Radeon Graphics cards Black Screen bug is haunting AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 14, 2020 at 9:52 AM.

1. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 5700 8GB
    No such trouble after 2 months of use. I did have the rx480 8GB with some trouble booting from time to time though, but somehow it was fixed

As I used a preview version of Win10 at the time, it might have been that too, but I reported each and everyone of these problems every time.

2. morrk

morrk Member

GPU:
    Watercooled Vega 64
    I've not had a single black screen on 20.1.3. It's been ages (Maybe Nov) since I had any major issues, actually.
    Seems really strange that I had black screen issues for months when many didn't seem to be having problems and now I have no problems when AdoredTV has decided to raise the issue.
    This is my setup in case it gives somebody a clue (including AMD)

MSI Vega56 flashed to 64 on bios 016.001.001.000.008730 - Clock speeds @ stock
    3 monitors connected
    1440p @ 144Hz
    1080p @ 165Hz
    4k @ 60Hz

HBM is downclocking normally
    Numerous games played - 0 issues.

3. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700 XT
    Never had a black screen on my Saphire 5700XT, or any other issue. Same for the RX580 before it. Rock solid. Intel Z-170 motherboard.

4. Weekend

Weekend Member

GPU:
    R9 270X 2GB
    Hell, I even dare say that I had it in my r9 270x and my friend had it in r9 280 and later in r9 390 (when he sold that 280 and upgraded to 390...) after that we both are a little afraid to even consider buying amd graphics.

5. P.O.N.

P.O.N. New Member

GPU:
    AMD Vega 64
    I had the bug every day or two until I`ve disabled the LAV Video Decoder Hardware Acceleration used by Media Player Classic. Vega64 user here

Stormyandcold and Silva like this.
  6. Silva

Silva Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I'd like to know why did you go with your RX580 then, was Nvidia too expensive for you? Is AMD only good to lower prices? What do you think it will happen to prices if AMD stop making GPUs? Intel isn't a competitor yet, and Nvidia would be alone on the market, charging probably 2 times the price of 2080Ti for the 3080, and so on. By 2022 Nvidia would have killed PC gaming and everyone would own a console.
    Be mindful of what you wish for friend, it could bite you hard.

schmidtbag likes this.
  7. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700 XT GOC 8G
    I have not experienced a complete freeze either. But a black screen and a total system freeze can be easy to mix. If you're doing some Studio coding without any music playing then a black screen where you have to reset the computer will totally look like the whole system died.

The first time it happened to me i was playing a game so i could easily see the computer was still working. I could still shoot and hear the sound effect and also the music. Then when it happened while working i did a win key + typed the name of my music player, pressed enter and then the key bind to start playing music and it did. Another time only my main monitor went black the 2nd monitor was still working and i was able to move my windows from my main monitor to my 2nd monitor. I have not tried to turn off the monitor. I'll try this next time. I did a hard restart of the computer every time. It doesn't happen to me as much as others. I think it happens maybe 3-4 times a month. Outside of that i have no problem with the card or the drivers.

Will keep the card for now since i moved from a 1070 after being with nVidia for over 10 years mainly because i had lot of troubles with the 1070. G-Sync compatible would not work at all (black screens when i enabled it). Had to remove the factory overclock (Strix) after 2 years cause the card was unstable. After 2 years card would hang up couple of times a month and either die or successfully recover after 5-6 seconds of freeze. Also the performance were just not there anymore. Would not say nVidia was crippling the card but clearly was not caring about it anymore. Since the 2070 Super was 150$ CAD more expensive than a 5700XT the choice was simple. Will re-evaluate next gen if AMD doesn't fix the problem i might move back to nVidia but not at the cost of almost 1 grand CAD for sure. Hope Intel will bring some competition to the market it is much needed.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Yup - the Windows driver devs could take a page or two (or perhaps the whole book...) from the Mesa driver stack. This applies to Nvidia too, but it's mind boggling to me how AMD's Windows driver devs somehow screw things up this badly. I intend to buy AMD next because of the Linux drivers. That is such a stark difference to people who prefer to avoid AMD because of the Windows drivers.

anticupidon likes this.
  9. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I am buying, having and prefer AMD GPUs because of the Linux driver.
    Having my OS of choice and my GPU running flawlessly it's inevitable to choose this combo.

10. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Vega unfortunately has one possible cause that is hardware or PSU related due to problematic power spikes or transient draw of close to 600W at times whereas Navi has upwards of 400W transients though for a card that's supposed to hit 180W targeted power draws and doing up and a bit over the double at times yeah the problem is kinda visible here as well.
    (Reference model and that's already not too pretty, something targeting 195 - 220w or higher might spike more though I do not know the figures here very well.)

EDIT: And while less of a thing some older but still high output PSU's from before 2013 - 2014 might also have issues with low idle voltage or hitting the over current protection and shutting down from that, can also be a issue for Intel and AMD CPU's drawing very low idle voltage due to various states for this I think it's even called something like being Haswell or Haswell-E ready or certified where it's at extremely low load.
    (Current AMD bioses even has a setting for changing this so instead of 5w or what it was it's 30w at idle I think, not exactly sure on the numbers here.)

EDIT: Vega's a GPU though and if the CPU has 750 - 800w to output then this is all just a non-issue as it covers for the spikes and doesn't really go for the same low-voltage idle as Navi does. :)

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti

Idk - there has been dozens of posts on /r/amd about this with the power and it seems to be hit or miss on fixing the issue.

I find it really weird that Vega would have this problem that would lead to black screens and Navi and others would have a completely different problem that just also happens to lead to blackscreens and seems to be somewhat correlated to software (discord seems to be somewhat related). Then on top of that none of these issues seem to occur at all on Linux.

It just seems to me like it's a very strange driver issue that's really hard to pin down due to how random it is.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah the recent Vega (And Polaris and perhaps earlier too.) stability issues I believe are mainly from software or the drivers like how AMD managed to again cause issues with hardware accelerated media in browsers and what not, Vega's state is something in hardware but if the card was stable then it's software. :)

As to how bad the transients are for Vega well wattage wise 600 watts give or take and for ampere it can hit over 40 amps which would actually shut down my current 1200W PSU if it was set to multi-rail mode (Circuitry stuff, not actually multiple rails.) since it would give each rail coverage up to 40A before it shuts off for protection purposes. Just something I learned recently, not entirely sure on Navi's figures on this though they are lower but still hitting fairly high peaks.

EDIT: And for Navi this might be part of why some models of the 5700 (2x 8-pins in particular I would imagine or possibly the 6 and 8 pin variants also.) were reported as unstable even if the PSU had plenty to spare because it ran under a splitter cable from a single 8-pin output.
    Plenty in most cases together with what the PCI slot itself provides but then it spikes and that's a problem as a result.
    (Wattage wise I think I read somewhere around 300W and yeah that'd work for normal power draw but then the spikes were up to 400W which wouldn't work anymore.)

But I am still learning or trying to, this is all a really big mess and hard to figure out how things are for both the regressions on earlier GCN architecture and GPU's here and for Navi and RDNA.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 5:10 PM
  13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Now everyone getting random black screen and system freeze without getting event logs entries or dumps pointing fingers against AMD (I confess: me too).

14. spectatorx

spectatorx Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    I'll let myself quote my own post from driver thread:

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Their drivers have been trash since forever. I had nothing but issues with Rage IIc. X1800 XT 256MB had its own share of issues (mostly video playback related; it was noisy and power hungry card and died shortly after one year). R9 290 has all kinds of little annoyances/bugs too and on top of that it was really power hungry and made my room warm. 2D power consumption was too high and it wouldn't stay passive.

It looks like they never learn.

16. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Red Devil
    This issue is not just limited to the Navi cards. I have the exact same issue with my Vega and it's a lot more frequent with the new 2020 drivers. I think this will be my last AMD card for a while as AMD is getting worst with every driver update by the looks of it.

P.O.N. likes this.
  17. Exige245

Exige245 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700XT 50th Anni
    I experienced this issue for the first time a few days ago. Was playing LoL using Discord and a chrome browser open. I alt-tabbed out of the game to adjust someone's volume in Discord, and then alt tabbed back into the game and got the black screen issue. Had to hard reboot. Never had the issue before with Vega, Fury, or any previous series, and this was the first occurence with Navi (5700XT)

18. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD Radeon VII
    Calling it now Fake news fud agenda, convinient that this is such a "major issue" right before amd big navi announcement. more nvidia FUD. Almost all reviews have stated they never had much issues, hmmm strange isnt't /sarcasm

My VII runs like a dream on water at 2100ghz the new amd 2020 adrenalin owns nvidia feature wise with look and feel. Its war, take every news bite with grain of salt. They just want the ad revenue since a slow news month tech wise

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020 at 7:51 PM
    Keitosha likes this.
  19. daffy101

daffy101 Active Member

GPU:
    670GTX with TT 2 cooler
    My card is not a 5700 but an rx580 and since the latest update i have had issues with 3d acceleration and black screens in games with and without discord running in the back ground. No other updates or changes to anything else on the pc.

20. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I definitely believe that nV is doing the ol' viral marketing thing--AMD has been hijacking nV's discreet 3d GPU share like crazy--and viral marketing is the way nVidia traditionally responds. nV was doing that back when 3dfx was still functioning--I saw it on websites like AnandTech where La Shrimp' was doing 3d GPU reviews (without a clue.) Saw it on Tom's Hardware way back then, saw it on Sharkey extreme. I owned both nV and 3dfx GPUs at the time, and used both, and it was easy to spot the paid negative (false) marketing by nVidia. It's one reason if you bought me a nV 3d card today I'd most likely sell it. nV still has something like 57% to AMD's 42% share, but AMD's been as low as ~20% at times. The Ryzen halo effect is selling lots and lots of AMD GPUs--and that's my take on this upswing of negative commentary from people who post these extreme accounts--"All of my games crash! I'm going nvidia!", etc....;)

I do have to say that the BSE issue (black screen event) is real, however. From July 11, to the present, I've had ~10, maybe, which equates to a 99.9% uptime with my 5700XT. It's likely that if I didn't have to reboot most of them I wouldn't remember them, they are so far apart in experience. Most of them have required a reboot, but not all. The BSE issue is the only issue I've had with the GPU--I don't have GSOD's, stuttering, or other problems. Just the BSE, which has been blissfully absent for several weeks since the last one. I have no problem with hardware accel in FFx64 DE, youtubes, etc. It's as if something trips in the GPU and simply shuts it down--maybe a voltage regulator spike. I've reported it several times already. If they can get to the cause of the BSE and fix it the card will be 100%, imo.

Oh...I didn't want to forget to say that going back to my R9 380, RX-480 & RX-590 I never saw a single BSE. Not even when I was running 480/590 8GB Xfire. It's only been with the 5700XT that I've seen it at all.