Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Caenyss, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Caenyss

Caenyss Active Member

GPU:
    7900 XT
    Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.1.2 Highlights
    Support For

• Dragon Ball Z™: Kakarot
    • Vulkan®1.2
      • Product is conformant with the Vulkan® 1.2 Specification. Vulkan and the Vulkan logo are registered trademarks of the Khronos Group Inc.
    Fixed Issues
    • Some UE4 based titles such as KovaaK 2.0: The Meta™, Tetris Effect™ and Snooker 19™ may fail to launch with Adrenalin 2020 edition software.
    • Some single display Radeon RX 5700 series graphics product system configurations may experience intermittent reboots when the system is left idle on desktop.
    Known Issues
    • Radeon Anti-Lag enable and disable beep notifications may be played in error when individually pressing keys assigned to the hotkey.
    • The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
    • Integer Scaling option is not showing up or available on some Windows®7 system configurations.
    • Factory Reset install may keep previously configured Radeon Software game profiles. This can cause mismatch between global graphics settings and per profile settings.
    • Text overflow in some UI boxes or toast messages may be experienced in some language localizations.
    • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
    • Some Vulkan® gaming applications may crash when performing a task switch with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled.
    • Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
    • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
    • A limited number of games such as Nioh™, Dead or Alive 6™, Dragon Quest Builders 2™ and Atelier Ryza™ may crash or fail to launch.
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/amd-radeon-adrenalin-edition-20-1-2-driver-download.html

HK-1, LocoDiceGR, Undying and 5 others like this.
  2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Umm... single display reboots? Or are they talking about black screening?
    Edit: Ah, they talking about pc rebooting? I've never read anyone having that issue.
    Anyone have reboot issues with the previous drivers?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That's the issue I had earlier where it black screened and seemingly shut down and rebooted, rare but only really never occurred with 19.7.5 and might have been resolved now with a proper DP cable then again it is rare so could just have been lucky so far.

EDIT: Hmm so does this actually include a newer Vulkan runtime than what's available separately now that it's 1.2 guess I'll see.
    (EDIT: Yeah it's up to 1.2.131.0 now.)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    OnnA likes this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Maybe I should update the driver just for the sake of Vulkan. It's not like I'd get any performance benefit anymore for my dusty old card.

5. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Performance is always more with latest drivers "plus support", many times freesync had problems or new titles in my 390X were acting not so well.

Thanks to AMD, there will be a driver each time, every month to fix all my unmentioned bugs. ;) I have no complaints and I still love my dusty gpu!

6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    This one is better for The Division 2 (DX12)
    Also Radeon Overlay don't work (same w/20.1) -> im not using it anyways, so no biggie.
    Best so far is 19.12.3 (all features working OK).

7. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt
    The 20.1.1 were great, only problem was the standard HW accel, so if no browser open while gaming then no prob, but these 20.1.2 i'm having not stop browser crashes, this page has closed because blah, I even had a full Red screen? wtf is that never seen that one before, had to turn off the computer. I'll do a factory reset of the driver and reinstall to see if that sorts it.

8. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    I see they have it listed as a 5700 issue but I'm seeing this randomly on my 580 with Discord or even chrome just blacking out when I'm gaming.

9. zeusola

zeusola Active Member

GPU:
    6700 xt
    Yea I was even getting the reset in windows when idle on my RX580 a while back, super rare though, but I remember going to the loo and hearing the windows startup sound from the bog :/ when I had left it idling in windows.

I wonder what was the last driver with no HW accel problems and going back to that one and enjoying actual stability.

10. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Everything is smo0o0oth. No issues at all here.!

11. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    So far no major issues like the restarting, it seems as if depending on the type of game being played will cause the black screen. Might be related to certain DX versions causing the issue. We will have to wait and see.

12. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    Black screens are not only an issue for RX 5xxx and RX5xx owners. On Vega 64 liquid cooled ed. I am getting them too.
    But disabled the HW acceleration in Vivaldi and Opera and so far so good.
    Please note -- disabling HW acc. in the Settings was NOT enough. You need to disable it via the flags too!

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a regression since the 19.10.x drivers that's been going on between Chrome, Chromium Engine Framework (CEF) mainly in software such as Discord and also Firefox. (WebRender.)

Applies to media and application work too via GPU acceleration though the behavior differs but it's a general issue that can affect pretty much any GPU model though whether it's a black tab, corrupt video playback, broken images or a software or full driver crash can vary.

EDIT: 19.7 or 19.8 fixed hardware acceleration initially maybe mainly for the 5000 series, 19.9.2 or 19.9.3 fixed Discord separately.

19.10.x sees several posts about mainly Discord (Popular software though.) hitting crashes, reboots or just not displaying right so that's where it regressed.

EDIT: I assume the listing primarily mentions the 5000 series due to the ongoing black screen issue but yeah it's a general driver problem with all supported cards though it displays differently in various conditions for some reason.

14. justdoge

justdoge Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    can you guys test RIS in Grid 2 - grid2_avx.exe? it doesnt work for me on rx580. works in other games, not sure if driver or my pc. tried deleting profile and reseting shader cache

edit: ris is not working in Kholat also

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  15. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    That ALT-R notification, how is it disabled? I'm sick of it. I want none of that crap.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    No mention of wattman fixes. I really hope i wont have to fiddle with fan profile every single boot. Fix the damn thing amd

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Aside from the fan using P0 or what to call it and being mostly idle it kinda works here but with the caveats since 19.7.2 where it often misses the target value or ramps up and then slowly adjusts down to around the target but it's also often off by 5 - 10% or so for speeds and temps both making it kinda difficult to set up something effective.

Fan curve being a bit like a steppladder and Wattman again being a bit imprecise on how it switches can also be a challenge to adjust for or just using third party software (Afterburner mainly.) trying to force a custom curvature instead.
    Issues with hibernation, sleep and fast boot kinda resetting Wattman as if it had crashes / driver had crashed do still persist however and interfere same as before and well that kinda needs to be resolved.

Not hitting the clocks, missing or ignoring boost or voltage values or locking into fixed clocks for Vega, Polaris and the Radeon VII is also a thing that really needs to be looked at to make Wattman more well usable in addition to quirks with Navi and overall what you set and what you actually get. :)

EDIT: More exposed options or bringing back earlier still kinda used options wouldn't hurt either.
    Hystersis or how fast the fan reacts up or down for one thing and the earlier target temperature too.

Fixing the imprecision of these settings and other errors would be a priority over new features though.

Undying likes this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Thats the issue. It misses the target value of my custom fan profile. It does its own thing. On every boot i i have to reset it, its ridiculous. Pre 2020 driver it was fine. Btw, overclock and other settings set in wattman have no issues.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yep it's kinda varied from one GPU model to another, Navi might be pulling it's usual downclocking if the GPU isn't under any heavier workload, Vega might miss it's boost clock and VII might have voltage issues and as a result get lower than expected clocks.
    Think the 300 series suffered from a possible lock to VRAM clocks though there's also the behavior with higher clock speeds on high-refresh displays.

Fan issue seems to be some mix of more hardcoded base values against particularly the custom designs and fan controllers and how it gets interpreted but also the idle almost zero fan mode and how this then spins up and works when the GPU is under load.
    Even the reference models are affected though so it's not just a misstep with third party models and how the settings are read and then utilized from bios and what not.

19.7.2 for Navi seems to be where these GPU's acted up a bit in relation to the hystersis and fan target temperature with AMD setting other limits or locking it via the driver and software and then Adrenaline 2020 for whatever reason made additional changes.
    The GPU should be around the first or second target and a lower speed if the curve was followed instead it often boosts into the later states or even the final state where it's close to max speed and gradually throttles down, up, down and so on.

Temps meanwhile are around 60 - 70 junction so around 50 at most 60 Celsius for edge or surface sensors.
    Mixing up the GPU behavior (Fans kick in around 65 Celsius.) with AMD's software (Lowered temperature range and different behaviors for the lowest and highest states.) plus overall being very imprecise though yeah some users get around this by loading the profile again once or twice and that can work at least for a while.

Stepping system and this behavior with overall precision does also affect other GPU's though I'm not sure as to the specifics but well since prior drivers handle it better it's a software thing and what I hope is a priority for upcoming fixes to Wattman because it's hard to use it reliably when it's off by even just a small amount after all. :)
    Been a bit of a thing since Vega at least and the Wattman 2019 changes but getting it worse is quite a development instead of making it more robust so hopefully this will follow quickly now after the Adrenaline 2020 layout changes and stuff is done with.

Never really can tell if it's a design choice or some limitation or just from AMD trying to keep Wattman simple but then the Overdrive API and what not acts up and the settings don't always work as expected or the hardware does it's own thing depending on which GPU and what settings are used which all could be improved upon.
    (Well the 2020 changes didn't really add any functionality it just altered the layout somehow making it less readable and more complicated with folded menus and additional toggles on stuff for whatever reason.)

connos and Undying like this.
  20. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Locked up computer on install. Force reboot then installed again and fine. Not tried games yet.