Radeon New Feature Not Discussed: Enhanced Filtering

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, May 23, 2022.

1. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this was introduced around 22.3.1, not sure. But I am not able to find anything on AMD's website about this. Therefore, I combed the interwebs to find out more about this feature. So far this is what I've found, these are their stories (dun-dun!!).

Anyone tried this yet?

JonasBeckman and MerolaC like this.
  2. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    At lest on the May preview driver, this feature is missing.
    I will check on my Win 10 install later which has 22.5.1

3. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Someone posted that this was only available on the 6000 series and higher. I am not sure how accurate that is.

MerolaC likes this.
  4. Espionage724

Espionage724 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6600 XT (8G)
    I haven't tried or recall seeing this option, but that tooltip is terrible.

AMD should be linking to multi-paragraph documentation pages about what this stuff does, as that will at least allow people to try to determine whether these options will be useful. Where do I even begin with trying to test what that option is supposed to do? What are these "certain scenarios"? What impact on gaming performance? Wouldn't this be going through VCN? Is it increasing bitrate? Does this affect things like Oculus Link or Virtual Desktop that do AVC? If so, does it increase latency or add or remove frames or buffering?

All of that could be trial-and-error'd and eventually figured out maybe with some community efforts and debugging tools, but why should that be needed?

This rant goes beyond that one setting with AMD; I've had to dig in way too many mailing lists lately just for a hint as to what some settings do. I'm curious about MES (Micro Engine Scheduler), which according to the module page, is a new scheduler. That's it. No indication as to what's required, no external documentations page as to what the scheduler is supposed to improve, what hardware it supports, or any additional firmware requirements (which there is and the module won't load without that firmware, so black screen on next boot if you're unaware of this). And from my own trial-and-error, that scheduler makes references to new required firmware that can't be found publicly except for one unrelated GPU, but I'm guessing the scheduler has to work on my GPU since it directly references a firmware file for it. Meanwhile, as new as GSP was, as soon as it was presented in the driver even before it was seemingly functional on consumer GPUs, NVIDIA has a whole page about it; the firmware file, how to test if it's enabled or not, hardware support list, and a halfway-descriptive note as to what GSP does. It's not hidden on some mailing list, it's right in the driver release notes.

NVIDIA releases notes on their features and rightfully assumes people reading into those features are advanced users. Meanwhile, AMD has the most vague tooltip like that with no follow-up as to what it does or if it even works.

MerolaC and Rambo like this.