Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.4.1 Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 1, 2019.

1. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Nothing you should worry about, just profiles for games.

2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    DXX is related with DX11 etc. API driver optimisation.
    Jonas can elaborate more IMhO.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
    Morax likes this.
  3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I am not 100% sure either since the info I can pull from these files or file really with atiapfxx.blb ("blob") only provides a small insight into how these profiles are structured. Best guess I have is DirectX Extension since they all seem to be D3D related and OpenGL (OGL) has it's own profiles and properties elsewhere in the XML once the blob has been run through the conversion process. :)

The start of it is this thing where we see a number of AMD Chill properties.

<area Name="DXX" Privacy="Defined">
    <property Type="String">Chil_MaxFRate</property>
    <property Type="String">Chil_MinFRate</property>
    <property Type="String">Chil_PFEnable</property>
    <property Type="String">Chil_WListed</property>
    <property Type="Binary">DxxBlob</property>

Then a profile itself looks like this.

<profile Area="DXX" Usage="FarCryPrimalProfile" Notes="FarCryPrimal">
    <value Property="Chil_WListed">1</value>
    <value Property="Chil_PFEnable">1</value>
    <value Property="DxxBlob">0x27,0x00,0x00,0x01,0x00,0x00,0xFF,0xFF,0x68,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x13,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x06,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x09,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x01,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x05,0x80,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0xC0,0x00,0x24,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x3B,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x12,0x08,0x00,0x40,0x03,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x05,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x01,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x3E,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x19,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x08,0x00,0x3A,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x01,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x0B,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x31,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x01,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x57,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x01,0x00,0x00,0x00,0x09,0x80,0x00,0x00,0x01,0x00,0x00,0x00,</value>
    </profile>

So we see a whitelist for Chill and then a enable property allowing it and then a mass of different hex looking properties that are to me mostly just a big unknown but likely has a ton of different applications in the driver itself since for some of these profiles what AMD and NVIDIA are doing is very extensive changes both for bug fixing and compatibility which yeah that happens and probably still occurs frequently and then also optimizations and overrides for various features.

For NVIDIA part of this is documented and possible to glean via utilities like NVIDIA Inspector whereas for AMD the earlier Radeon Pro program is no longer being updated so for a end user like myself the meaning of these numerous flags is mostly a great unknown.

So it might not be entirely correct but overrides and flags for D3D games best I can tell though it can be much more, there's also flags for Crossfire though it's a separate entry and then there's OpenGL and a number of other settings though for these profiles the changes between drivers were mostly Crossfire and DXX related and the occasional HighPerfGPU profile which from a post in a much earlier driver had nothing to do with setting a higher power state on the GPU but seemed to be for telling the driver to select a dedicated GPU over integrated since many systems have APU's and then a few games just "Whatever" and select the first device they find instead of correctly using the active device or letting the user choose. :)

NVIDIA has a override for this as well, assuming it's similar to AMD here and some games just fail at utilizing this and then it's running on the Intel integrated card and everything is slow. It's improved a bit but there's still some games that just fail here.

EDIT: Yeah as Onna explained and then for DirectX 12 and Vulkan I don't think these have entries in the "blob" file here but might have deeper settings in the actual driver .dll files and code which I can't check but it also tries moving a lot of this to the developers end which from a personal opinion giving them more control is good but here's these new hardware cards a year or two later and look at that the game is no longer being maintained or updated and now optimizations and features either have to be forced by the driver programmers anyway or just won't work at all.
    (Worse in earlier titles, improved a bit particularly for Vulkan with 1.1 standardizing and adding more features and extensions though that doesn't do too much for existing titles.)

We'll see how it works out I guess, for now the early low-level API titles feel a bit rushed and poorly supported but later attempts worked much better so there's that as well as developers gain familiarity with the API and it slowly becomes more commonly used at least in larger game engines and for bigger dev studios. :)

I still have a lot to learn but much of this is much more technical than I can get a good understanding of too but I find it fascinating and interesting so I try to keep up a bit and at least post profile changes and such here though getting a better understanding well maybe a bit but it's not easy. :D

So much more to learn and so much I am learning still but then again computers is a massive subject and these drivers are super complex on their own with tons of code and underlying changes even allowing programming or rewriting GPU functionality in part because it's just that flexible. Fury and Vega have been altered a bit for example and I guess that goes for Polaris and earlier models too even if I don't have much info on this.
    (Whatever AMD is doing for this balance act about Vega and Wattman and overclocking has been changed a number of times even if Adrenaline 2019 looks like it's the only major one because it changed the visible front end of how it worked and users could see and had to re-adjust things.)

Morax, Jackalito, Rambo and 1 other person like this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ Yup, Chill + Enchanced Sync + FreeSync (no V-sync) -> Is the Best Way to Play.
    Thanks to this combo Radeon is very efficient GPU.

But when You read benches then not so much ;)
    But again Banches are for -> Crank it Up to the Limit and mensure :D
    again, for Gaming is not the case , We need Cool & Quiet H/W (2h+ session, or like me 4+ or even more sometimes)

5. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 UV
    best way to play is turn off vsync and set prerender to 1
    to achieve power efficiency just undervolt your gpu and memory controller

OnnA likes this.
  6. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I'm just curious what "DXX-profile updated" means. I wouldn't have been asking otherwise. Nothing to do with 'worried'...

7. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    It means updated profiles for games to run better, the simple explanation.
    For the detailed explanation Jonas is better to answer.

Edit: Oh Jonas already explained.

Edit 2: Im expecting 19.4.2 Today for Anno 1800!

OnnA likes this.
  8. Morax

Morax Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I'm currently playing Assassin's Creed: Revelations, and it doesn't seem to work properly with Enhanced Sync + Freesync (Still get tearing whatever I try short of just enabling in-game VSync). But it seems like an exception; Most titles play fine with Enhanced Sync + Freesync + Framerate limiter @ Screen refresh (which is 60 in my case).

About iChill: is it useful for me? I'm on a 60Hz 4K monitor, with fps usually limited to 60 (or 58 if ESync doesn't work well), should I use a 30-60fps range for iChill?

Thanks for all the clarifications concerning DXX! @JonasBeckman @LocoDiceGR @OnnA

9. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Remeber, that not every game 'likes' FRT.
    Sometimes (UE3/4 games and some of UBI as well) need Our RTSS.

Try it that way, Chill can be used with RTSS as well.

-> https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/rtss-rivatuner-statistics-server-download.html

Morax likes this.
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Member

GPU:
    XFX RX480 8GB
    hello

in the "19.4.1 whql" drivers there are improvements over the "optional 19.4.1" drivers? what do you recommend?

thank you

11. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ Try WHQL or new 19.4.2

12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti

13. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.3
    You should always use whql-certified drivers over beta; it's the only ones I trust. ;)

14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    its the same thing

15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    The age of unsigned/unspecified drivers is gone by now. Beta are the same and/or better than wqhl.

Whql stamp is a myth of a forgotten turbulent past.

Rambo, OnnA, LocoDiceGR and 3 others like this.

16. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Also if Beta is Signed by WHQL
    Try this:
    Run -> dxdiag