Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.1.3 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    No need to take things so personal. His comment really wasn't nasty, was it?

The browser issue is seemingly random here, so you'd have to use Firefox with acceleration enabled for a while, possibly.

Passus likes this.
  2. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    He did add something. Your comment, not so much.

Passus likes this.
  3. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    That may also be a thing, but it locked up even with no game open(one screen).

Passus likes this.
  4. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    If I understand it correctly, you're saying that me turning off HW Acceleration makes my PC better maintained? That's the trick? Me placing more load on my CPU wouldn't make things worse, if my PC wasn't properly maintained? Task manager shows 30 background processes, with AV running. 65 for Windows. Would you say that is poorly maintained? 0%-1% CPU utilization. Is my system chocking on something?

Passus likes this.

5. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Pretty sure I didn't always have them. For me, it could happen with 1-3 tabs open, with no video...

6. motoman26

motoman26 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 4070 ti
    You have something else going on there. Time to check your system for a virus or check your Win install for errors.

Rufus1 likes this.
  7. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Could simply be related to the forced amd pci driver uninstall/install, not a virus.

P.e., I have a VM service that can cause a bsod when usb ports from a external controller are enabled/disabled, this happens while it's using using a generic MS driver (instead of a very old one from the maker). Because of this, I can be greeted with a bsod after log in the first boot after the new amd pci driver is enabled after an amd gpu driver update, as it causes some sort re-detection to the usb controller.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
  8. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
    no one listens everybody just likes to moan at everyone else i give up

why i said run a scan malwarebytes a good start but hey ho

9. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
    no u didnt understand me properly keep system maintained is a different thing and I was trying to make sugestions seriously all everyone does on here is either take things personally or bitch

10. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
    whenever there is a system prob make a cup of coffee and run a scan or few good starting point even if no virus/malware at least its ruled out then move on

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    i see what you mean lol,, i'll change it back and see :p

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Wanted to chime in here and tell a little story:

My laptop is in the shop getting repairs, so in the downtime I dragged out my x58 desktop system with the R9 390 card, and started updating the system to be current. I haven't used it in 2 years, and the OS was still on 1709. :D After doing a slew of updates, and installing apps that I now use, I also had the fun of installing 2020 Radeon, and have been surprised by the development of the application has been.

1) Radeon Controls have been more flushed out vs 2 years ago, and I like how the settings are now grouped. I was most impressed by the Coler temp slider, something that is lacking on NVCP.

2) Gaming Profiles work with out any issues. I remember this was a bit spotty 2 years ago. Had to use one to disable FreeSync with MPC-BE, or else I got some strobing in the playback with it plus madVR.

3) FreeSync just works with my EW3270U. Without having to set up the games in any special way, unlike my 1070M solution with the laptop. It works with FSO enabled or disabled, whether VSync is enabled, or not. GSync Compatible is a bit of hair pulling with this monitor. Yeah, I can get it to work, but often it requires some workaround. For example, GSync + VSync + RTSS cap is broken, as I get dark scanlines in the latter part of the display with SWTOR, and other DX9 games. I can get it working with Fast Sync, but I have to Alt-Tab out/in and have the game reset to get it working properly, else it blanks the screen. And when I change world maps, I have to redo it.

If you do a search on Google, you'll find plenty of forums with postings about VSync being broken with GSync. My Samsung UE510 was just fine with GSync Compatible, but not my new one. But I love the 95% DCI-P3 color space support and HDR capabilities, and the price was also just right, so I don't want to give up on it because of NVIDIA driver bull.

4) It's really nice to be able to adjust your game profile settings in-game. Want to switch VSync settings mid game? No problem. Not with NVCP... you need to restart the game.

5) I appreciate the fact that my R9 390 is still supported. I remember when my HD5870 Mobility was classified as legacy, and lost driver support.

6) Since I have a Sapphire, I can use TriXX, which has also gotten some really nice spit & polish. Nice hardware monitor page, plus the ability to configure Resolution Scaling is a sweet bonus, as I do use it for some games. I also made some custom resolutions like I did with NV, so it's nice to have options of how to set that up.

7) NVIDIA still uses a default profile when you connect a monitor. Always 8bit by default, default sRGB color space. Radeon 2017 also did the same, no 10bit support. Radeon 2020 detected it as 10bit and HDR, and got the color temp properly too, and set everything up properly.
    Bravo.

Seeing how well developed the driver and app package is, and also how much of a PITA the NV crap is (whitelisting in BIOS which panels you can use to support GSync on a laptop panel is lolwtf), I don't foresee me using NVIDIA solutions going forward. I am just sick of their corporate practices and money-grubbing licensing they embed into EVERY aspect of using their products.

So to all those people on the NVIDIA side of this forum who still love to say NVIDIA drivers are so much better than AMD's Radeon, and they have the quality, I say you should expand your horizons. The Radeon package is a heck of a lot more polished and developed, and intuitive to use. It took me a few minutes to shift my brain back into using Radeon again, I forgot a lot in 2 years. :)

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    We don't want radeon settings. period.

GFE is for the picture book people who desire a visual aid.

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    You remind me those whatever if server admins who despise gui and prefer terminal only. :rolleyes: :D

Undying likes this.
  15. Digilator

Digilator Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT
    Where did you see me bitching? Don't see a need for bad language. Swim alone in your filth if you can't act like a civil adult.

Also, feel free to think that some malware/virus is causing browser crashes for some people only if they have acceleration enabled.

16. 1pvpslayer

1pvpslayer Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    I think i finally fixed my black screen bsod issues.

What i did:
    1) Installed LG IPS monitor drivers. It runs with HDMI and freesync at 75hz, all black screen issues started year ago when i bought it. Never installed monitor drivers before
    2) Disable PCIe Link State Power Management in control panel.
    Dont know what helped but seems it stable now. System running 22 hours without crash. Gaming/browser.
    Fingers crossed.

wirapuru, Undying and OnnA like this.
  17. Rufus1

Rufus1 Guest

GPU:
    Rog Strix RX 5700XT
    I was speaking generally not directed at you as for malware up to you I dont give a dam never did like forums anyways bye

18. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    You are fortunate then. From my understanding those with newer monitors don't offer monitor drivers. In Device Manager it simply reads "Generic PnP Monitor" But if you use Radeon it will read the name of your monitor (under Display).

19. 1pvpslayer

1pvpslayer Member

GPU:
    R9 390
    Yes, but with drivers in device manager it reads LG IPS FullHD (HDMI). I dont know if there any difference in working mode.

Maybe it is PCIe Link State Power Management can cause problems or conflict with drivers. It is energy saving feature, and black screen problem most likely power issue

20. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Depends on particular display. Usually monitor drivers are just color profiles with .inf installer. I have 2016 display with such driver, when i'm installing it i have 3 options available to choose from: vga, display port and hdmi. So in this case, i would assume, these are separate color profiles for different connection types.