Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by JonasBeckman, Oct 24, 2019.

1. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    What i can see, some of You have problems with Navi uArch.
    One TIP tho, remeber it's new Architecture so all of this drivers are Betas at best ;)
    Pick Your poison and test new ones cuz' it will get better in time for sure.

2. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    I'm starting to consider myself lucky as I have a Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse and mainly play Rage 2,Assassins Creed Origins, Trine 4,Grid 2019, Forza Horizons 4 with no noticeable problems always with the latest games. Also using Sapphire Trixx 7.0 to invoke the 80-85% screen modes to make use of the image sharpening. The only thing I have noticed is many games fail to start or even crash/reset the system if Radeon Anti-Lag is on in Radeon settings, setting this to on with the Alt+L keys once the game is started works fine for me

OnnA likes this.
  3. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    ^^ and update Your profile :rolleyes:

4. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    Trust me, I know. Far from being my first AMD/ATI GPU. Actually, I can't remember what was my last Nvidia GPU :D

5. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800XT
    The black screen issue with multiple monitors on my vega has been a problem for a while. I usually restart the driver using the CRU restart tool and everything works fine but this driver has made things 10 times worse.
    Was just playing rocket league and my secondary monitor (TV) went to sleep, the game completely freaked out making me think the card was dead. Came back to normal after I turned the TV back on.

Enough is enough. I been team red for as long as I can remember but been looking for a new card recently. Unfortunately I'm going to have to switch to the evil side for a while. After reading issues with the 5700 driver I'm not going near that.

Hopefully AMD will invest in some decent driver devs as the current lot are a waste of time. I no longer have faith, if they can't fix such an issue I don't really have confidence in anything else they do.

Sorry for posting this as I really am a red fanboy but enough is enough now.

And before anyone says, yes I did DDU prior to installing this POS.

Hypernaut likes this.
  6. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Horrible driver for Radeon VII! The memory is reaching speeds of 1500mhz (wtf?) on the desktop and won't drop under 1000mhz. :eek:

Back to previous driver for me.

7. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Red Devil 6800XT
    Can't be bothered.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  8. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    ok for a beta at day1, not after three months..

MaCk0y likes this.
  9. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    I
    find it a great driver for my Radeon vii. Yes memory do clock higher, but my voltage and temps is same as previous. My memory only clocks to 1200Mhz on average,

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Starting to lean a bit more into voltage though voltage for the signal and earlier versions for DP and HDMI although I can't say for sure yet, possibly that's something that changed from 19.7.5 which is completely stable here and later drivers which are not though AMD then fixed something for 75Hz support and I guess the issue might not come up at 100+ Hz unless the user has multiple displays and runs into the current bug with support for this.

Overrides being recommended and what looks like adjusting voltage or possibly bumping it a bit though I'm not 100% sure yet and that's only one issue out of several others that have been around including 19.7.5 so there's work still to be done and it's about time now almost four months later. :)

EDIT: Well there's a variety of fixes so far and more coming in later drivers though some issues remain and it looks to be mainly software although hardware such as the display or connectivity might factor in to some degree plus general hardware like RAM or CPU and overall stability.

If a 5800 launches for Q1 2020 hopefully the driver situation will be mostly resolved and the launch for this can be overall better and then the code and driver work can also be put to use when RDNA generation 2 and the next hardware lineup for AMD for later 2020(?) is launched avoiding a repeat though a large part of the 5700(XT) owners are also not seeing any problems at all so it's not universal probably complicating troubleshooting and getting this all resolved.

Well the shutdowns, black screen problems and other hard crashes at least whereas the clock speeds and boost problems are but that's less noticeable though some titles are affected more severely than others.
    (Still more to learn, only reading for now and getting some ideas but we'll see what 19.11.1 does when it comes out and later drivers and what these will end up resolving in time for the feature driver of December.)

Something like that, still saying it's a good GPU and solid hardware and the performance but anyone picking one up I'd probably recommend returning it within the period for where this is possible if anything pops up to just avoid dealing with problems or waiting for a fix that could take months and void the warranty and return period short of being able to prove a faulty product when it's looking to be mainly a software side issue. :)
    (Yeah it's kinda weird, recommended but then possibly acting up and having to refund and pick up Vega, Polaris or something from NVIDIA likely Pascal or Turing.)

Might be wrong too, something changed since 19.7.5 but it could just be a effect of some other fix or issue becoming more severe and older drivers have additional known issues and compatibility issues although performance shouldn't be too adversely affected though it's a workaround not a fix for anyone having stability issues on newer drivers.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    Hypernaut and OnnA like this.

11. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    You do not need Trixx or the 80-85% modes for RIS. The combination is nice, yes. Got the same card for that feature)

12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Memory clock behaves normally on 19.10.01 for me. It's kinda not ok for the memory (on my card at least) to crazy boost to 50% over normal.

13. Jayson

Jayson Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 8GB
    I'm running the game at 1080p on my RX 580 with RIS on and I get about 100fps anywhere I go, but if I run the game at 21:9 ultrawide, I hit 144fps almost constantly.

14. stevvie

stevvie Member Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Yeah I know that but reaching 60Fps at slightly lower resolution in games that normally wouldn't at 4k is nice and almost no discernible difference to the average gamer.

15. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    No, no...you made it seem as if you need Trixx for RIS. Was making sure you aren't confused about the feature. Of course I understand how resolutions work(see my whole comment). No need for crazy talk)
    RIS sure does help Dota2 and Doom look nice.

16. foxx1337

foxx1337 Guest

GPU:
    MSI Vega 56 AB OC
    Started having the black screen + sound goes on (for a while) issue on my Vega 56 today. Interestingly, never had it before this driver that supposedly fixes it.

I play Overwatch with a Twitch stream on the second display and sometimes when I quit the game or even I alt-tab out of it (full screen with the Windows "full screen enhancements" turned off) the main display remains black, the display with the Twitch stream frozen, sound goes on for 1-2 minutes, while caps lock is unresponsive and ctrl+shift+win+b doesn't work.

17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The driver might have brought back the Chromium / Chromium Engine Framework hardware acceleration as a regression from the fix in19.10.1 so software like Chrome, Discord, Uplay, Steam and others could cause a driver crash but so far I've only read reports on Discord itself though it might just be from the software being so popular so it shows up more from how many users have it installed and running.

Disabling hardware acceleration if possible should fix it if that's the problem, general driver crash and reset and it'll recover or can be made to recover (Like the Navi black screen display loss issues.) via that hotkey but if it's hanged such as with the sound loop issue before that buffer or cache runs out and stops then it's not going to work without a restart.

LocoDiceGR and Hypernaut like this.
  18. foxX

foxX Guest

GPU:
    XFX 6800XT MERC
    Oh, thanks for clarifying. I'm only using Firefox, my only Chromium / CEF are the launchers - Blizzard and Steam.

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I'm on Firefox too, no idea what's going on with this browser and webrender but AMD supported hardware acceleration goes from serviceable to bad to broken from one driver or browser update to the next though media playback often seems to be related to Youtube and they are playing catch-up with whatever Google is doing there particularly when it seems to be from high resolution VP9 videos though that's likely only because it pushes the GPU harder compared to VP8 or AVC1 (What little uses it thus far.) when hardware acceleration is enabled so I've kept it off and just taking the additional CPU performance penalty instead for ensuring it won't be a problem.

Steam's popped up a few times too requiring hardware acceleration to be disabled in the settings, newest public release also included a more recent CEF but if it's down to mainly the drivers I don't think it's going to be doing much for stability.
    Navi has it a bit worse with varying driver quirks for media playback and the GPU support overall but there's plenty of reports since at least the 19.6 drivers from what I can tell where Vega users report stability problems and that's without undervolting or overclocking and going back to a earlier driver resolves the problem so I would say it's purely a software issue but one that AMD also needs to start tracking down and resolving.

New hardware and all but since 19.7.1 and Navi the number of issues, regressions of prior fixes and problems from Polaris, Vega and the Vega20 / Radeon VII in addition to Navi as well is quite frequent from what I am reading though there's also plenty of posts where it's working but something seems to be a bit off in the newer driver releases and the list of fixed issues and some of the listed known issues confirm it when TDR's and such get noted as fixed on formerly completely stable GPU models having had years of problem free driver launches.

Not a fan of that but it's being resolved though it's also getting close to the December driver and I'm really not a fan of multiple new features introduced at once and by now some of the regressions and changes seen are clearly not being resolved.

EDIT: Adrenaline 2019 and some of the changes though it's only this later half of the year where it's gotten more noticeable instead of mostly just inconvenient like the Wattman changes and stuff like fan curve on Vega and such.

Not trying to be negative but more realistic which I guess comes across a bit negatively but hopefully it won't take several 20.x drivers to start resolving and fixing further regressions from another major driver update introducing several things at once.
    (It's neat and all but spreading it out would ease testing and fixing though if AMD is doing better more staff for driver development and such could also see this improve in the future.)

Don't really have a good workaround or fix though, cutting hardware support in any application where this can be done (Can't be done in UPlay for example.) isn't optimal and not much can really be done short of reverting to a earlier driver if that's where the issue is coming from but that might open up prior fixed issues and lack some of the newest game changes and optimizations.

Though a earlier driver isn't going to be too big of a deal if it's about performance, from comparisons a month or two back even against the Vega launch drivers it was around 5 - 8% or so compared with the then current 19.x driver release unless a game is just broken but for compatibility and stability and not just the overall performance gains.
    (Assassin's Creed Odyssey completely under performed until a newer driver was applied for example and there could be display issues or other oddities even if it runs well.)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  20. Matthias Helbing

Matthias Helbing Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 Mini /4gb
    After following the Adrenaline driver forums for a while i wonder if there is a possible scenario in terms of hard- and software usage wherein everything works fine and as expected.
    I'm on a x570 ITX from Gigabyte with a Ryzen 3700x, 32gb Trident Z 3200 cl14 and Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W.
    For my workflow i use a dual monitor setup with a Dell 1080p 60hz a another one with 1280x1024 also 60hz.
    I'm still here with my GTX970 mini and would like to upgrade. Also because i would like to upgrade my monitor setup to 1440p primary and 1080p for my secondary, both in 60hz.
    I like to play story based games around 60fps and enjoy high grafics settings. But also need Youtube playing on my secondary screen with Firefox for my workflow.
    No streaming, no teamplay.
    After all i read i would like to undervolt my card for more efficency, less power consumption and lower noise to have my card make sense.
    Is a rx 5700xt a recommendation these days?