Radeon HD 4850 Heat issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Cartman372, Jun 28, 2008.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    Ok, i've dumped that idea because i'm going to modify my VF900 with 92mm Akasa fan.

However i did try placing a 80mm fan to intake air through PCI slots in the back. Guess what, the card temperature remained at steady 88°C during RHDRIBL looping. And all i did was to place low RPM 80mm fan to intake the air so its air stream was almost directly feed into the graphic card fan.

2. raskol

raskol New Member

GPU:
    VT 4850 512
    The 4850s do not have a heat "problem". They have low fan speeds. I appreciate this because I HATE loud computers.

ATI seems to have chosen to run the stock fans at low speeds. Apparently to limit overclocking and competing with the 4870s. Since the 4870s have 2slot coolers this will solve the only "problem" I see, by exhausting the heat out of your case.

Of course you'll have to spend MUCH more money for the same GPU. So for the price of 1 4870 you could XFire 2 4850's. I think I'll save the $150 and leave my case open!:)

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850
    I had the exact same problem but then used Windows "Search", tick also Hidden and system folders and found it that way, I had at least four of the ACE folders and just opened each till I found the profile.

Your a Champion Brettware I adjusted mine to 35% with no noticeable audible difference and went from 68C to 55C idle, going to refresh the Thermal Paste with Artic Silver 5 and see if this helps as well.

4. raskol

raskol New Member

GPU:
    VT 4850 512
    NO! :) You're supposed to tell me how to exhaust the heat!

Seriously tho, can anybody post the default profiles.xml file? I STUPIDLY modified mine without making a backup and now it is loading that as default and I can't make the edits stick. It keeps creating a new profiles.xml file with my mods as default.

5. raskol

raskol New Member

GPU:
    VT 4850 512
    Windows XP
    C:\Documents and Settings\YOURACCOUNT\Local Settings\Application Data\ATI\ACE

6. randomizer

randomizer Master Guru

GPU:
    5600 xt Gaming OC
    I cant wait for my 4850 to come in!

I have never used ATI before!!! always try new things! fun!!

7. drew24

drew24 New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 4850 512mb
    Thanks

Thanks it worked!

8. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I'll be installing Zalman VF-950 on HD4850 after all! Can't wait.
    I've also ordered 16 copper BGA heatsinks to cool down the memory. I really want to have 700/2400 clocks on my HD4850 mwahahaha

9. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850
    It has been said elsewhere and it dawned on me as well you can make 4-5 different profiles, e.g. Fan 35%, Fan 40%, Fan 50%, Fan 60%. While you are in the Profile Manager click on the Activation tab and tick "Desktop Short Cut" then save Fan 35%. Now you will have a desktop icon for each profile you have made so you can change the fan speed at will depending on activity (low for web surfing, higher for gaming). I have made 4 and have saved them into a desktop folder called Fan Speeds.

To give this a good test I used "FurRenderingBenchmark" to really crank the GPU and found I could change speeds mid-test:

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/715/Open_GL_FurRenderingBenchmark.html

By removing my heatsink and refreshing with Arctic Silver 5 I also saved another 2-3C in idle.

So I have a profile of 40% (can hardly hear it) and went from 69C to 55C, refreshed the TIM and went from 55C to 51-52C. Well TIM is still bedding in so 50C at the moment but it is a cool night.

10. Fahim

Fahim Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RADEON HD 5850 1GB Bl
    I am going to put some arctic cooling on mine once it arrives tomorrow, then some bios modding...

11. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
    Nice, just 50% on the fan dropped my GPU temp by ~20*C! This is a great solution until there is a new RivaTuner! GPU-Z says my fan is going at 4453 RPM, LOL!

12. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
  13. Vector

Vector Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 770 FTW 4gb w/bkplate

Maybe this will help you --> http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33926633

14. king-dubs

king-dubs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TITAN X (Pascal) + X34
  15. sinister_steve

sinister_steve Active Member

GPU:
    2X ASUS 4850
    so does this fix keep the fan settings when you restart computer? or is there a better fix out yet?:puke2::biggun:

16. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    My Sapphire 4850 just arrived this evening.

I want to thank Bretware for his "hack".

I have mine set to 35% which is barely audible. If I need to increase it, I will, obviously, but for now it seems to be doing the trick.

17. mp1434

mp1434 Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX 460 Sonic Plat
    Does anyone know how to get the profile to apply to both GPU's? I have a crossfire setup.

18. fasteddy

fasteddy Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x Asus HD6950oc
    There are two sets of those entries! Fill them both in with your desired percentage...

19. GXice

GXice Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 GTX 1GB
    Excellent hack. Worked for me great, thanks very much :D

20. bretware

bretware Master Guru

GPU:
    Two ATI 6850's
    Repsonding to an earlier post, here's is what I do for heat removal from the case,

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk59/bretware7/IMG_5532.jpg

There is also a fan mounted to the side cover with a duct pulling from above the the video exhaust ports.

This helps insure the cool entry air into all heat sinks.

This is an old pitcure, I'm now running a MSI K9A2, and a Rosewill Z-3 fan wich required a new duct system

Bretware

Last edited: Jul 3, 2008