Radeon HD4870 User Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ottoyu34, Jun 28, 2008.

1. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Bad idea TBieri

2. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    Yea Even in the Box it says you need AT LEAST a 500wt PSU for these things SO i wouldnt chance it.At least get a 850 if you want to X-fire these bad boys.I have a 1200wt. and alot of other stuff Running to so Im useing about 3/4 of that power with 1 card. gonna pick up another one here soon when thtr drivers for that get Buffed up a bit. no reason to yet Drivers arent ready yet.But This Card Friggin Rocks and if anyone is Goofy enough to Buy a Nvidia card after this release they deserve to get shafted By ther Green Team Refreshing the card every 2 months and then Loseing $ on it because they dont care about the Consumer they just want your $.! Screw them!.ATI till I Die!lol.

3. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    It's very unlikely anything would happen other than your system not booting, :eek:c: but I would wait it out if I were you. Just remove it from the antistatic bag or bubble plastic and enjoy the view until the new PSU arrives. Be strong. :)

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  4. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI

Congrads. I've been following your thread at the nvidia section. Give us some thoughts when it arrives.

5. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    The 4870 is actually hot if u touch it. My card idles at 80C .After some
    gaming of GRID . I check back on CCC. It show around 81-82c...

About noise. The card is not noisy. It could compare to 9800gtx's fan.
    But sometimes I spins up fast and loud for a few seconds during idle to
    get hot air out.. it happens rarely though.

6. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    hi people any clues to when guru3rd will have a CF review

also will myt psu run CF or the X2 as i read here people advice 850w + that cant be right

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  7. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    I'll write a little review like I've done it with my GTX but the HiS 4870 just went out of stock at Alternate. :cry:

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    2 questions...

1) Do these cards only need 2 6-pin PCI-E connector or do they have the silly 6 pin and 8 pin connectors?

2) Most importantly, I am from the UK so I was wondering if I buy one of these from over seas, say america for $309 I will be paying around £150 saving me £50 from the £299 Uk price. Is there anything I should be worried about, the card not working... different power requirments, connectors etc, etc... or will it just run the same???

PS/ any got any results after testing... Age Of Conan??

9. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    From experience two cards run fine on x16 x4 configurations. However, you don't get anywhere as much performance out of them as you would with x16 x16. I'm considering an X38.

1) 2x 6pin

2) Should be no problem. That's what the PSU is for, it converts from difference voltage / power standards into one unified 12v / 5v / 3.3v computer standard. All parts are universally compatible no matter where you get them from, except PSUs (some are, and come with 115v , 230v switches).

Last edited: Jul 2, 2008
  10. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    i agree. i ran two G80's with this 700w, and im pretty sure they use less then my 8800's?

11. xKHANx

xKHANx New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 4870
    First time poster, years long reader...

Anyway, just got my Sapphire 4850 in last week. After reading about everyone saying how hot they run, I slapped on a DuOrb cooler before even plugging it in for the first time. Card Idles at 31c and peak load with 4 instances of rthdribl running it never gets over 43c and is usually right at 41. Not too shabby.

Got my Sapphire 4870 in yesterday and didn't feel like waiting for my HR-03 GT to arrive so I pulled off the HR-03 R600 from an HD2900 XT 1gb I had that the 4850 replaced. I was a bit worried about the orientation of the GPU because on the 2900 it was diamond oriented and the 4870 is square oriented on the board.
    Not to worry though, with the shrinking of the die the gpu surface is small enough that the sink covers the entire GPU surface. Yay me...

The 4870 O/C'd with ATIs Overdrive to it's max values of 790/1100 turns in temps of relatively the same as the 4850. 34c Idle at 500/900 and Full load with 4 instances of rthdribl running 43c. Once again not too shabby.

Once my HR-03 GT gets here I will swap it out and see if there is any change in the temps, but I doubt there will be.

Bottom line, get an aftermarket cooler. DuOrb will pop right on either the 4850 or 4870, is quiet even on high and pretty cheap. You will appreciate how cool everything else in your system will be....

12. erocker

erocker Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970
    Hello everyone! I've been loving my HIS 4870 and Visiontek 4850 in CrossfireX! I managed to get my hands on a Gigabyte V-Powered graphics card cooler, and not only does it work great it looks freaking awesome on the 4850.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I've done some benching and whatnot with both cards and the 4870 here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=64150

:)

13. RamGuy

RamGuy Master Guru

GPU:
    nVIDIA GeForce GTX 580
    Is the theory of Crossfire HD4870 on a Intel P45 dead for sure now?

I'm sure everyone remember TechPowerUp claiming that you get less performance, noticeably less performance running 2x HD4870 on their Gigabyte P45 motherboard?

It didn't make much sense as the 8x / 8x PCI-Express2.0 of the P45 board got the same bandwidth as a 16x PCI-Express1.1 slot, and no card on the marked have yet to show any bandwidth issues with 16x PCI-Express1.1 so there is no logical explanation of why the HD4870 in Crossfire should be limited on the P45, and as it's proven to not be limited when running 1x HD4870 on a nForce680i with 16x PCI-Express1.1 there is simply no way that the bandwidth was the issue.

Some one claim it to be a bug with he Gigabyte board, which they supposedly have had before as well with some X38 / X48 with their early BIOSes.

So it's finally confirmed? That 2x HD4870 on a Intel P45 is not limiting the performance? It was just a bug with Gigabyte P45 boards? Which I suppose have been fixed now any ways?

How does 3x HD4870 perform and scale?
    Any one seen benchmarks of 3x HD4870 in Crossfire?

14. ottoyu34

ottoyu34 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 2-way SLI
    CrossfireX ona P45 should have no problem at all. Since it also Certified to do so. 8X/8X PCI-Express is on par preformance with X38/X48. The P45 emulates
    its brothers. I read it last week when i was choosing my parts for my system.
    I am confirmed P45 shoudnt have problem running at least 2 4870.

Not sure about the bug. But Asus one is fine.

15. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    well people my asus X48 has pcie 2.0 x16 slots and i have a psu capable of running my setup + CF or QUAD X2 so all im waiting for now is the 4870X2 or maybe 2x 4870 in CF

we will have to wait for benchies for the 4870X2 first before i buy

16. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    I'd say wait for new intel drivers. I wouldn't say it's dead just yet.

17. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    Very nicely done erocker. Love the look of the Gigabyte Cooler on it, and it looks like it does the job. Now go have some fun with them .....:)

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    yeah that is a sweet looking cooler erocker

19. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    so people how are you finding ur 4870 CF setups and are the drivers any good at moment, any problems

at the end of the month i will be buying the 4870CF or 4870X2 setup and im keen to know how current drivers feir in CF gaming

p.s. are people finding that the CF setup is faster than the gtx280 single setup ??

20. Laykun

Laykun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x EVGA GTX670 4GB
    For starters, how exactly are people supposed to compare their CF systems to a GTX 280 without having owned a 280? I don't think you'll find many users who have owned such a combination ( although I know of a potential one ).

Second of all, if you like putting up with problems, then CF is for you. Be it CF performance in most cases is pretty good, but in some cases it can be very bad, with driver bugs causing uncountable numbers of problems.

My experience with crossfire is that there's always a problem somewhere, but, despite that, I'm considering getting it this time round after the 4870 cards come down in price.