Radeon RX 7000 officially to be announced in November

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Same question to RTX - show me that all muscle full fat RTRT 4K 120FPS performance without FSR shenanigans!

That is all I care about because we have enough non RT performance.

2. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    Wow that is crazy $400 more? I'm not bragging but I can afford $1600 and even $2000 for the 4090 but I would definitely pass on the new series if I had to pay European prices. Nvidia apparently thinks people are still used to the crazy scalping prices.[​IMG] I think they are in for a rude awaking this time around.
    [​IMG] This is why EVGA left NVIDIA.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  3. RED.Misfit

RED.Misfit Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    So what we whould understand is they announce & release the same day ? Or we might have to wait a few weeks before it is on shelves ?

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I hope you are right, but I fear what Nvidia will slash is not prices but production numbers. It's not like multi-billion company like Nvidia would be oblivious. I imagine Nvidia is aware of being able to sell less with such outrageous prices, and will thus order less wafers. How 4070 was renamed 4080 12GB and obviously made more expensive supports this theory. Anyone who can't or isn't willing to afford these, is supposed to keep buying the 3000 series, to help Nvidia and partners get rid of the surplus stock. More imporantly, though, Nvidia seems more interested in the whole AI and server business than gaming cards right now. Seeing how they will now be selling the server stuff with their own CPUs, not Intel or AMD, such enthusiasm makes some sense.

This is indeed a golden opportunity for AMD, but whether AMD delivers depends on if they have chosen this moment to be the Zen moment in GPUs or not. After the Vega flop, I reckon AMD is now more self-aware, so they won't choose the moment haphazardly. They will really need to have a bombastic product to try and succeed, not a product full of the hot air of hype, but a product that leaves competitors in the dust.

5. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    I guess those are last years prices during the shortage? Because right now I can get a brand new 3090 for ~1100 USD over here in europe, including all taxes.

VAT (Value Added Tax) is in average around 20%, btw.

6. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Wouldn't an underwhelming launch mean that previous gen parts would keep their value more?

I agree that we are having way too high prices across the board. 1080p cards hardly exist anymore as far as I can tell. It's all running games at 1080p at 120+ FPS. Which I guess is fine if you're on a high refresh display... but if you're not, it's just wasted performance. But will of course make a card last for a very long time.
    Also, running at 120-140-200 FPS stuff is going to eat way more power than running at 60 - and these days that might actually matter....

7. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    You can just cap your framerate so you're not running at 100% utilization, your latency will go down dramatically.

vestibule and Valken like this.
  8. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    The cheapest 3090 Ti here in Denmark is around 1450 USD :|

9. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    I hope the announcement also means that the cards will be for sale the a week later at most.

10. DownwithEA

DownwithEA Active Member

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    I'll be nice to myself and just say that I'm just too frugal to spend that much money more frequently than 6 years at a time. :oops:

11. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I think quite a few of us are at the point (and age) in time where spending €2000 on something you might use for 8 hours in a week is just too ludicrous to make any sense. I spend more of my free time cycling than playing games these days.

Embra, Brasky, Kaarme and 1 other person like this.
  12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    "The GPU market will be hotter than usual in the coming months."
    Was that an intentional pun?
    Electricity prices rising and these manufacturers putting space heaters on hardware...

13. Ivrogne

Ivrogne Master Guru

GPU:
    a GPU
    Please be good with reasonable price.

14. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's the part that scares me. AMD will also be on the same node as Nvidia. So unless AMD has found some magic fairy dust, to get around the same performance as the 4000 series their cards are probably going to be just as large, run just as hot, but come in at a cheaper price which they will have to do as they don't have the same market share.

Embra likes this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lovelace doesn't run all that hot, so RDNA3 might not either.

vestibule likes this.

16. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That's fine, but seeing as I'm not in the know and the extreme oversized coolers. I'm not sure what to expect.

17. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    I am curious about the 7000 series, particularly if the chiplet rumour turns out to be true. Would be very interesting to see how performance scales using a different design, which might be a way to also improve costs to consumers considering how sky high everything is going.

18. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    The chiplet rumor is true, AMD has confirmed it. But it still is a monolithic Graphic Processor unit. They have basically split off the rest connecting the cache and other parts with infinity cache similar to Ryzen CPUs. But at this stage it's only confirmed with the 7900xt and maybe 7800xt. All the others are a monolithic design.

Embra, TheDigitalJedi and moo100times like this.
  19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    The chiplets mean that AMD can basically produce their top tier card with something like $70 cost in chips from TSMC. For an OEM it means you can produce a top end card with a max $350 cost.

They can also get 1500+ good compute chiplets out of a 12" waffer, which is insane.

20. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Where did you read that. I'd be very interested in a bit of a deep dive.