Radeon Graphics cards Black Screen bug is haunting AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    I have issues with hardware acceleration myself with nvidia cards. If enabled on firefox and other programs i get crashes and bsod with it. I disable it whenever there's an option for it.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Did you read the article? AMD acknowledged the problem. Also you think all these upset Navi owners are part of the Nvidia fud machine?
    https://community.amd.com/thread/243837?messageTarget=all&start=1800&mode=comments

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Not really strange when most of the evidence points towards it being software compatibility related, which wouldn't show up on a fresh test bench system.

I also like how the usual's are coming out and denying the whole thing or blaming nvidia.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 9:11 PM
  4. cinoaz

cinoaz New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 560Ti (2) in SLI
    The BLSOD (Black Screen of Death) just blacks out the screen, you can still hear the audio from the PC from your speakers/headphones. Just the display goes black with no recovery.

It was rampant when playing Outer Worlds, happened less often but still persistent with Overwatch. My only solution was to turn off EVERY SINGLE feature in the AMD control panel, I mean EVERYTHING, even the "Feedback" option.

Once I did that, I've been BLSOD free for 3 weeks. Now, saying this, isn't some great solution, because I have zero access to any features which help this card perform. It's like saying I got my Ferrari running on one cylinder, sure the engine runs, but, it's not really doing what it's suppose to do. It's not a Ferrari running on one cylinder.

I still believe, in my hearts of heart, the issue is with the Auto-throttling feature which is currently hidden from the user. The card, for whatever reason, decides to auto-throttle itself, the pipeline gets clogged, a read/write operation which is not intended to ever see a clogged pipe gets stuck waiting for a response from memory, which will never come, thus the card get's locked into that process, screen goes black, and the only method to clear the stuck process, to clear the clogged pipeline, is a hard reboot. That's why you still hear audio, everything else continues to work, the card is "vapor-locked".

The Auto-throttling is meant to address card heat and power consumption so when reviewers, like Guru3D, Gamers Nexus, UFD Tech, Jayz two Cents, Linus Tech, etc, when they do their reviews and compare thermals and power consumptions, the card looks good on paper. It's a marketing stunt. I think this throttling feature is so hard baked into the drivers, they can't just cut it out.

It's not a new issue for AMD.

HandR and Hypernaut like this.

5. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    580 here, no issues like that in any game and recently i launched and played fairly many games from various periods of time. What is exact version of your 580?

6. ht_addict

ht_addict Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega64(CF)
    I have been having issues with the latest drivers when playing Jedi Knight Fallen Order. Game will freeze and it references amemory address in AMDCCC-AEMCapturingWindow;RadeonSoftware.exe - Application Error. And i wasn't using this feature. AMD needs to give use the option on features we want to install. For now i judt just extracted the files, cancelled setup and installed the drivers via Device Manager.

Kaarme likes this.
  7. Jagman

Jagman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Pulse
    Sapphire Pulse 5700XT and no issues on any driver (currently on the latest), think I started with a 19.12.2

Upgraded from a GTX1070.

8. justdoge

justdoge Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX580 Gaming X
    its obvious nvidia jumped into negative train with their shills. its enough to browse amd reddit for 10minutes a day to see it clearly, but general crapyness of amd driver with many bugs is sadly a fact

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    That was my greatest shock when I tried the 2020 drivers. You can't control anything, and the settings in the driver software seem like placebo, only cosmetically inactivating features I will never want to see. Like disabling the hotkeys to prevent some streaming app from launching. Really? I never installed Relive in the old drivers, but now it has to be installed and you can do nothing about it, aside from removing the hotkey so that you don't accidentally start streaming. Ridiculous. I went back to an old driver. Not like my ancient 390 would benefit from new drivers anyway.

10. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon R9 380X
    I must lead an unusually charmed life since my experience with Radeons in general has been very, very positive. I could probably count any serious issues I've experienced on the fingers of one hand, minus the thumb. I was the recipient over the years of all the various ATi cards my Dad and older brother passed on to me, so I've had "hands-on" time with everything going back to the original R100. (Which I still have, somewhere.) Radeon 8500, 9700 Pro, X850 XT, X1950 XT, and on and on. I currently have about nine systems using a GCN-based GPUs. However, one Radeon I don't yet own is one employing Navi.

I'm not suggesting that people who are experiencing problems are hallucinating or imagining it. What I can imagine is how irritating it must be. And, I agree it's something that AMD needs to get a grip on and fix.

One thing that the AMD driver team could change is when the message that pops up after a negative Windows event that states "Default Radeon WattMan settings have been restored due to unexpected system failure" occurs, or if it even should occur at all. This message implies that the Radeon graphics card or driver is the culprit behind why Windows experienced an aneurysm. While a faulty or mismanaged card could certainly crash or lock-up the computer, I've seen that message pop up when I'm running totally stock GPU clocks and voltages, or when I've clearly lost matter/anti-matter containment on the CPU and the GPU is totally vanilla and just minding it's own business. I also see it consistently after AC power failures, which unfortunately comes with the territory of living in a rural area. In other words, it appears as though the graphics card and/or driver is taking ownership of a problem that it has nothing to do with. And, I've read where people are returning AMD cards as being defective after seeing this a few times.

I don't code graphic card drivers for a living; I'm just a user of them. But, perhaps RTG should fork it's driver software and segregate the GCN and RDNA packages. (Assuming they have the resources.) If nothing else, it might help troubleshooting efforts.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Wait, what? Are you feeling ok?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 11:28 PM
  12. Maddness

Maddness Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX 480
    I think he was only kidding, at least I hope so. The fact that AMD has acknowledged it is a positive.

13. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti - RX 590
    And here i thought i was going crazy and was the only one having the black screen issues lol. I was away for a long time from the hardware seen and forums ( ~ 2 years ) as i really needed a break and live life on the outside world , did travel a lot :) . I just upgraded my back up gaming rig a couple of days ago with a brand new xfx rx 590 fatboy that i found at a great price $160US on sale.

The system is as follow , Asus Strix B350-F gaming / Rysen 2600 / 16gb DDR4 and the new xfx rx 590 fatboy / nvme 512gb /on a 1000w psu. Did a fresh clean installation of latest w10 and installed the latest amd drivers 20.2.1 and all other drivers updated to the latest as well. Installed my games Forza Horizon 3 , Forza Horizon 4 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Loaded FH4 and withing 5 minutes i got my first black screen :( , i could hear the sounds playing but i lost video signal to my monitor , there was nothing i could do to bring back the video signal on screen , only a hard reset reboot of the pc would normalized after rebooting back to windows. hmmm ... i was thinking it was one time glitch but to my surprise it did it all over again and again in all the games. I tried the older driver 20.1.4 and still the same black screens. For my pc configuration it is absolutely an amd driver problem as i went all the way back to the driver from October 2019 ( 19.10.2 ) and that fixed it.

I believe they introduced some problems after they bloated the software suit on the amd drivers as with the old interface i don' have that black screen problems , but if i install the new drivers with all that bloated software my rx 590 will black screen. That is my own experience , i spent the last 2 days reading all the nightmares of this dreaded black screen issues and needed to post about it. AMD need to hurry as this drivers affect all AMD video cards , some people will have it and some people won't, i have no idea what's going on anymore with this amd drivers.

Embra likes this.
  14. hexeno

hexeno New Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I was an early adopter of the RX 5700, got one the first month, and that first month was HELL, I really wanted to replace it, had constant BSODs and Black Screen issues. Couldn’t go one single day without an issue. Thankfully the next month an update fixed all my issues.

But I don’t know what RTG is doing, I recently installed a RX 5700 XT for a friend, launched a videogame and got the static image issue after 5 minutes of gameplay. That was a new one for me.

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Has AMD even acknowledged that this issue is present on not just the new RX 5000 series? because from the looks of it they are saying "some RX 5000 users".... I don't have an RX 5000 series card and have this issue, and when I clicked the little survey there was no option for any other card other than RX 5700/XT series card.

I know my card is stable and it should not be black screening like this when having a web page open or playing a game, I've used this card "RX 470" since March of 2017 and know how it acts, it's only the past few drivers that this issue is present, really hope AMD acknowledges that this issue is present on not just the new RX 5000 series cards.

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    The funny thing is, this is something I was experiencing 19.2 to 20.1. 20.2.1 I haven't had any issues yet with my 5700 personally, but it seems that every now and then AMD just hits themselves bad with driver errors.

17. aPerson

aPerson New Member

GPU:
    Vega 56 8g
    I had a black screen issue issue with one, and only one of my monitors.

It was a Samsung C32HG70, and the issue occurred with both MSI RX580 and a Sapphire Vega56 when using display port.

The fix was to turn off Link State Power Management. This fixed the issue permanently for the effected computer.

I blamed this problem on the monitor rather then the graphics card, as the other monitors & computers I deal with do not have this problem.

P.O.N. likes this.
  18. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    I have the C27HG70 monitor with same issue but do you think all people complaining have the samsung monitor ? any way I disable hardware acc in chrome and that solved the problem but your option seems better. Where I can find link sate power management ? in bios ?

19. Welliam

Welliam Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 460 Hawk
    found link sate power management in windows power options but I already set it to off so this does not solve it

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its more strange that you a nobody on this forum comes in shouting "fake news" when more prolific members do have issues, the issues continue to drive NAVI owners to 2070S's and sounds like typical AMD fanboy head in sand ism.

Reviewers are the last people I would expect to see rail on about issues because they like receiving parts to review.

Not happening.

That's an issue with your GPU being tweaked too hard or lack of video ram for the amount of tabs you open.

I get to mess with cards from the 600-900 series (980/980ti's especially) and they are rock solid in firefox except in cases where the system is lacking in stability.

Mozilla brought the need for a rock solid system with their advanced layers and servo css renderers.

They did the same crap in defense of nvidia when I was collecting feedback for the Pascal TDR's in Win7 back in 2016/2017 - so theres stupidity on all sides of the fanboy chasm XD

On the plus side, I learned a lot more about what can actually go wrong in a display driver at the time, like as GPU / DMA Pre-Emption changes between 7 and 8.x

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/display/gpu-preemption

and such as the Windows 8 model being allowed to interrupt a high load task to ask the gpu if its doing ok, and thus preventing a TDR XD

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 4:16 AM