Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Oct 7, 2019.

1. Morax

Morax Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RX Vega 64
    So which one causes Netflix to stutter when either it's overlay (dis)appears and when a new line of subtitles appears, but only in "full screen" (I can watch English stuff without subtitles (it's not my motherlanguage), but any other language except my own becomes problematic.

And I do experience the lower/idle clocks and frequencies going all over the place in certain (not well optimised) DX9 games, like Train Simulator. The forcing VSR doesn't work in this case.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    I wonder if Netflix falls under HDCP which had support added for version 2.3 with Navi in one of the 19.8 driver releases but then Navi in addition also uses VCN instead of the earlier VCE or Video Core Next 1.0 over Video Core Experience so that's a new thing as well if using hardware video acceleration including for the web browser such as with HTML5 including Chrome and other browsers probably also Edge itself and Edge using Chrome though that I think still hasn't fully replaced the default version yet.

Even lower resolution videos could engage the GPU fan though from what I tested of media playback so it clearly boosted enough to kick up the temperature a notch which would be even tougher on 1920x1080 media and also 3840x2160 which VCN should at least have support for to some degree now and Navi GPU's plus the various reported issues with VP9 playback in particular if that encoding is used.

Not too sure how it is with AVC1 and then there's AV1 as well but experimental and limited use for now though I don't think hardware playback for this version of the GPU decoder supported all formats and resolutions fully.

I'm not all that good at media and these changes are also quite new but I do know there's been ongoing issues with support and playback both on Vega and earlier (Though I believe at least the 500 series of Polaris was updated a bit for HDCP I think unlike Vega.) so Navi having other issues there's certainly room for issues and bugs with this too and the later drivers already changed something to resolve a playback issue with media outright blue-screen crashing the system so that in itself just highlights the issues that earlier and current drivers have had to try and deal with and resolve or for users to work around.

More of a acknowledgement than a answer but for Navi there's new features and new bugs, Polaris was brought up in terms of what it supported but Vega never got some of these additions even if they had been discussed formerly but it never happened so at worst it might be pushing the CPU more than GPU and that's what is causing problems here and then full-screen might fall under different rules such as V-Sync which might also be part of it assuming it's true full screen and not borderless giving the GPU exclusive control and other changes to how a exclusive full screen is handled.

Pretty sure I've seen Netflix mentioned several times too so might be a common problem or part of a series of problems around this or other media issues in general both for newer and older GPU models and AMD just has not gotten around to resolving them which I think goes back quite a while by this point.

EDIT: And then Vega and other older and less of the big seller GPU models other than Polaris might not see any quicker action but then RIS was brought over so it's not like it's dropped entirely either but who knows how long this fix could take with all else that is going on.

Prioritizing and all that even if it's a longer standing bug which unfortunately can take quite some time if it's not just forgotten which is something that happens too.
    (Happens to both AMD and NVIDIA though I don't have a good overview of unlisted but still very much still present longer standing bugs and issues.)

3. Morax

Morax Active Member

GPU:
    Asus RX Vega 64
    Netflix requires HDCP 2.2 for 4K/HDR, which also requires PlayReady 3.0. The latter is still missing on Vega, but stutters occur with HD-streams and even SD ones (like Star Trek DS9). And it's 'fullscreen' mode appears to be borderless (at least in case of the Win 10 app).
    It's some issue with Netflix's overlay texts and stuff. Maybe some codec issue indeed.
    Changing motherboard/CPU didn't solve it, and neither did any of this year's drivers, or any reinstallation of Windows 10. The problem didn't exist on my GTX 1080 I had before (and that one actually DID support PlayReady 3, but it didn't do FreeSync…. well, not last year…)

4. Benik3

Benik3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Radeon RX580 4GB
    What do you use for playing video with FreeSync support?
    Because what I know, this was discussed many times with result, that it's not possible...

5. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Thanks, but the overlay is enabled at desktop :oops:
    I really don't see the need to have this enabled at desktop.
    What I am seeing is that in BO4 the OSD remains on even after you exit the game. It's suppose to "turn off" when you are at desktop. This is what appears to trigger the blackscreen. Turning the monitor on/off returns the image of the desktop with the osd in the upper right corner.

6. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 /AMD v7
    This driver is bugged for me, as 19.3.3 too. No RIS. Windows resizing make smudges?, multiple images of that window, on FF or just folders view. This sucks.
    Radeon 7

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    What version of win10 do you have?

8. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    I had to roll back to the previous drivers today. I suffered another system reboot upon one of the times I launched Apex Legends, which by the way is stuttering sporadically.

Any suggestions to improve this?

9. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Active Member

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    So if your monitor goes into standby, because you are AFK, or have Freesync enabled you get the black screen bug on the 5700 XT? Why isn't this being fixed and fast?

10. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 480 4GB
    Also why they didn't fix the aggressive downclocks yet?

Hypernaut likes this.

11. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Someone else noticed that when playing and using two monitors in borderless window youtube videos stutters. I had to make report. Two times installed the drivers and this is new card I just bought. Fullscreen works fine.

I have Radeon 5700 XT.

12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    The driver is perfect for my 380!

warlord likes this.
  13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    if only gcn 3.0 supported ris it would be perfect. ;)

You need an upgrade man, rx580 is 170$ new atm.

warlord likes this.
  14. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    People should just stop using two or more cards and two or more monitors.

You can always buy the best single gpu for your money and the best ultrawide monitor to split the screen in two. That's normalized usage, recommended from AMD.

shredderman likes this.
  15. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    5500 series are the best as it seems for new pieces, faster, less heat and power, 1 free game and 3 months game pass. 5500 is 4gb and XT variable is 8gb and that's the final only difference.

Undying likes this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    So if 5500 performs between rx580/590 at 150-170$ thats great and my recommendation also. It can even creep up to gtx1660 which is 240$.

warlord likes this.
  17. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Yeap and it's equal to the same situation differences between 580 4gb vs 580 8gb. Same story. It all depends on the game, 590 is a hell of powerhouse with heat and overpriced, always preferred 580.

Nvidia is pushed hard. Officially from Nvidia 1660 super is needed to battle 5600 series price and performance ratio and 1650ti/super to battle 5500 series. Supreme middle ranged battle approaching.

18. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Impressive little collection of critical kernel errors there in the event viewer, that explains a few random issues at least and well time to see how two days of 19.7.5 compare and then work upwards and see where this truly begins.
    I clearly underestimated the current driver issues and situation but it's not a big loss going down a few driver releases and testing a bit what works and what doesn't though I do think this beats the early adopter issues with the R9 290 and Fury so yeah driver needs work as mentioned before, impressive hardware though but that's quite a discovery.

EDIT: So far from 19.10.1 I had almost 10 of these over just around a day.
    Nothing thus far from 19.7.5 and then in two days seeing how 19.8.1 goes and up until 19.9.1 and then I assume 19.9.2 or 19.9.3 if it's still good will be where this starts again carrying over into 19.10.1 so that's something that needs work and some testing.

EDIT: This does explain the broken media playback and a few other issues like the reported user posts on how newer drivers are very unstable and such if it's simply close enough to almost blue-screen or outright blue-screen from something potentially being very wrong in some later driver or possibly as early as 19.8.1 and on.

But is it every system or just some and then how does that all work and why is it a thing.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Jackalito likes this.
  19. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    And you should stop trolling - there are a few people around here, including myself, with legitimate Navi driver issues. Stop thinking you know what's best for other people's systems.

Jouven, Hypernaut, miiksu and 2 others like this.
  20. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX VEGA 56
    Are those kernel error displayed under System?
    I just checked and I have 0 errors from the driver.