1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 18.12.3

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by rl66, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    I think it should show x16 2.0. Not sure about this. Did you use the pcie connector near the cpu? The other ones are x8 I think.

Will check later.

Here is the response from gigabyte

So, run from this platform before it will have real limitations. They wont fix the problem. You are locked at pci-e 2.0 x8 or 2.0 x16 at best (like sandy bridge). Crossfire and anything beyond vega will probably suffer performance drop.

2. Strijker

Strijker Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Can't use 18.12.2 or 18.12.3 with my vega 56.
    Every game my display goes black and loosing signal (with freesync, no issues without freesync).
    Via google I found out I'm not the only one having this issue so I'm back to 18.11.2.

3. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    Yes, I am using the pciex16 slot. But I think the card has a pcie 3.0 x8 bus interface, so I should be normal? If Gigabyte motherboards are the only ones with this issue and their support is not helpful, then I think choices will be fewer next time I upgrade.

4. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Try to swap your hdmi/dp/whatever cable as it may be faulty. I had something like this ages ago with hdmi cable.

5. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 GX 8GB
    If your slot is set to pcie 2.0, that should be the normal behavior of a 8x (max) card.
    On idle all of my amd 16x cards only run in pcie 1.1 16x, and then switch to 2.0 16x or 3.0 16x on load (depending on mb capability), or 1.1 8x idle + 2.0 8x load on a 2.0 slot manually set to 8x.

6. Mbi2011

Mbi2011 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Same issue, but on old PC with 7970 (stock). Monitor losts video signal under 3d load in games (and after reboot even in BIOS, before windosw starts - several reboots / on/off PC fixed this) or artifacts while browsing web (coloured squares). I thought card dying, reverting to 18.11.2 fixes all this issues.

7. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard

Tried gpuz render and shows 2.0 x16.

You could try switching to 3.0 again and try other possible fixes. Maybe setting base clock manual to 100mhz or 99 or 101. Enabling spread spectrum, lowering ddr3 speed, disabling oc, who knows what else could work.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  8. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    The problem has not re-appeared again and I am not sure if I want to experiment if I am not loosing much. What card are you using?

9. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Gpu? Rx580 nitro. But also happened with a 270x, 280x and every amd gpu card.

I guess playing with base clock and changing spread spectrum could work. Even only selecting spread spectrum, but cant select spread spectrum without setting base clock to manual.

It will only take a few minutes and a couple of restarts.

But I been trying things since some years ago. And when changed to nvidia problem wasnt happening anymore and completely forgot about this. Even switching many nvidia cards. Now im back on the red team, bug started again and dont want to try changing things, tired of dealing with subpar gigabyte bios and support.

What ddr3 do you have?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  10. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    8GB DDR 1600 (Dual Channel).

11. pakoo

pakoo Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64
    No target temp option in this adrenalin 2019, any more?. Vega 64 Reference here

12. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Thanks. More chances of base clock / spread spectrum then.

13. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    To be honest I never touched that settings. The DDR3 memory modules are actually from two manufactures, but they were bought as pairs to work in dual channel configuration.

14. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    There were a possibility of high ddr3 speed (2133 or more) causing the pcie bus to desync.

But if you are using 1600, we can discard this.

Setting pci-e to 2.0 is not a proper fix. We are just lowering the pci-e speed to avoid desync, but we dont know how accurate it could be.

Maybe is spread spectrum (this avoid crosstalk) or maybe the base clock is not accurate if set to auto.

Or maybe it's a hardware problem, that appear under certain circumstances and cant be fixed at all.

15. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    I changed the PCIe Slot Configuration from Gen2 to Gen3 just to see if the issue re-appears. GPU-Z now reports that Bus Interface is PCIe x8 3.0 @ x8 1.1 and PCIe x8 3.0 @ x8 3.0 when running the Render Test.

16. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    In my case, the bug doesnt re appear inmediatelly when changing to 3.0. May take some hours or a day sometimes.

Are you using any other stuff on pcie slots?

It should be 3.0 x16. Not sure which gpu card you have. But I dont think there is any with x8 interface.

If you are using other pcie slots, motherboard could lower to x8. Check the manual to see how it is on your motherboard.

17. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
  18. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX480 GX 8GB
    Even on the GPU database the RX460 is listed as 8x only (most certainly a gpu limitation), both reference and custom models. link link2

Trihy likes this.
  19. Trihy

Trihy Member Guru

GPU:
    Onboard
    Didnt knew it was a rx460.

I guess x8 is fine then.

20. testcy

testcy Master Guru

GPU:
    -----
    According to Gigabyte Support "there is no known compatibility or other issues with this motherboard and AMD Radeon VGA cards".