Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.12.1 driver download & disccussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 8, 2020.

1. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wonder if that helps with HDR anything hah, well probably only a minimal difference plus you'd need a true 10-bit or higher panel I believe for it to fully make a difference, would be nice to sort out banding too but it's not that simple unfortunately.
    Good to know what it actually does though unlike the other bit option which I presume then doesn't alter the desktop and that retains a 8-bit format.

2. soniktoothe

soniktoothe Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+
    Currently I have a pretty stable setup but at a certain point Time Spy and Firestrike will crash along with Radeon Adrenalin which to me seems more driver issue than an unstable OC but I could be wrong. I don't get artifacts at all, just a total crash of Adrenalin. I saw a thread about the driver release in August and someone said that 19.5.2 was the most stable driver for them. I may try rolling back to it. Also looks like the AMD uninstaller along with DDU does a better job than only using DDU to remove the old driver.

On my next day off I will probably give that a shot along with the 19.5.2 release.

I will probably do a post with my current settings and see if anyone has tips on how to tweak it further. I am fairly new to doing manual OC on a GPU.

3. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    47GB. Nice! :D

upload_2020-12-20_16-48-34.png

JonasBeckman likes this.
  4. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    lol, how?

5. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    AMD's little overlay service probably got hung up on something the other one is Master Chief Collection on what appears to be Unreal Engine 4(?) based on the naming I think.

EDIT: Haven't picked it up yet, sounds like it's good shape by this point though so bound to happen at some point H5 or no. :p

EDIT: Service might be doing other stuff too thus Radeon Settings Service rather than ReLive Service or whatever plus the secondary desktop one.

I tend to just rename them, set Radeon Settings options as desired (And repeat on driver updates / driver clean installs.) and never touch either of these again after that until required also removing startup entries and such so it's not running in the background or anything with the main setting software.
    Not quite proper but eh it works though the Radeon Settings Software might be a bit error prone without said service and if you use ReLive and the Radeon Overlay functionality you need these.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    MaCk0y likes this.
  6. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Had it blocked, but looks like Radeon Software is able to check for updates, somehow. Unless it is another one of things that appears to do one thing...has anyone been able to block internet access?

7. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This location

C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext

This file

RadeonSoftware.exe

8. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It at least logs out a few results in a text file but now also some script files plus the Link utility checks something on each start as of the last couple of drivers. (There's another log file from that in the temp folder.)

EDIT: Not sure how much else it does though and which software processes or services are involved in the latest drivers.

9. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Thanks)

10. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Had that blocked, but apparently that's not enough anymore...

11. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    The AMD Link Controller Emulation device is OK to disable, correct?

AMD's Pci BUS is back in Device Manager. Feels like AMD likes to over-complicate things.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah I think it's for input recognition and support only so it's optional.

From the FAQ AMD has about it.

GSDragoon likes this.
  13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Really?

I use a program that lets me see everything that accesses the internet, for AMD drivers that is the only thing I have ever seen access the net from the driver.

Are you sure you didn't use something like ccleaner in between installing drivers? I think that erases firewall rules that are no longer valid.

14. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Used the Windows advanced firewall settings to block it - inbound and outbound(along with few other apps from same folder, this time). Blocking only RadeonSoftware was enough before.
    No ccleaner - DDU and AMD cleaner in safe mode.
    Manual driver update check didn't go through(update fail), but the date under Status in AMD Software kept being updated...

Will see whether F.A.B. did it...

Might be "cosmetic", but it is set to Manual update. Sloppy work by AMD. No wonder there are driver issues...

15. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Does anyone have the Record Desktop option enabled?

16. knightriot

knightriot Member

GPU:
    16GB
    me upload_2020-12-29_10-50-1.png

I used it to record this guide:

srdjan1995 likes this.
  17. qpens8

qpens8 Member

GPU:
    8700gt 512
    HDR not enabling automatically in-game is a driver issue game issue (Call of Duty Cold War)?

18. srdjan1995

srdjan1995 Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Dual RX 6650XT
  19. wuest3nfuchs

wuest3nfuchs Active Member

GPU:
    RX 6800xt Pulse
    Hi guys,

Vega56 user here, did AMD driver team changed the Freesync setting into adaptive sync?
    Screenshot 2021-01-02 222109.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2021
  20. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Yep, FreeSync is AMD's implementation of Adaptive Sync (VESA) standard