Radeon HD4770 got me totally confused

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by DaSmith, May 11, 2009.

1. DaSmith

DaSmith Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT 256MB DDR3
    Hi, fellow Gurus,

I am unhappy to tell you that I'm officially confused about something hardware related for the first time in my life.

Confused - meaning - I really have no idea what to think or do about this card right now... So...

Long story short - was with Windows XP, ditched it because it was a really old install and it was buggy as hell, installed Windows 7 RC 1 instead, and I really love it. I've been considering replacing my morally old 8600 GT (it is not very good with a 22" 1680x1050 monitor, at least not for gaming) for ages now. And as soon, as I read about the HD4770, I got pretty excited... "That's the card I want to get!" - I told myself. And of course I went today to the Ati web site to look if there are drivers for Windows 7...

According to the web site, not only do they not have drivers for Windows 7, they don't have for Vista, or XP... OK, now comes the first confusion about this card... How can it be on the market for more than a week now, and yet it is not supported by Ati's drivers for any version of Windows? And second confusion came right after the first - Guru writers got incredible results with it, and overclocked it, other sites get good results with it too - now how does this happen without drivers?

Then I read a post of a guy on some forum. In it he says he is running Windows 7 RC 1 build 7100 (the most recent so far), and not only can he not run games with this card, but he has actually got trouble with using his monitor to the fullest (meaning he cannot set the resolution to 1920x1200, even in Windows environment). I don't know, maybe I'm like this guy==> :stewpid: but better safe than sorry...

So here comes my question to you guys: Can I safely buy a 4770 and use it with Windows 7, or any other version for that matter, and do it today, or is trying to use this card for gaming (esp. in Windows 7) like trying to use a brick for fun? Anyone tried it yet with Windows 7 RC 1? And regardless of your Windows version, are you satisfied with the drivers / overall performance of the card? I hope it is fine, and I'm with stewpid or Ima cry now... :cry:

And third confusion - I talk mostly about drivers here, and now I'm not sure if I posted this in the proper section of the forum... Boy... I guess I really am :stewpid:

2. Johann

Johann Member

GPU:
    Voodoo3 ;p
    The drivers that come with the card work fine. Everyone is jumping the gun complaining about a lack of compatibility because they can't download drivers with the card supported without modifying the ini files.

Fact is, if you use the disk they generally work just fine. Ive tested one in 7, L4D, TF2, and Dark Athena and it ran just fine at 1920x1200 on my Benq and 1920x1080 on my LCD TV.

Obviously this may not be the case for everyone but a majority of people are running these just fine.

3. DaSmith

DaSmith Member

GPU:
    nVidia 8600 GT 256MB DDR3
    Thanks for the quick response, I read myself something about ini file modding, but it was for a few moments at work, and wasn't sure what it is... Can you elaborate a little bit about it please? As far as I understood it is required, so you can enable support for HD4770 with the newest drivers and then install them manually somehow. Or is it enabling it after installing the drivers? Kudos on the L4D, hope we meet there :D (especially when I get it running like crazy on my new HD4770)

4. Johann

Johann Member

GPU:
    Voodoo3 ;p
    You may not even have to modify anything. There are varied reports of them working just fine on the 9.4s. A few people suggest installing the CD drivers and the 9.4s on top of them and not having an issue.

Catalyst 9.5s are due this week I believe, and they have full support for the card. Hence, I don't think you have to worry about modding anything as by the time you have it there should be zero issues.

5. Scalarscience

Scalarscience Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX580 Classifie
    I went the other way (4770 on wife's PC) and installed 9.4 for the onboard (780G), then installed the 4770 & used the drivers on its cd (after removing ONLY the 9.4 driver, leaving ccp & hydravision intact). Will check 9.5's when I have time...

6. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    Same with the HD4890 drivers on the disc is your best bet.

7. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    I'm not sure what web site you looked at for AMD/ATi drivers?
    Because the official site (Link below) has got them for all versions of windows from xp-32 bit to Win7-64 bit. (Cat 9.4)

http://game.amd.com/us-en/drivers_catalyst.aspx