Radeon RX5700 (non-XT) tested in Far Cry 5

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by spectatorx, Jun 15, 2019.

1. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Recently i did watch video from "tech yes city" about Next Horizon event and the guy has collected some cool info about tech which will come with new navi gpus. On his way through the show he was also allowed to run benchmark of far cry 5 on pc with radeon RX5700 (non-XT) and as result turned out this card has the same performance as rtx2060, to be specific marginally higher fps at 1080p and 2k. You can read more details here:

https://spectatorx.wordpress.com/20...ark-on-level-of-geforce-rtx2060-in-far-cry-5/

RX5700 is announced to cost 380$ so its price also is more or less on level of rtx2060. Seems like this is the first real in-game benchmark with precise results of Navi gpu.

OnnA likes this.
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Not impressed. Expensive and underperforming. Vega 56 would beat it.

3. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Exactly my thoughts but i have an impression as this card is not marketed as king of performance. If amd wants this card to compete with rtx2060 then seems like it can do that. Personally i'm waiting for top navi and these two are not top navi gpus. If top navi cards will be able to run 2018/2019 games at 4k, or at last 2k at 60fps without nuclear plant required to power them then i will be not just pleased but happy owner of one or two of them.

4. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB UV
    what a useless card for its price

Geryboy likes this.

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    I personally think that AMD is intentionally announcing higher pricing, then will do a "Surprise! Not so!" when finally launched.

Only Intruder and OnnA like this.
  6. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    As that tactic would be effective i doubt they do this. Also you have to remember that MSRP is one thing and actual prices on market are the other thing. Remind yourself RX 580 and Vega gpus releases, real prices on market for too long time were way higher than MSRP.

7. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    Let us hope they will :p
    Or it will be disaster for the RTG Team.

uArch/Tech side of Navi is verry appealing...
    But price to perf. ratio is poooooor...

Now think who would buy this instead of AIB 2070 with RTX (at last You can make beautiful 'Ray Traced' screenshots ;))
    Of course ATI have some strong cards in hand (Adrenalin, IQ, FreeSync* etc.), but it will be enough to sway customers?

* With G-sync comp./FreeSync You can't edit range in CRU :p
    This OC only works with original ATI+Freesync

8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    As I've told hundreds of times, I am waiting for that one morning with a huge cup of coffee reading Hilbert's review.
    And for sure, the performance in day one doesn't show the clear while image.
    Rushed, buggy driver can make a difference.
    Hope that AMD driver will be on par at this launch.

OnnA likes this.
  9. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    My thoughts too - I imagine they set a higher price just to see what Nvidia will do, if they will undercut them - which is already looking the case with the announced of the Super refreshes.

If AMD don't lower the prices on launch... it's quite simply, a bad deal.

10. guachi

guachi New Member

GPU:
    no
    If the 5700 is useless when it's 2-5% faster than the 2060 and the average price of a 2060 at Newegg is $370 then the 2060 and everything with worse price/performance is also useless.

A quick check at TPU shows that the only cards with equal or better better price/performance at 1080 and 1440 are the 1060 and 570. Maybe a clearance price Vega 56?

11. funkydmunky

funkydmunky Member

GPU:
    RTX2080
    So Nvidia's cards at higher $$ for performance are even more useless then? Call me confused on how the maths work.

guachi likes this.
  12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    There are +5 points for green logo and -5 points for red logo.
    Red means STOP, green means GO!
    That's how it works. Most of people do not realize changes in playing field until they are run over by them.

As for the pricing. Performance per $ at launch of 5700 will be same or very close to 2060 unless nVidia does not do some price cutting.
    5700XT will come at better performance per $ than 2070. I dare to say that there may be scenarios(games/scenes) where it will touch 2080 in performance.

Secondly, those cards will be popular with budget competitive gamers. They seem to be capable to deliver much higher fps per brute force than GCN based cards.
    This means that with GCN one needed higher resolution to get most of computational power out of their GPU. (I do expect that 1% and 0.1% fps results will shine good light on Navi.)
    With RDNA even lower resolutions will do well. (Which is what interests me.)

I would love to have bigger Navi/RDNA GPU. I am getting 5700 XT unless there is reason to believe that bigger chip is coming soonish.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    OnnA likes this.
  13. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 XTX LiQuiD
    IMO Big Navi will be with HBM2 or HBM3 and not sooner that summer 2020 (or at Computex Q4 2019)
    We already know it's code name: Arcturus :p (But it need to have Path-Trace)

I prefer Radeons over RTX/GTX because of Adrenalin Settings, IQ, ACE, FreeSync & HBCC...
    Best scenario is to have 2080Ti/Titan Perf. for 599-699€

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    The_Amazing_X likes this.
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    From papers I did read on raytracing via shaders prior DX-R, almost all of them noted that memory bandwidth is an issue. Due to no local store.
    Did AMD who's actually doing it traditional way for years include those "L0" to improve on this?

Then I do not think AMD needs to go to HBM2 for desktops this time around. I think that 12x 1GB GDDR6 will do for bandwidth.
    AMD stated that Navi has improved delta compression and that shaders can read/write this information directly. This change may save bandwidth and computational cycles too.

This is GCN note:
    "Partial writes require special care. In case of uncompressed data, it’s possible to simply mask the writes. For compressed data, this doesn’t work, and hence the data must be first read, decompressed, updated, and then written back to preserve the untouched channels. To efficiently use compression, it is best to fully overwrite the underlying data if it is not needed for blending so write all the channels at the same time if possible."

OnnA likes this.