Radeon HD 5970 Single card and Crossfire review [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    I guess it was Badaboom?

2. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    That's a CUDA app. ATI uses AVIVO but the way he was wording it made it sound like there's also another program he's using himself.

3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    OCUK prices for cheapest cards as of 18/11/09

5850 £240
    2x5850 £480
    5870 £340
    2x5870 £680
    5970 £520
    285GTX £219
    2x285 £438
    295GTX £290
    2x295 £580

I'd say for the money the 295GTX is still pretty strong. 2x295 is pretty tempting compared to a single 5970. I'm suprised by the price of the new Ati, but, due to shortages it's to be expected, but, it's quite a bit cheaper (£160) than 2x5870.

4. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Huh. Newegg only sells GTX 295s for 520 US. If the 5970 comes in at 600 as expected...That's not that big of a difference.

But comparing to your website...quite a large difference.

EDIT:

I saw at the end of your article the profile thing. It's really a simple matter of downloading ATI Crossfire Extension and using that, works well.

DOUBLE EDIT:

On the title, on the first page you said "The Hemlock His Here" like, on the little graphic thing...Was that a play on HIS or mistake somehow?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009

5. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    one slight flaw in your reasoning here. the price you listed for the 295 is for an ocuk "value" 295. whilst probably not a bad card i think most people would pay extra for a known brand..could be wrong..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=56&subid=1324

as you can see most are around £380.

6. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    The "value" ones usually end up being Palit or Zotac or other brands such as that.

7. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    It's the cheapest prices available for their respective model. If standard prices were used then ofcourse, it would look a bit different especially regarding Nvidia side of things.

If we use standard prices to compare latest Ati CF vs Nv Sli it would look like this;

2x5970 £1120 (4x5870)
    2x295 £830 (4x275)
    Difference of £290 which is enough to get a third no-brand 295GTX. For the cost of 2 top-quality 5970 you could literally get 4xno-brand 295GTX (£1160).

That's taking the best non-water-cooled cards.

8. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    very nice good work.

9. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Bring on the headaches LOL,Just bought a 5970 delivered for 749 Canadian at NCIX.com,get them while there in stock.

10. Jae-So

Jae-So Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti FE
    ^ nice one hope u enjoy it, hmm I think I'll wait and see how this turns out price wise after fermi comes out, might even wait for news of 68xx, not really a good time for me to upgrade considering these prices

11. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  12. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
  13. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
  14. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    still its impressive and good job from ATI.
    However, everyone remembers when the 4870X2 went out and everyone was happy for 1 month until the GTX 295 crushed it down like a bulldozer :D - jk lol. THe point is, dont rush and buy now - be patient and lets wait for Fermi to show us some Mojo and Power and bring down those prices further!

15. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    We're in for a treat in NL...can anyone say 600 euros...that's 900 bucks people. And it doesn't matter, because the cards are nowhere to be had lol.

16. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Great indepth review, I know some people here are a little disappointed with the raw power of the card but personally seeing 100+ FPS in most games is awesome, The fact that we are really hitting CPU limitations rather then the GPU can explain some of these figures, I think the release of DX11 games will show what this card and Nvidia's offering will really do as a fair benchmark of performance.

Personally I am waiting for Nvidia's offering before upgrading my rig (alongside i9) but I have the feeling that even this will not blow us away with a massive performance increase. Nvidia appear to be developing their new architecture to be used for different applications which may or may not give massive gains to gaming performance, time will tell but I will not assume it will be 2x the speed of a GTX295 and even if it is (which would be cool) then our CPU's will just bottleneck the card and never let us utilize the full potential.

17. DementeD

DementeD Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD "6970" 1000/1500
    i know u were kidding but..the 4870x2 reigned supreme for 5months..and to some people thats too long to wait for something that barely beat the x2(of course it beat it but a 5 month wait..$100+ more expensive for something that wasnt THAT much faster...usually within 10fps)

the way things look for nvidia right now..if all holds true.the 5970 should be king for atleast 2-5 months before fermi is even introduced...and when it is you'll more and likely have to wait for the dual gpu version of the card (if thats at all possible since tdp is supposedly 225w x2) to beat the 5970..and of course price will play a role in that..

imo never wait if you're ready to upgrade...theres always something new right around the corner.

18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    eh? i'm not seeing the impressiveness?

I'm not trying to bash ati, or be an nvidia fanboy or anything, but i'm not impressed even the slightest bit by the 5000 series of graphics cards, every review dissapoints me, because i see no huge improvement over nvidia's GT200 series graphics cards, sure i see a big improvement from the 4000 series, but that doesn't matter, the fact that the 5000 series competes with the GT200 series and probably won't really compete against the GT300 series (i can't say it won't as it's not released yet but still) is not impressive, not IMO anyways, current gen should not have to compete with last gen, and that's what the 5000 series is doing with the GT200 series

But please don't get me wrong, i'm happy for ATI being on the top currently, i'm happy they are at least trying, all i'm saying is i wanted more, i didn't expect more due to ATI's last 3-4 series of cards, but i wanted more

19. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    yeah I read other sites talking about the ATX spec and a 300W limit but that's not right...it's the PCIe 2.0 specification deciding on by the idiot consortium that calls themselves PCI-SIG that decided upon a 300W GPU limit. 75W thru the slot, 75W thru a 6-pin and 150W thru an 8-pin.

The connectors can actually handle quite a bit more power than that and the manufacturers rate them higher and PCI-SIG doesn't have any kind of legal authority so I dunno why AMD didn't just ignore the PCIe spec since everybody ignores the ATX spec in a lot of areas too...don't know why they didn't put two 8-pins on it either, other cards have. Then it would be in compliance with PCI-SIGs individual connector specs.

Funny they don't want to sell a card that exceeds the specs but for OCing they recommend you buy a power supply capable of it. :D

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wow...you read my mind, then posted it....that's scary...

Everyone will find something to complain about... They complain about some companies breaking spec, some following spec, and so forth and so on... I do agree that they should have ignored the 300w spec though....