Radeon Fury X Beats GeForce GTX Titan X and Fury to GTX 980 Ti: 3DMark Bench

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 17, 2015.

1. AndreasGuido

AndreasGuido Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Totally agree. This 970 is my first Nvidia for many years, havent had any problems with ATI drivers at all. Had 2 crashes with 970 in early days and thats it. Some people are simply too green or too red. I simply want better performance for less money :D

2. AvengerUK

AvengerUK Guest

GPU:
    Titan X (Pascal) EK-WB
    Not until a proper review no

3. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    What do you think? No voltage or fan control was touched during OC:

[​IMG]

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The enginer dude on the right last night seemed pretty sure it would overclock pretty well on the stock watercooler for the Fury X.
    I'll wait for the reviews :)

5. goodCode

goodCode Guest

GPU:
    gtx970 OC
    cha cha cha :) don't talk about others and for others.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    There is one thing which has to be considered with OC.
    Power draw increases as CHIP heats up and as VRMs heat up.

As My VRMs heat up, power consumption goes up with them. IIRC there is 10~15% increase in power consumption under same load just by heating VRMs to 80C.

Fury X water cooling has heatpipe for VRMs, that is likely part of energy efficiency and may prove to provide good OC while keeping good power efficiency.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Honestly the stock AIO cooler is probably one of the smartest unforeseen things about these cards. If 4 years ago you asked me if they should put an AIO on GPU's I'd definitely say no. Now I'm wondering why Nvidia isn't doing the same thing. Works/Looks even better with the smaller PCB due to HBM. If PASCAL doesn't feature at least one AIO cooled chip I'll be pretty disappointed.

8. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The waterblock should cover the VRM's too.
    Is there a pic of it ?

edit : just seen a pic. Thats not a heatpipe (its a space station!!!) its the return pipe for the watercooler block thats just being used in a heat-pipe way for cooling some of the VRM's. The main VRM's are cooled by the plate that seems attached to the block.
    edit2 : looking at it upside down. :) The main VRM's are cooled by the return flow in the heatpipe style thing.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  10. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua

11. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    quick question...
    can this water cooler be installed on bottom of the case infront of the PSU or is that to much strain on the water cooler?

I ask due to a few things

my cpu cooler will not let it fit on back panel
    i do not want it up top in case it leaks
    and the front of the case has the HDD trays which I do not feel like removing

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That metallic heatpipe is right above VRMs, it is thing I wrote about. It is cooled directly this way and seems very good idea to me (it adds little cost in comparison to having special block covering entire card).

13. koukosklan

koukosklan Guest

So basically Fury X is the fastest card in the world as long as you keep your settings below 4GB vram usage >_> I wanna play at 1440p at max settings and the expensive 980ti sadly still seems the only way to go...

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    May or may not be OK, I would not do it if you intend to OC or if you do not have at least 1.5cm space under case for airflow.
    If your case is on carpet, then it is no go.
    You can drill/cut proper fan hole to side cover of case, or simply buy custom one with hole ready for additional 12cm fan mounting.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Do you have heavy stuttering as you hit close to 4GB vram utilization, then get 4GB gtx980.

And do not forget that vram utilization differs between generations and between AMD and nV as each uses different way to store data in vram.

I can downsample from 1440p with only 3GB vram. And no caching issues.

16. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    24 chips on a 16bit slow ( each chip only have a 16bit MC available ), tiny controller memory ( 16x24= 384bit ), im not sure it is a good idea... now you know why you dont see any performance increase between a 3GB and a 6GB gpu who hold a 384bit memory bus )

Vram, bandwith and memory usage is a complex question, specially with games, allocation, that us gamers, have really not approach outside a basic view.

maybe the next step...

17. koukosklan

koukosklan Guest

If 4GB is enough i would still go for the Fury, hell if i knew that games will be kept under 3.5GB vram usage on 1440p without AA enabled i would just SLI my GTX 970. But 980ti looks so much safer. Guess we will have to wait for game benchmarks since firestrike barely uses vram unless you run it at 5-8k.

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Does Farcry 4 even have a built in benchmark tool? Hopefully they got their tessellation performance up, would be amusing if they started outperforming Nvidia in Gameworks titles.

Honestly it's probably irrelevant. HBMv2 stuff will have 8GB+ and the idea of optimizing memory bandwidth + storage will once again go out the window.

20. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Has Hairworks improved any with drivers or Witcher 3 patches? Calling a 20% performance hit an nVidia exclusive feature is ridiculous.