Radeon HD 6850 & 6870 review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Oct 21, 2010.

1. BigAlBeast25

BigAlBeast25 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX 970 SLI OC
    Christmas keeps getting better :D

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Definitely good for the price.

3. randomizer

randomizer Guest

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    Nope i dont agree!:)

4. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    NCIX has several brands of 6870 on sale atm, some in stock, some coming in. Cheapest is the Visiontek at $254CDN.

I have had good luck with Powercolour, and I like the cooler a lot on their card. Time to update from the 5770 me thinks :O

5. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Look like even the 6850 OC well .. 1.25V stock cooler 100% fan speed

[​IMG]

6. Indeo

Indeo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970@950\1200 + GT240
    Soo... Cheaper than 5870 and almost as fast in games. Looks like AMD did it, can't wait for high-end to arrive. That's where all the spicy things are!

7. jamsbong

jamsbong Member

GPU:
    EVGA GF560Ti 1Gb
    great to see some new stuff from ATI. We may finally have a price war, great for the consumers.

The naming thing kinda suck but the price looks right. I'll wait a bit more and hope for a better price.

Is great to see new AA that has zero performance hit! (see tomshardware).
    In terms of tessellation performance, it still trails Nvidia eventhough it is improved over the 58xx series (see anandtech).

Overall, great to see something fresh.

8. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Don't look like these will be great overclockers althought we have not seen any votlage increases yet. Was hoping for 1ghz core without increases.

9. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Huum go a page further, i have post a screenshot of test by Lab501 ... (6850@1060mhz - 1.25V -stock cooler)

It seems ATI have keep the voltage low, and just bump it a little give allready nice result ..
    On another forum, someone have allready posted a 1040mhz without increase the voltage on the 6870 ... Offcourse, we will need to wait user reviews and test on a good part of card for know if it's only a minority of card who oc well or not... personnally i can't say it before see more testing about the OC ... it's too early for this.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    how come the 6870 is faster than the gtx 470 only in the guru3D review. in all the other reviews it gets beaten by the gtx 470? fishy!

11. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Nothing fishy about it ... we used reference cards in this test, some other sites tend to grab factory overclocked products and note it down as GTX 470. Other use different games and that can have an effect as well. Some sites do not equalize driver IQ settings, other test methods (FRAPS) and even other levels in a game can make a difference (we always seek the hard on the GPU segments of a game) and so on ...

Anyway, don't let our test get in the way of your opinion. But using the words fishy .. well that's just lame.

12. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't think its fishy, just think the Guru3D review is using older drivers, some of the newer ones have bumped up performance with the fermi cards.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    only saying that because I've read another 4 reviews this morning and in every one of them the gtx 470 comes out on top. Only marginally, but still. Fair play if they use different cards/settings...

It's fishy, but not necessarily from guru3D's side, if others push nvidia cards more to make them look faster than the new AMD cards, then that's fishy too.

14. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    it's still impressive for a mid-end product..can't wait to see the high-end..anyway i'm still waiting, no upgrade for me this time..hd7000 here i come.

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I seriously can't decide whether to grab a 6870 or gtx 470. there was a 6870 on ebuyer last night for £176 but they've pulled it now... hm...

16. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    There were the same complaints that when the GTX400 cards first appeared, lots of people joined to claim a bias etc...

People should know that no two PC's are the same, and there will tend to be a variance, but as long as the review lists the hardware, and drivers used then you can see that for yourself.

eclap, don't think it was ever in stock on ebuyer, think that was just listed to generate site traffic.
    It depends on if heat is an issue for you, the GTX470 i think will be faster all round, with more room to overclock, but it will be hotter too, and louder no doubt.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  17. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's not the case, only for some older cards that applies. The titles we use mostly already were heavily optimized but also titles like Anno1404 etc get way less attention and thus optimizations from ATI and NVIDIA as these games are not a priority, hence we use them.

I've always tried to find a decent balance to something old, something new and someing less popular games wise.

But even then ... in 6 months the R6870 will run faster due to optimizations as well, where the GTX 470 pretty much is running maxed out in optimizations already.

It's the big conundrum of everything + there will always be anomolies.

18. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    cheers for clearing that up Hilbert... I'm leaning more towards the 6870 now. I think I'll wait for the price war to proper start.

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    damn u ati, now i have to buy 2 hd6970

20. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Still there and it has been updated to "21 in stock for next day delivery"

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/244430