Radeon RX Vega for consumers might still be out a couple of months

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2017.

1. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    But all that would come anyway..

The information I'm looking for is what are the lost sales for potentially 6 months of complete abandonment of the "10%" market, vs sales if they released a GDDR variant of Vega in Q1 this year and then, more importantly, when did AMD realize Vega wasn't going to be launched until Q2 potentially Q3? People argue the GDDR would be way more attractive than nothing. Which is what it's up against. But my point is that the argument is moot.

We don't know what AMD's roadmap was for Vega and without it questioning whether or not it was a good idea to build a GDDR card is irrelevant because if two years ago they thought they could build the HBM card by Q1 2017 - why would they do a GDDR variant in the first place? And basically the only information we do have, indicates that AMD thought they could get the card out by then.

Last edited: May 23, 2017
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That thing again needs huge Memory Bandwidth even with new IMC (HBCC). Using GDDR would mean transistor wasted on regular Huge IMC and improving it to point it is as good as HBCC would cost, so it is quite likely any benefit from early delivery would be eaten by development cost. +as I stated, it would be weaker card due to TDP from GPU given to memories. And there is likely very good reason why Fiji has no GDDR variant and Polaris has no HBM variant.

They could, we saw working card demo. Question is what held it back:
    Was it build defect rate? Probably not as Polaris is just fine on 14nm. And from construction standpoint they use simplified process in comparison to Fiji.
    Was it Achievable clock? Likely as clock affects performance and AMD can't afford to sell card marketed as Top Dog while it is weak. (Polaris was never meant to be Top Dog.)
    Was it HBM2 supply? I do not believe this because Hynix/Samsung had almost 9 months from then to ramp up production and weed out defects.
    Was it driver? This is again quite likely. Getting compute performance from card is easier than making those new rendering features work reasonably well for release of gaming cards.
    Was it expected profit? Again quite likely. AMD's priority number one is Desktop Ryzen where they have abysmal presence (Desktop crowd makes free advertisement for mobile.). Priority number two are mobile APUs as AMD is no longer in mobile. (Read "both can get them big part of pie".) If AMD sees that RX-400 are selling well enough and expected Return of Investment of Vega under current circumstances is not good...

My best bet is driver.

Btw.: 7nm tape-out for Zen+ is planned for Q4.

3. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Sometimes all these rumors boils down to business 101.

Sell Vega FE for maximum money, and when the market is fulfilled, release the gamer GPUs. Makes complete sense since Raja said Vega FE can use game drivers to play games.

If Vega RX can also vice versa use FE drivers, then it can kill the compute business for AMD with buyers going to the gamer GPU.

I know RX has only 8GB of ram, but users can crossfire 2 RX for less than 1 FE so it might be a risk they are trying to minimize at the expense of gamers.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Get new CPU 1st :)

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    End of June, apparently ~ 22th or 28th.

6. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    https://www.extremetech.com/computing/249761-amd-clarifies-vega-launch-dates-server-rollouts-talks-zen-follow-ups