Radeon RX Vega Photos From AMD LA Event

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 30, 2017.

1. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    AMD Capsaicin SIGGRAPH 2017 by PC Gaming TV

In 1 hour from now 5PM EST,someone is streaming

AMD Capsaicin SIGGRAPH 2017 by PC Gaming TV

2. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Actually if Intel doesn't price Coffee Lakes well, it may lose a big portion of the CPU share until Cannonlake.

3. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    Tired of ppl claiming Nvidia is getting more expensive every time.
    Go and look at all the cards released between 2001 and now, pick the second biggest model, compare prices,
    now go back and edit your post...

Tired of ppl saying we should buy a different brand, because its just as good/just one step behind etc.
    A step behind, is still a step behind..

It's not the consumers fault that amd struggles to regularly provide hardware that performs same/better than the competition.
    Same reason we don't buy bottled glacier water from a small Alaskan town because its an under dog (vs deer/nestle etc) and provides competition.

Almost everyone will buy pc hardware based on one or more things like performance/power consumption/heat produced in relation to the price/budget.
    From some exceptions, in the last few years not one product from amd performed identical to what intel/nv offered at the same price, and the main reason i have a 3770k right now and almost only nv cards since 2002.

But im happy to be able to go back running an amd cpu, as i started with a 1ghz athlon..

4. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Till the 290x, AMD had choice for high end GPUs in terms of performance. That's 4 years' time.

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I like amd and nvidia but this is far to late. I would still love to see the benchmarks but I think it's much to late to compete with nvidia now cause they already busy working on something else and then they will just release something that will be better than amd vega and then they have to improve yet again and take a very long time.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How is this any different than the 7970 which was ~350mm2 and $550 launch?

R&D costs for new GPU's have increased, die shrinks no longer give massive reductions to transistor costs and the overall size of the PC market (not gaming but the entire market) is shrinking.

Also the cost ignores the target market for each card, especially this generation. You basically needed a minimum of $500+ GTX980/290x to play every single game at 1080p 60+ fps last generation. With Pascal/Polaris that cost is now ~$200-250. 90+% of gamers run 1080p or lower according to steam hardware survey. Which means that for 90%+ gamers the cost of purchasing a card that can play every game for them at reasonable framerate just halved.

So yeah, x80 prices might be increasing but there is some legitimate reasons for that to happen and the number of gamers that need a x80 card to play the games they play has significantly decreased.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  7. Spawn182

Spawn182 Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extr

HardOCP
    did an article on NVIDIAs price history and I cannot see any facts for your theory.

I get your point with the crippled DP performance. But I think there are not many gamers out there who are in need for DP. I am more concerned about the crippled half precision performance which can be used in game engines quite well.

8. jortego128

jortego128 Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 4GB
    Just in from videocardz site:

Vega XTX Water Cooled = 1080 performance with better minimums. This seems legit as that would explain why more people picked Vega over 1080 in their blind tests. They show official looking slides. Still take with grain of salt.

They will be selling Radeon packs with 2 games and coupons for $100 off certain mobos and $200 off Freesync monitors.

I cant wait to see what Nvidia counters with.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  9. crkwhr

crkwhr Member Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080ti sc2
    The blind test was the Vega XT just under the water cooled vs a 1080ti. Either way i dont know why people are getting strung out till benchmarks are out. Tilll then its just blind guessing how they will perform.

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/07/26/blind_test_rx_vega_freesync_vs_gtx_1080_ti_gsync

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I just want to quote this guy in the comments section from that site;

"Pigeon >
    It'll be a heck of a lot cheaper here in the UK. The cheapest GTX 1080 I can get is £600 from EBuyer. The entry level RX Vega is almost half that price and if performance is even close to the GTX 1080 I'll be delighted and so will many others."

Here's one for £450 lol.
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ocuk...dr5x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-21c-ok.html

:nerd:

11. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Stormyandcold
    "cheaper"?
    says who?

mining driving prices up, and i could sell my 1060/6gb USED for 350US$ on ebay, while i bought it for 250$.
    now compare the 1060 performance to an amd (or any) card that sells for 250, right...

besides that, you're comparing a card that i can actually buy, vs one that needs to see retail yet, or benchmarks for that matter.

lets see how prices will most likely double (retail) because buying/mining frenzy.

12. aKiss

aKiss Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050ti LP
    What is the AMD indian guy been smoking? Hash?
    How can you sell a card with double the TDP of the competitor and compare it to minimum FPS?
    I know that the graphics division of AMD is a separate and standalone entity but for the past 4 years they are doing a crappy job, 1600 ghz required liquid cooling and has a 450W TDP to barely reach a a 1080 TI ? That is ludacris! At least the prices are decent.
    The CPU division has crushed the competition with Zen, while the GPU division can't get their head out of their asses, hypes and disappoints fans for months even years with a product that failed to deliver, just like the Fury

13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    I'm actually pointing out a user at videocardz who thinks that the cheapest GTX1080 he can buy is £600, which I've then provided a link for one that is £450.

14. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080
    I cant see anywhere AMD winning CPU market. But ya they made good CPU after a long time from FX series.But this doesnt mean they won over Intel(but i wish they win).Number are still behind in Gaming performance.

I think they cant concentrate on two hardware market on same time.They should sell GPU department and only concentrate on where they good at CPU.

15. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  17. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    I've been following a thread at the hardocp forum for the last days where this is discussed extensively that I found pretty interesting. Most people there think this is not feasibly due to latency and would probably take significant changes to the architecture that are still several generations away.

The discussion starts around here:
    https://hardforum.com/threads/vega-rumors.1933112/page-68

18. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Just saw this in the AMD Rumors thread:

"Speaking of Fiji, there’s been some question over whether the already shipping Vega FE cards had AMD’s Draw Steam Binning Rasterizer enabled, which is one of the Vega architecture’s new features. The short answer is that no, the DSBR is not enabled in Vega FE’s current drivers. Whereas we have been told to expect it with the RX Vega launch. AMD is being careful not to make too many promises here – the performance and power impact of the DSBR vary wildly with the software used – but it means that the RX Vega will have a bit more going on than the Vega FE at launch"

Source = Anandtech.

If true, then there is actually a LOT more going on than meets the eye and potential to get to Ti levels.

Also, last question / curiosity / wet dream for AMD fans - can we unlock the Vega 56 to a 64?! Just saying based on "history"...

19. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Depending on the software used... so we need the game dev teams to adapt to AMD's super futuristic architecture again? Like dx12? Like so many other things that haven't really made a difference since they were hailed as the saviors of PC gaming performance?
    I bet the makers of AotS are already wetting their panties over it, but besides that, I don't see it being adopted in time to outperform the 1080Ti until it's surpassed by Volta anyway. Everything's so... late...

20. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    True but if the DSBR is tuned and embedded via drivers based on game or application architectures, that is one way to gain speed from just software optimizations without cheating and without extra work from developers.

I would expect AMD to update and send dev kits to all top game engine developers to optimize this going forward.

I'm not holding my breadth over FineWine technology but AMD had been able to demonstrate this over time IF they really invested in it... I at least give them credit for this.