Radeon HD 7970 3DMark 11 results slightly lower than others

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by skoolz, Feb 17, 2012.

1. skoolz

skoolz Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3090
    Hi. First, I am a long time visitor of the site, but this is my first time finally registering for the forums. Glad to have finally done it! So I hate to cut right to the chase, but I have a few questions.

Regarding my new 7970, several people I know and several benchmarks I've found online have received a graphics score of 7700+ using 3DMark 11 using the reference clocks. I, on the other hand, cannot quite reach the 7400 mark. I keep getting around 7380 approximately. I am wondering why these individuals are getting 400 more points than I am with the same reference cards (different brands, but that should not matter).

I want to blame it on my CPU, but I am not sure if that affects the graphics score at all. I use an AMD 1090t 6-core overclocked at 4ghz. Everyone's score that is higher has a better chip than mine, mostly Intel brand. Could this really affect the individual graphics score, or does it only affect the total P score?

If the CPU has nothing to do with it, is it a possibility that my card is bad? Or just that I'm unlucky and my card is a 'runt'? I would think every reference card should perform the same at stock clocks unless something was wrong or my other hardware is just not as powerful.

Thoughts? Anybody else have a similar 3DMark score to my own? If not, what is yours?

2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    your cpu has alot to do with it. even at 4ghz, its still a bottleneck.

3. skoolz

skoolz Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3090
    Thank you for the quick response! That's actually comforting, as I realize my CPU is almost 2 years old now, but do you know if the CPU can affect the graphics score directly? Logic would tell me that the CPU is used even within the graphics only tests of 3DMark, thus affecting the score; however, some of these guys' CPUs are FAR superior to mine, and yet only receive the same 400 point bump as others with CPUs only slightly better than my own. Their CPUs all vary in power, but the difference in my score and theirs remains approximately the same.

I would still love to hear others' experiences or thoughts.

4. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    oh yes it does bottleneck quite a bit. i think with 2500k or 2600k @ around 5ghz i'd get some 8500 graphics score with current clock or more.

5. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I will point the CPU too ( i will not call it a bottleneck, just it is not as fast of an I7 OC) ...

Yes it can have an impact on graphic score, the gpu need data who are calculate first by the cpu > transit in memory > and then arrive to the gpu..

( some benchmark ( 3Dmark05 ) are ofc more CPu dependant of 3Dmark11 )

well 300 pnts is not a big difference.. i dont think you have to worry about.

some little advice..

- AA, in controlled by appliccations.
    - AF, in controlled by appliccations.
    - v-sync off .

When peoples bench ( not just for test, but try do scores ) they will ofc set mipmap to low and set quality AI to lower possible ..

The only thing, tesselation will never be lowered, as its part of the bench, and if you do it it will be quickly visible ( futuremark indicate tesselation level have been decreased, and score is not valid ).

Ofc, sometimes when you install a new gpu, older registry entry can lower the perf if you dont use a clean windows install. ( in general you will see it quickly as games will get lower fps of what you should have by a good margin ).

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  6. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    If at 4.0 gigs the CPU is not going to bottleneck it that much.

But that score is kind of on the low side for a 7970.
    It could be the card.

I'm not that far behind you with Just 5770's CF.
    [​IMG]
    7970 or Kepler definately soon.

Later:)

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    its still there though.

unless you need hyperthreading and that extra 2mb cache, the I5 2500k will be the best choice.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    i get P5993 :DD this Q6600 so awesome

9. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Bottleneck is not the good word, let say he will not get the same performance or score of someone with a 2600K @ 5ghz ....

I will surely win something like 200pnts on graphics score only by going from 4-4.5 to 5ghz..

10. skoolz

skoolz Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3090
    ====================================================

Your response and picture are basically showing me that you may be confusing graphics score with p score. Correct me if I'm wrong.

EDIT: For reference, my P score was around 7600.

11. Irocing

Irocing Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7970 OC Edition
    Believe he was asking if it affected the P score also.

Later

12. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    i got 150 in graphics from 300mhz boost to my Q6600

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    shall i hand you some paper towels so you can clean yourself off?

14. bobkn

bobkn Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7970 3GB
    Have you looked here?

http://3dmark.com/search

You'll have to scroll through lots of 1090t/7970 listings to get to ones that don't OC the CPU and GPU.

But, yeah the CPU performance does affect the graphics score.

15. skoolz

skoolz Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW3 3090
    Wow, thanks for all the awesome responses! And thank you for clarifying what I was curious about. I feel better now.