. devastator

devastator Member Guru

GPU:
    rtx 2070
    think i work it out windows 10 showing the extra ipc has clockspeed vs zen 2 could be wrong ofc 4.7+26%ipc =6ghz so need window 10 update to show correctly

PrEzi likes this.
  19. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Sitting @ 0% here. I blocked the internet connection for the RadeonSoftware.exe app - you guys can check if that does anything for you...

20. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700XT Raw II

Im gonna do a DDU install and also turn internet off on install and block the exe as well for a test. Its been annoying but not deal breaking.