Radeon Graphics cards Black Screen bug is haunting AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2020.

1. nevernamed

nevernamed Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 TI FTW3
    So is this why my 290x sometimes black screens with audio freezes, and other times works fine for weeks?? This started being a problem for me in august or sept and I've never figured it out..

2. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    By all means please do so....

3. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Kind of "half" of a solution, but you could scoop up an Add2PSU adapter and run another PSU in tandem with the one you have. It'll be outside the case of course, but it would work for more power for sure.

4. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Just because YOU do NOT have issues, does not mean OTHERS do NOT have issues, too.
    Now I'm going to write this up special for you, since you didn't understand it the first time.
    Don't speak for others. I am trying to solve the problem, with the expertise of being in the tech hardware hobby/industry for over 25 years now.

My Polaris card worked fine until summer 2019, when I switched to Windows 10. No amount of driver changes, DDU & re-installs, OS re-installs, and so-forth would fix this issue. Windows 7 did not show this issue. Did not formally test in linux (though for the record my card never showed issue there).
    Some others acted up between summer and fall 2019, though the sample base there was limited to Windows 10.
    Several different systems. Several different people. MANY. DIFFERENT. DRIVERS. ARGH. Pile of new MX500 SSD's (and other brands) used for testing here, plus different boards / power supplies (mostly Seasonic and one EVGA power supply, plus one off-brand just in-case)
    Otherwise, explain, while the system is at defaults, with no overclocking done to it, or such software touched; that issues occur (which was then facilitating monitoring software being installed to find the problem, problem is found and traced to core clock going higher than advertised on the box, this *surprise* created an issue). Problem is likely more (but not 100% required being in) with HIGH PERFORMANCE (Ryzen) power plan on.

Other info:
    Cards weren't going significantly over 110~140 watt range ever when tested in various games pushing it 100% (being sure to remove CPU or other non-video bottleneck situations to thoroughly test the GPU).
    Removing the Polaris cards seemed to solve the issue with stability in games. Most users didn't have too much stability issue on the desktop except so seldomly it was hard/impossible to test for.

So while this issue could carry over to Navi, which wouldn't surprise me; our tests were limited to Polaris and pre-Polaris GCN cards like Radeon HD 78xx, 79xx, Terascale OEM 8490's (I get those via surplus), and GCN R9 270/280/290/380/390 cards.
    Only Polaris cards had this specific issue, again, we could not test navi as no one wanted to pony up 290~350$ for something that crashed.
    I will happily pay 600$ for a good GPU on my production machine, if I know it's not going to crash and have issues.
    For a kid gaming, I'm sure it would be okay to use the AMD GPU's. For me, my Polaris RX 480 8gb is a useless paper-weight that I'm going to chuck after I run some more tests on it. I don't have time to spend working 5~8 hours a week for free, because the thing wanted to crash so much & I lose my work due to it.
    ZERO issues with a 2070 Super, only having DDU'ed the AMD driver, restarted, run DDU again, and installed the Nvidia driver 44x.xx.
    Sometimes a good deal on PC hardware is worth it, but sometimes not.
    Verdict:
    AMD Processors and motherboard: YES, totally worth it. Love mine, even with the 'el cheapo Asrock Phantom Laming board.
    AMD Video cards in consumer line-up: Avoid like hot garbage/dumpster fire, for anything other than web-surfing/email/netflix/youtube.

When no one wants (or very few people want) to buy AMD GPU's and they fire the idiots responsible for driver development, after losing quite a sum due to lost sales, maybe AMD will get it's hide in proper gear in the GPU department. For me, life goes on, much better now sans AMD GPU.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I'll say this again..... Not a single driver, released by AMD, has "automatically overclocked" a single graphics card all on it's own..... I ran an HD7870, an HD7950, an R5 240, RX470 and now an RX5700. Not a single one of those cards, at any point, was "automatically overclocked". It simply doesn't happen.

I do find it quite amazing that out of your entire post, only 1 line was even applicable to what you quoted.....which leads me to believe you either have anger issues, or issues with comprehension....or possibly both.

6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Just browsing can cause crashes, so a poor recommendation.

Hoping AMD gets over this hill very quickly. Like others said - industry needs a competitor.

7. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT

Are you quite certain about the 5700 cards not being auto-overclocked at any point?

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Radeon drivers perform timing tweaks to the card from set to set which introduces instability on occasion.

so do nvidia's.

9. CyBeR_Junky

CyBeR_Junky New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 5700
    Thank you Hilbert , hope it get FiXt soon

10. timmuk17

timmuk17 New Member

GPU:
    AMD GB 5700XT
    I have GB 5700XT and I have had some hard time aswell (black screens, low clocks, screen flickering etc). I do not want to give money to NV and support little one (AMD) for better competition/prices. But for this amount money (around 500 euros) I would expect better product than it is out of box. I have had many AMD graphics cards before and they worked fine without any issues but I am now thinking of changing team.

AMD Ryzen 3700X FTW though.

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The Chicken.. Or the egg?

Maddness likes this.
  12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    https://community.amd.com/thread/235926 - Jan 13th 2020
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cyna1t/rx_5700xt_blackscreen_solution_for_me/ - Sep 2 2019
    https://community.amd.com/thread/241501 - July 21 2019
    https://community.amd.com/thread/243837 - September 23 2019
    https://community.amd.com/thread/241117 - July 11 2019
    https://community.amd.com/thread/243171 - September 4th 2019
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/dxes2h/black_screen_after_driver_update_new_to_pc_help/ - Nov 16 2019
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1084445-serious-issue-with-5700-xt/ - July 20 2019
    https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/331251-drivers-for-rx-5000-are-they-still-bad - October 2019
    https://community.amd.com/thread/244397 - October 12th 2019
    https://community.amd.com/thread/242928 - August 28 2019

I literally found these in 5 seconds by typing "amd blackscreen 2019"

Each one of these posts have several other posts inside also having the issue. People in this very thread admit to having the issue for months or in some cases years.

You clearly searched no webs and should be investigated for being the worst web searcher in the history of web searching.

Loophole35 likes this.
  13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    You asked who reported the black screen first. You said the issue was generated at this website. I showed the opposite and now suddenly the goal posts are moved to "only statements from AMD"? That's not how this works.

Also can you quote me AMD saying they can't replicate the issue? I can't find anything that even suggests that.

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yeah all the people here on Guru3D are just disabling their sound. Man if only they stopped disabling their sound randomly they wouldn't have these issues.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean Navi is probably AMD's most popular GPU launch in years (so there are more people buying the card, more likely to experience and report the issue) but just spending 20 minutes reading some of the larger threads should tell you the problem isn't with sound drivers (more people actually report this is not the problem because of how the issue seems to be heavily affected by having discord installed - so they try replacing/removing soundcard)

There are people in some of these threads that literally replaced half their hardware trying to fix the issue - they've formatted, they replaced PSUs, they replaced motherboards, they tried Gen3 (when 4 is available), they've undervolted, overvolted, normal volted, etc.

I really think it's a weird software compatibility thing personally.

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    I am not making up my issue with the newest few drivers, I legitimately want the issue fixed so I can update to new drivers like I normally would when they are released.

But you know, I must be a AMD troll seeing as I have a full AMD system and I'm talking about the black screen issue present in the last few drivers released.... it's a conspiracy, I must be a secret Nvidia employee.

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-2-1

Known Issues
    • Some DirectX®11 API games may experience an application crash when performing a task switch with Radeon Image Sharpening enabled.
    • Enabling feature for Radeon ReLive such as Instant Replay, Instant Gif or In-Game Replay may cause the display or UI to flicker or stutter.
    • A loss of display with working audio may be experienced on a limited number of displays when performing a mode change on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
    • A system crash or hang may occur when running the Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers™ benchmark.
    • Integer Scaling may cause some video content to show flicker when the display resolution is set to less than native resolution.
    • The Radeon Software Overlay hotkey notification may sometimes be displayed during video playback in web browsers or launching some video player applications.
    • Radeon Software may open with an inconsistent size or may not keep its previously set size when opened.
    • Modifying the HDMI Scaling slider may cause FPS to become locked to 30.
    • Some Radeon RX 5700 series graphics users may intermittently experience a black screen while gaming or on desktop. A potential temporary workaround is disabling hardware acceleration in applications running in the background such as web browsers or Discord.
    • Some games may exhibit stutter or appear to be downclocking on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products.
    • A black screen may occur when performing a mode change with a limited number of displays on Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.

xd_gaming_merch likes this.
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    So much said and very few are aware of the elephant in the room.
    Windows 10.
    While on W 7 or 8.1 with a RX 480 RX 460 and older R9 Fury no issues whatsoever.
    Once in Windows 10, same cards acted stupid and gave a whole bunch of issues.
    The icing on the cake, same cards acted just fine on Linux - Debian, Mint, PopOS, pure Arch and EndeavourOS.
    There is something fishy about Windows 10, it's a "rolling release" done poorly.
    And before anyone jumps in - I use Windows at work and honestly for some enterprise working environment it's the natural choice and the tool for business productivity.
    But c'mon, so much issues for each upgrade and version...
    For us, it's raining money, we have plenty of work fixing issues.

And AMD should give more attention to details and test even further their Windows drivers.
    What about user experience?

19. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    [​IMG]

Sure would be great if AMD acknowledged it's not just the RX 5000 series that is being affected.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's a consequence of the shifting development paradigm of software.

They have to move with the times, nearly every company is rolling releases of new OS's annually or bi-annually - the problem with MS is they have like 10 billion configurations to support across a back catalog of hardware a decade old. If you read their development posts they are clearly trying to get more testing, both automated and end-user with the Insider builds and stuff but it's not exactly easy to do all this.

But yeah I think it's pretty telling that it's a software/driver issue when there are basically no reports of the issue on Linux at all.