Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.10.1

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Oct 7, 2019.

1. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Member Guru

GPU:
    GT 555M 1GB
    Still, no news on BSOD on windows launch, crashes during games, spontaneous PC shutdowns for the 5700 series.

Hypernaut likes this.
  2. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ It's always worth to test new drivers.
    10min is no biggie :p
    Im waiting for new WHQL now, 19.10.1 maby it will get update soon.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  3. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX460
    this 19.10.1 driver works very well here although it is RC5...

4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    From some further testing hardware video playback is not working with this driver via Media Player Classic and trying various modes it just errors out pointing to something in atiumd64.dll I think it was.
    Other than that and a minor cursor corruption problem that seems harmless other than being a bit annoying it's going well far as the other known issues are at least, working well in-game and no crashes or shutdowns of the display or GPU so far though it can be a bit random so guess it'll be clearer in a couple of days.

5. Crular

Crular New Member

GPU:
    nVidia GTX275
    No idea if it's a driver issue, but twice (19.9.3 and now 19.10.1 also) my two monitors somehow lost connection to the gpu (resulting in a black screen). Sound continued and obviously Windows still ran, but I had to do a hard reset. Is this a known driver issue?

6. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    For Navi yeah though the severity varies from black screens that can be recovered from (Win key, shift, alt and B to restart the driver though apps using the GPU might crash but it should recover.) to full out driver crashes including Wattman resetting to even blue screening whether during load or idle such as just having the computer doing nothing on the desktop so there's no real common factor for what this is being caused by.

Unfortunate to hear that 19.10.1 didn't fix it though but there were additional issues for multi-monitor users so that just confirms there's more that needs to be fixed then.
    For other GPU's that's not something I know about unless 19.9.2 and later introduced it, common fix is to roll back to 19.7.5 and see if that works though you'd lose the latest driver fixes and some smaller game optimizations for recent releases and a couple of Vulkan API extensions though that's not a big deal.

EDIT: Unsure if it's alt or control but that should give a beep noise and mild blink and restart the GPU driver or graphics stack and get the image back if it's not a complete GPU shut down or crash it could not recover from which yeah there's a couple of different ones so there's work to be done still on how the drivers handle certain things at least for Navi and hopefully not something that regressed to Vega, Polaris or older GPU models now.

(EDIT: CTRL I can never remember these shortcuts it seems without looking up them up.)

7. Exodite

Exodite Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    It may depend a lot upon what kind of games you play I suppose.

I mainly play RPGs and turn-based strategy and Chill has been pretty amazing for me, just saying.

YMMV.

8. Nicked_Wicked

Nicked_Wicked Member

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    it’s a bit of a weird one for me, have a single screen but since 19.9.3 I have some rare black screens. Had it twice once idle, and once casually browsing, also strange artifacts aren’t unheard of either, completely stable in games but it can just go wild randomly in windows it seems.

One game that triggers a regularly causes a driver crash for me upon exit is Insurgency Sandstorm, luckily no reboot needed, but a black screen that lasts about 15 sec and the control panel that won’t come up anymore until a reboot.

I get that this is a new architecture but man there’s a long bug list that isn’t reflected in the known issues section from AMD.

9. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    There's a couple of issues yeah.

Chromium or CEF for Chromium Engine Framework could crash the driver and it's improved but not fixed and if it's specific software like Discord then other software without profiles can still cause problems.

Hardware accelerated media playback has gone from blue screening to crashes to working but causing the GPU to boost to higher levels to just not working so that too needs some work.

D3D9 in particular and overall lower settings that don't engage the GPU's various sensors and metrics for boosting causes it to dip to almost idle speeds at times (As low as 30 MHz.) though the behavior is to force something like VSR and super-sample and then revert to regular resolution which keeps boost active so that too needs work.

Multi display functionality with HDMI and I think also Display Port and then further issues with FreeSync support, multi-display FreeSync support and the ongoing black screen display or full driver or GPU shut downs is another series of issues.
    (Partially improved but not fully fixed yet.)

Intermittent display corruption or driver crashes though part of this can probably also be linked to trying to push the VRAM clocks too high since under load they run into error control correction or ECC which maintains stability but instead causes performance to degrade though the behavior can happen on stock settings too.

AMD Chill writing a incorrect registry value and keeping always enabled possibly interfering with other things until removed and manually set to a valid 1 or 0 value.

Wattman possibly using default settings on start until a profile is manually loaded and for Navi the minimum frequency is often outright ignored though putting in a higher value for voltage can reduce stuttering during clock fluctuations which also happen under D3D10 - D3D12 and Vulkan though not as severe as whatever is going on with D3D9 at the moment.

RIS or Radeon Image Sharpening is interfering with D3D12 functionality on a few systems where it just causes a crash if it's enabled.

75Hz and Enhanced Sync have been fixed now so that's resolved and then specific game issues and a couple of other things but there's work to be done.

I might be missing a few things, trying to keep a active list of fixed and known issues mostly the remaining known ones though I can't confirm everything on my own system although some of the repeatedly reported issues are easy enough like checking how D3D9 and lower settings behave in terms of clock speeds or the registry value for Chill and what it gets set to after a clean uninstall and install of the newest driver.

Also pretty sure PCI Express 4.0 and stability is improved for X570 AMD motherboards and using the 1.0.0.3 ABBA bios or later but I've seen mixed reports on that too.

Still liking the hardware (Third week now since picking this up.) but four months in and the software and driver situation is kinda rough so it's tough to actually recommend the GPU unless you're aware that the situation can be a problem and it's costing AMD some sales too with users giving up and returning or selling the cards plus since it can improve by going back to older drivers it's more in the software and not something like a certain batch being a bit busted in hardware though at least that also means a later driver can eventually start fixing this all up and then it can be a smooth experience but that still needs to happen and so far well yeah there's more driver fixes that need to land and get confirmed as fully fixed.

EDIT: As to bug reports and validity well a singular issue isn't much but when it gets reply after reply with others hitting and confirming the same problem then yeah it's probably more likely to be a issue at that point and while some are less susceptible to stutter or framerate dips things like the D3D9 performance problems are easily confirmed too.

10. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    Which games are working: Hitman, Tombraider (ROTT en SOTT), BF1, and Gears 4 and 5? Battlefront 1 and 2? Strange brigade (Deus Ex?MK) no dx9 and 11 I suppose even after foring gameprofiles?

11. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    It's sad, ironic, and typical all together...not supporting their flag ship, it would be a small effort to enable CF for VII given the arch. similarities...Stupid decision AMD...the extra VII sales alone would make it profitable….

12. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    It is not profitable at all. Lost working days and coding hours from software developing are more expensive than a cheap radeon vii. 1% of users use crossfire nowadays. There is no point from any perspective.

13. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    Most of the work is allready done, (dx11 is on its end), I can't image it would so much work to port it over to Vega 2 given the "little" hardware differences compared to Vega 1.

14. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Warning:
    Do not enable Radeon OSD at desktop and start a game as it can cause problems.
    Some games may cause a black screen when you exit out of it with OSD enabled. As reported by others I've confirmed one game BlackOps 4. Other games seem ok. I think it has something to do with how Activision uses their anti cheating in that game.

Can anyone tell me how to disable OSD at desktop?

Jackalito likes this.
  15. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    It is disabled by Default.
    For me that is.

16. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 5700 XT
    Do you mean to have the option disabled from Radeon Settings, or not having the overlay with the stats before launching the game?

Overlay is enabled by default after installing the drivers, but can be disabled easily under Preferences.

17. ninja750

ninja750 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Pulse
    and poor gaming performance 1080p and 1080p with low settings (for very high fps playing)

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I think hes saying before the game starts dont enable osd in desktop. It would be great if osd can be turned on while in game tho.

19. connos

connos Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 480 4GB
    I have problems with frequency boosting in BFV 1080p low settings render ahead off. It boost to 776mhz only!!!! Its a stuttering mess. With my 480 i never had such issues.

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Tested with GR BP, AC:O, GR WL & ME:A -> ReLive OSD working as intended.
    Turned On when in Game (today i was testing some new Tweak).

-> https://github.com/GPUOpen-LibrariesAndSDKs/AGS_SDK/releases

Undying likes this.