Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cartman372, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850
    Yes each time you boot it will be set to the last profile you had active (I have several). So boot up and Fan is automatically at 40%.

2. Arbie

Arbie Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    MANUAL can COOK YOUR CARD !

=================
    Be VERY CAREFUL if you switch from "Automatic" to "Manual". Your fan will no longer spin up when it needs to and you may very well cook your card.

The 4850 fan controls both on GPU load and on sensed temperature. The load feedback leads the temperature, of course, but not by much. This indicates good thermal coupling to the die.

Anyway ==> going to Manual disables both of these control signals, and leaves you open to some pretty quick damage.

Personally, after wishing very much for a fix like this, I found that I don't really need it. Increasing the fan by even 5 rpm is audible in my case, and doesn't help idle temp by much. Each notch faster is much more noticeable. I guess I'm OK with the stock setting, hot spot and all. I may go with an aftermarket cooler later.

I have to say - I love this card! Crysis at 1920x1200 with all DX9 settings High! Can't believe it on a $200 board.

3. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    The fix is for many cards that will not ramp up, And there are many.
    If your going to run manual settings and put a load on your machine, a fan speed of 50-60 would be wise.

4. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    Without the "bretware fix" my Sapphires see 99 deg C loaded... that's far too hot for my liking and no good for the rest of my system too. With a "game" profile set to 65% for each card I never see anything higher than 75 deg C, even in FurMark.

I can't understand why they've sent them out like this in the first place?

5. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
    The problem is that the fan does not speed up much (at least less than 50% according to the sound from the fan) when stressed or loaded.

I see this as a temp fix before rivatuner support HD4850 and enable us to set the fan speed by temp/GPU load in steps.

6. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    True, I just hear a brief scream from the little horrors every so often, but it doesn't bring the temps down at all.

I see it as a "temp fix" until my Zalman coolers arrive myself!

7. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 4GB GDDR5
    i want to get a water cooler for mine but too bad water cooling is not popular over here and those available are expensive. Getting a better fan cooler is possible but those are already sold out.

8. judowaza

judowaza Member

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870 512mb
    Brettware. Thank you.

I'm becoming more pc savy daily thanx to my net brethren.
    It's awesome finding fixes/hacks like this.

Dropped my idle by 17 degrees C, at 65%.
    It is audible over my Antec 900 fans. But, I'll only turn this on when needed. Which is only Crysis! I don't know of a game that would tax this card like Crysis does.

After pondering this thread, I wonder. Is the 4850 an undercooled 4870 core? With the only thing different between the two cards 1) Cooling, and 2) Better memory GDDR5.

Let me know if my logic is flawed. With ppl figuring out the hardware/software so quick, I may be better served holding onto this 4850 than spending another $100 for the 4870.

EDIT: 18 Degrees C. My core idle went from 56 C to 38-39 C.
    Got my core to 690, mem to 1050 stable. Temp at load is 72 C. Much better than previously at 91 C.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  9. judowaza

judowaza Member

GPU:
    VisionTek HD 4870 512mb
    I'm a newb. My earlier post about temp at load was false. I used FurRenderingBenchmark at 1360x768 and got 72 C at load initially. But, that was only after a 1 minute test.

I found that running at 75% value, I maintained my temp between 77-78 degrees C, after a 10 minute stability test at 1360x768.

My core is at 690, mem 1050.

That's probably 100% load. I don't know how much load Crysis puts on, I assume it's 100%. So, I'll need to be careful.

Can someone tell me how to monitor temps while in a game?

10. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850
    Ideally you could use GPU-z and have it on the sensors tab and from time to time while in the game "alt-tab" to enter windows and look at the GPU-z graph, that should give you a reasonable idea.

11. Estima8tor

Estima8tor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 FTW
    I just ordered an Asus 4850 from newegg and according to the reviews the Asus smart doctor program can control the fan speed, If not I will be using this fix also.

I'm tired of having to buy expensive aftermarket coolers for my brand new GPU's that should already come with adequate cooling and the software to control it! :mad:

Last edited: Jul 4, 2008
  12. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 2070 Super
    Thanks for this, it was very helpful (once I actually found my way to appdata as it didn't show under c:\users\*user*

My idle temps on my two HD4850's have gone from 69 degrees to 50-54 degrees @ 45%.

:)

13. ezimotsuc

ezimotsuc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
    Hi all,
    Fix works well on Sapphire 4870. Idle temps dropped from 78°c to 47°c!!!
    with only a fan speed want valua of 35%. Now my fan speed increased from 1000rpm to 2335rpm. Hope this won't harm my videocard.
    Just had it in yesterday.
    thanks for the great tip!

14. ezimotsuc

ezimotsuc Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 6950
    i have been playing cod4 for two hours and max temp is 61% under full load.
    (i think it is full load)aa 2x af 8x texture settings extra. The game is really looking good now.
    i need some utilitie to check everything while playing games. (temp, load, fanspeed etc)

15. hfelsh

hfelsh New Member

GPU:
    VisionTek ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB
    I picked up a VisionTek 4850 from BestBuy when they had the 25% off all VisionTek video cards, so it cost me $149.99 + $10.50 tax (7% FL) = $160.49 out the door. Card was running WAY hot prior to this "hack" (not really sure if changing an XML file is a "hack", or even a "mod", IMHO), I mean it was running @ ~81 °C (177.8 °F) idle and upwards of 94° C (201.2 °F) under full load, now with the fan set to manual and 65% (which is not loud at all; maybe I got a really good stock fan, or maybe it's because I'm partially deaf, and I just can't hear it...), I get idle temps of 56 - 58 °C (132.8 -136.4 °F), and under load it does not go above ~68 °C (154.4 °F). That's a serious drop in temps! I also used Arctic Silver 3 (still have a tube of that laying around), but it didn't really do much for the temps IMHO.

I was going to do some BIOS flashing until someone pointed me to this thread a week or two ago. BTW, I get a max GPU Clock of 690MHz and Memory Clock of 1138MHz (using Auto-Tune), but get some artifacts in game when the Memory Clock is that high (not many, though.)

[​IMG]

I've found that Memory Clock 1070MHz seems to have no artifacts, might be able to push it a little higher w/o artifacts but haven't bothered to really test it out. Also saw the thread for the 4850 volt mod, but really don't want to solder the card (never been really good at doing that type of soldering, and don't really need to push the card that much anyway.)

Eagerly awaiting RivaTuner 2.10 or whatever it's gonna be called to support the 48xx series cards. :smoke:

(FYI, I really prefer temps to be displayed in °F, instead of °C, and have submitted a request to ATI to allow that option. Plus, why doesn't ATI CCC allow for this this "fan mod"?!?!?!?)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008

16. BlackEagle

BlackEagle New Member

GPU:
    2x Sapphire ATI 4850
    Thanks a lot for this, turning it up to 65% dropped both my temp from 83-85c to 54/55c thats an amazing 30c lower. Maybe this will also solve my black screen problem, but we will see that soon enough :).

17. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Reworked instructions for XP by HonestJohn

Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct.

For Vista

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Users\Your Windows ID\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

For XP

Then go to the following location and open the following file for editing "C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\Your CCC Profile.XML. The xml file will have the same name as the Catalyst Profile you saved. right click and hit edit.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
    <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="0" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

Remember your fan will be locked to the % you set, if its set to low you could damage your card, becareful overclocking and setting fan speeds.

For crossfire be sure to set the lines in the .xml file for all cards.

Bretware

18. hfelsh

hfelsh New Member

GPU:
    Instead of saying ""C:\Documents and Settings\Your Windows ID\" for XP or "C:\Users\Your Windows ID" for Vista, use the %USERPROFILE% variable, which every Windows system will have. It is the same for both Vista and XP, and points to the appropriate location.

I've changed your wording a bit to make it easier for n00bs to do/understand. Not taking credit for this, as that belongs to you.

==========================================================

Make a profile in catalyst after turning on Overdrive and make sure clock and memory settings are correct. Then edit the <your_CCC_profile>.XML, where <your_CCC_profile> = the name you saved the CCC profile under. The file will be located in the following folder; to get to it, click START, then RUN, then copy the following path and paste it to the RUN dialog box, then hit ENTER:

Vista: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\ATI\ACE\
    XP: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE\

Right-mouse click on the <your_CCC_profile>.XML file and click edit. If prompted for what program to open the file with, choose Notepad.

Now go down the page until you see the following lines in the XML file ...

<Feature name="FanSpeedAlgorithm_0">
    <Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value="Automatic" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedRPMTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="0" />
    </Feature>
    <Feature name="FanSpeedPercentTarget_0">
    <Property name="Want" value="23" />

Change the "Property name="FanSpeedAlgorithm" value=" from "Automatic" to "Manual"

Then change "Property name="Want" value=" from "23" to your desired fan speed.

Save the file then reload the Profile you just edited in the CCC.

Remember that your fan will be locked to the % you set; if it's set too low you could damage your card. Be careful overclocking and setting fan speeds.

For Crossfire, be sure to set the lines in the .xml file for all cards.

19. Pete1989

Pete1989 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4870
  20. hfelsh

hfelsh New Member

GPU:
    It's not that the stock fan isn't "adequate", it's that ATI has set it to run at max 30% no matter what. So upping that to 50% - 65% produces a much cooler card, at absolutely no cost.

Also, most aftermarket coolers require two slots; some of us (like me) don't have a spare slot, so a single-slot solution is required. Ergo, simply editing an XML file, spending NO (as in ZERO) $$$, and getting a 50 °C (over 122 °F) drop in temps is the preferred route.