"Radeon Settings: Host Application has stopped working" Error

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by vidard2k, Nov 29, 2016.

1. vidard2k

vidard2k New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 460 OC 4GB
    Hello everyone! :)

A week ago i bought a new graphics card: MSI RX 460 OC 4GB. :)

It was my first AMD card for some 10 years since ATi era (never had any trouble with nVidia drivers).

I reinstalled Windows 8.1 64bit. Installed Latest AMD Crimson Edition 16.11.4 Hotfix drivers.
    Installed games: Warface and Tomb Rider Survival Mode 2013.
    Games keep randomly (sometimes after few minutes, sometimes i could play for 45 minutes) crashing out to desktop with the Error: "Radeon Settings: Host Application has stopped working". I could open Task Manager and there i can see at the game: "Not Responding". So i have to re-logon/logout/restart PC to close the non responsive game.
    I reinstalled Windows 8.1 64bit again with same Error after starting a game.

Someone said i should try Win7 and i installed Windows 7 64bit, installed .NET Framework, graphic drivers 16.11.4 Hotfix for Win7 64 bit and... Same "Radeon Settings: Host Application has stopped working" Error.
    Radeon drivers even crashed few times when just surfing on internet or plain desktop.

My PC:
    CPU: Intel C2D e4300 @3.0GHz
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 (Rev. 3.3) with latest F14 BIOS
    Graphic Card: MSI RX 460 OC 4GB
    RAM: 3x1 GB DDR2 800 Transcend
    HD: Hitachi Deskstar 5K3000 2 TB, 32MB Cache
    Power: Chieftec CTB-650S PSU

Can someone Please Help :question:

Thank You for reading this!

P.S.
    Couldn't upload screenshots from my PC here...

2. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    Your cpu is probably a bottleneck for the 460.

The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 might only have PCI-E x16 1.1. The 460 might just not like running in a pci-e 1.1 (in theory it should be backward compatible but well...) .

The latest bios available for the MB is 7 years old. Doubt someone has actually tested how a GPU pci-e 3.0 is running on it. I also doubt you will see a new bios for the MB.

You can try to see if it does the same with older drivers (the drivers that came with the gpu for example).
    If nothing changes. See if it does the same in another pc (a friend or something, hopefully someone with a MB that has pci-e 2.0 or 3.0). If it works fine in another pc, see if it does the same with another PSU (ask someone to lend you a psu to check). If it keep freezing in another pc also, no matter what drivers you use, you will probably have to RMA it.

L.E.: What GPU you had before?

L.E. 2: Your cpu was released in '06. 10 years is a lot of time. Ofc you can still use it but changing only the gpu will not make miracles. If you wanted to upgrade a new cpu, mb and ram would had been a better option. Depending on what your old gpu was you could had use that or the integrated gpu from you new cpu.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  3. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    1.Enter in AMD folder (on drive C) Driver name\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext64 and uninstall the Radeon settings.
    Install Driver name\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext.

2.If this not work enter in C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext and set Radeon Settings.exe to run as admin (in Compatibility tab).

3.Maybe your Antivirus (if you have one) block the Radeon settings app.

4.Install from Driver name\Packages\Apps\VC12RTx64\vcredist_x64
    & \Packages\Apps\VC12RTx86\vcredist_x86
    & \Packages\Apps\VC13RTx64\vcredist_x64 every vcredist.

But first: install the vcredist x86-x64 packs.
    And install from Microsoft the vcredist 2008sp1-2010 x86-x64,for better gaming.

Good luck. :)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  4. vidard2k

vidard2k New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 460 OC 4GB
    @TheDukeSD!

Hello and Thank You very much for the reply!
    I agree with all you said cause it's all common sense and facts. :thumbup:

To answer your question "L.E.: What GPU you had before?":
    - old graphic card was ASUS GeForce 8800GT 512MB DDR3

Answer to "L.E. 2":
    - the GF8800GT has died after 9 years of use so i had to upgrade the graphic card first. Lately i got a GF8600GTS 256MB from a friend untill i buy the RX460.
    Having a PC for so long probably says to you that i have very limited money and can't upgrade as much as i would love to... :cry:

Thank You again!
    :cheers:

5. vidard2k

vidard2k New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 460 OC 4GB
    @Turanis

Thank You Very much for the Fast reply!
    It is a bit too "technical" for my knowledge (as i am a TOTAL nOOb for AMD drivers) but i will give my best to try follow your instructions. ;)

I will humbly ask for your Help to explain to dummy me and give further instructions...

1. If i understand correctly i should first install: the "vcredist x86-x64 packs". When i type it in Google i got so many different versions as result. Should i install the latest supported Visual C++ download (or another file/version?). Still have no rights to post a link. :)

2. Then i install from Microsoft the "vcredist 2008sp1-2010 x86-x64"? I'm also confused cause i get many results in Google. Also i don't know what it is to be sure what to pick especially cause i see some 2008 and 2010 Visual C++ Redistributable packages. Should i install 2008 or 2010 or both? A link would be helpfull and very appreciated if i'm not asking for too much?
    Also as far as i see installed are:
    Microsoft Visual C++2005 Redistributable
    Microsoft Visual C++2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161
    Microsoft Visual C++2010 x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219
    Microsoft Visual C++2012 Redistributable (x64) - 11.0.50727
    Microsoft Visual C++2012 Redistributable (x86) - 11.0.50727
    Microsoft Visual C++2013 Redistributable (x64) - 12.0.3051
    Maybe those are what you meant?

3. When i go to Enter in AMD folder (on drive C) Driver name\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext64 it doesn't look exactly the same - I don't have the "cnext64.
    I have: C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\there is a folder/file list but NO cnext64... I do see a "Radeon Settings.exe". So i don't know how to "Install Driver name\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext".

4. I can and did set "Run as Administator" in the "Compatibility tab" now.

5. Don't know if ESET nOD32 is blocking the Radeon settings app. Will try to look into it.

6. I found them in "C\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.11.4-Nov15\Packages\Apps\" but am not sure do i still have to manually install: "Install from Driver name\Packages\Apps\VC12RTx64\vcredist_x64
    & \Packages\Apps\VC12RTx86\vcredist_x86
    & \Packages\Apps\VC13RTx64\vcredist_x64 every vcredist." as i do have the Visual C++ packages (mentioned above) installed?

Can You maybe, Please, make a list of in what order i have to install what on a new/fresh Windows installation?

Turanis, Thank You VERY much for your time and will to help!

P.S.
    Later today i installed Batman - Arkham Origins and Need for Speed - Shift and they run Flawlessly! Another game that crashed (besides Warface) was Tomb Rider Survival Edition 2013.

6. Turanis

Turanis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    As DukeSd says you have a very old platform for gaming,especially that core 2 CPU.But if you dont have the money to change that platform,you can buy an old Quad core Q9xxx (Q9400 to Q9650) and you'll be ready to rumble.

That RAM is not good,3x1 not good.Better find 2x2 GB DDR2800 for dual channel perf.

vcredist 2008sp1
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5582
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/Download/confirmation.aspx?id=2092

vcredist 2010sp1
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=8328
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=13523

Install that vcredist 2012-2013 from C\AMD\Non-WHQL-Win7-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Crimson-16.11.4-Nov15\Packages\Apps\ (if they are not already installed).

Its ok if you have already "C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext\",but its good to install better x64 version.
    \non-whql-win8.1-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-16.11.4-nov15\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext64

Tomb Raider 2013 will crash because you have an old core 2 CPU and you do not have enough RAM for that kind of game.
    Get an Quad core Q9xxx & 4GB RAM and you'll be fine.

And install this to clean Windows logs and registry.
    http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Intel chipset driver (better to extract that driver with Rar or 7zip and run setup from extracted folder)
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...pset-Device-Software-for-Intel-Desktop-Boards

Realtek audio (if you have one)
    http://filehippo.com/download_realtek_high_definition_audio_vista_64/

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  7. vidard2k

vidard2k New Member

GPU:
    MSI RX 460 OC 4GB
    @Turanis,

Thank You VERY much!

I admire Your Knowlegde and appreciate the time and will to share it and help! :kind:

I have try to do as you sugested and perhaps i'm still not 100% successful but i have learned and made a (smal but signifficant :) ) step in the right direction - thanks to your Help.
    I do have some success and Warface isn't crashing often as before (i'm able to play/finish around 3 missions before it crashes). More and more it looks as a software/driver problem...?

I see that in the meantime new AMD Crimson 16.11.5 drivers are released so i might (should?) try them out.
    Do you have some recommendation/advice about the Operating System: should i change back (from Win7 x64 i'm using now and it seems to work fine) to Win 8.1 x64 or even try Windows 10? For which OS are the Drivers most STABLE? Is there a difference between the Drivers if any?

Thank YOU once more Turanis! :thumbup:
    :cheers:

P.S.
    I'm thinking about upgrading (CPU/Mobo/RAM) when AMD ZEN comes out... :)

P.P.S.
    I appologize for my poor english... :O

Last edited: Dec 1, 2016