Radeon R9 380 surfaces in HP press-release

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 4, 2015.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    If you just read the previous news-post from HP, you might have noticed that HP includes a configuration option graphics wise as NVIDIA GTX 980 or AMD Radeon R9 380 discrete graphics....

Radeon R9 380 surfaces in HP press-release

2. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    Pretty neat this kinda confirms the 380 was meant to compete with the 980.

3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yep, that was my thought when I first saw this... If the 380x can compete with the 980 and is priced the same as the GTX 970 that would be great. Which would mean the 390X would outperform the GTX 980 and cost roughly the same as the GTX 980 or cheaper. AMD going back to the price/performance war. Problem is nVidia is in such a powerful state right now, they can just easily drop the prices of the GTX 970 and 980 down once AMD release their cards.

4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    980 is still a 500Eur card. If 380 can be (and probably will) cheaper it can do well. We can expect 390 to compete with 980ti.

5. Teawithgrief

Teawithgrief Guest

The internet gets WAY more excited when AMD makes new cards, not nvidia.

Cuz everyone is waiting for nvidia cards to drop in price right after.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    I hope they have something good tho for most it wont matter bacause for some reason 30watts more is the end of the world.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'd argue its because they take friggin forever to release something new. That and the fact they're a tease and keep delaying releases.

8. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    500€??? where? I only see 600€+ prices.

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Well, so far AMD have tease nothing about their gpu. let alone give a date of release. ( well it have make an apparition on the last CES, but thats nothing abnormal for this type of thing )

You need to separate the rumors, false or wrong informations covered and published by some websites and the communication from a company. ( in this case, AMD, but it could be any entreprise concerned ).

Everyday, you got a rumor / an new "leak" ( offtly wrong ), published in some sites, who seems dont even take the time to control the credibility of thoses story, just because, they want to see peoples link their sites, click on the link.. It start to be completely out of control.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    They've teased (vague) release dates and the HBM memory. That is enough.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Uh they showed a demo running on it at GDC and an official spokesperson commented saying it was an upcoming R9 GPU.

They are essentially like pre-paper-launching the card, probably in an attempt to slow Nvidia sales. I know several people who are waiting to see what the 390x is before buying from either company, so that strategy is definitely working somewhat.

12. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    GDC yes, sorry was thinking to CES first.. like i was write, there''s nothing abnormal in that. This said, we dont have much outside this ( Lisa Su on Analyst date, for a possible release soon )..

Compared to the 7 articles / week on WCCF.. ( not all weeks hopefully )

Last edited: May 4, 2015
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I agree that AMD isn't really doing most of it -- it's the random blog sites, but AMD is definitely somewhat benefiting from it. Although it's kind of also damaging their reputation, as people grow more and more impatient.

14. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:

I completely aggree with you on that.

15. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    At this point I wonder if they'll reveal specs before release. I'm also wondering if Acer and Asus have been delaying their Freesync monitors so they launch with the 300 series (and if they're riding the G-sync sales of the XB/Swift).

16. tr4l1975

tr4l1975 Guest

GPU:
    sapphire RX480 8GB OC
    well if you go by this: "The HP Pavilion, HP ENVY and HP ENVY Phoenix Towers are expected to be available in the United States on June 10, 2015 at www.hpshopping.com. With a starting price at $699.99 is the HP ENVY Tower and $899.99 is the HP ENVY Phoenix Tower. HP Pavilion Desktop Tower will also be available in select retailers on June 26, 2015 with a starting price at $449.99." and this "Powerful and stylish, the HP ENVY Tower is designed for content creators who need high-performance processors and strong graphics capabilities for editing videos and photos. For performance, customers have the choice of up to NVIDIA GTX 980 or AMD Radeon R9 380 discrete graphics with support for fourth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors or next generation AMD A-Series A8 through FX processors.

For ultimate power and performance, the HP ENVY Phoenix Tower is built for the customer who needs the best graphics frame rates and performance for gaming or hardcore tasks. HP ENVY Phoenix Tower has a dark aluminum chassis finished in brushed metal with a radiant red LED accent on the front. To support the power necessary for a solid gaming experience, especially on a 4K display, customers have the choice of up to NVIDIA GTX 980 or AMD Radeon discrete graphics with a choice of fourth generation Intel Core i5 and i7 processors." from here http://www.guru3d.com/news_story/hp_announces_2015_back_to_school_pcs.html

looks like a June release.

17. Daftshadow

Daftshadow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080
    all these "cheaper" or "bargain" prices are pure speculation but i'm hopeful they are true. we definitely still need another somewhat competitive player in the graphics card market. but if Nvidia does indeed release the 980Ti sooner at a competitive price-point, i think that would make AMD sweat a tad bit.

any rumor of 970 Ti-ish variations floating around?

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    How exactly does this confirm that R9 380 was intended to compete against GTX980? It's not uncommon for OEMs to select a high-end card from 1 manufacturer and a lower tier card from another. Dell used to do it rather frequently with their XPS systems. At one point, Dell gave the option of a 6600GT or X300 in an XPS.... As most are aware, those 2 cards got no where close to competing with each other.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It looks like AMD wants to launch all GPUs/APUs around same date or even at same day.
    We see more and more rumors from AIB/OEM partners. And less from internet fake news makers.

So, The Date is approaching.

20. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio