Radeon Adrenalin Edition 18.1.1 WHQL Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by NvidiaFreak650, Jan 18, 2018.

1. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX460
    yep I also already see this behavior very strange ;):(

2. JoeyR

JoeyR Member

GPU:
    2x eVGA GTX 980Ti's
    "On multi GPU enabled system configurations Player Unknowns Battlegrounds™ may experience menu item flickering."
    Thank you AMD, unfortunately the last GPU i own of your is the X800 XT PE(you were only ATI theno_O). But glad you fixed this issue for customers, as ....................
    meanwhile in the green Corner(I am located here): Nvidia has released countless "game ready drivers" one especially for PUBG(388.71) which now, completely disabled SLI for PUBG. Then release yet another driver 18 days later which still ignores the issue. Here Nvidia advertises this game on the Geforce website for months, and still doesn't have proper SLI support. Hats off to AMD for making it right for it's customer base.

rafaelluik, Krteq and dean469 like this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Installed. Works. Games Ok. Browsing OK. Videos OK.

OnnA and Jackalito like this.
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Yup, same !
    :D

9.3 OK
    12.1 was OK
    12.2 OK
    18.1 OK

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    ReLive has some kind of issue. Few minutes after boot it starts to use GPU on my system. Utilization and clock goes up.
    My usual GPU core power draw at idle state is 14~15W. ReLive takes that to 46~47W. Killing its process does temporarily fix it as it is auto restarted. (So I had to rename binary to prevent startup.)

With 17.12.2 I did clean install and skipped ReLive, but process was loaded anyway, so I had to do renaming again...
    Have to check how 18.1.1 behaves.

Looks Like ReLive process is back again, but no longer misbehaves.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  6. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega64 Nit
    There are two processes - AMD ReLive: Host Application and AMD ReLive Desktop Overlay, which start with Radeon Settings that trigger this behavior. If you stop them from Task Manager gpu clocks will drop down after you don't watch the video. It only happens on Firefox. I don't know watts up with these processes since I didn't install Relive anyway.

HK-1 likes this.
  7. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Driver seems fine more than ok. There is also an updated chipset driver 16/1 for those interested.

OnnA likes this.
  8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    They get booted up by a new startup task and even if you remove this when you start CNext it'll still call dvrcmd.exe so if you don't intend to use ReLive or any features like the overlay you can go to "C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext" and rename the file. :)
    (And then the two processes won't come back and can be shut down if wanted.)

As for Firefox I keep hardware acceleration off since it's still not 100% reliable, media intensive sites can be a bit slow but other than that I don't really have any problems with the browser though v57 and v58 beta (RC6 as of today.) both consume a fair amount of RAM now.

EDIT: Credits to whoever named that exe and what it did in I think it was the 17.12.1 driver thread?

HK-1 likes this.
  9. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX460
    oh yes thanks a lot so I need verify with more attention :)

10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    Good, updated chipset driver is: 17.40.Jan16 (was Dec 27)

HK-1 and warlord like this.

11. Octopuss

Octopuss Master Guru

GPU:
    -
    Out of curiosity, what is this file and where did you find it? There's nothing like that in the driver package.

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah I think AMD removed it from the files a few driver releases back, initially it was from the stand-alone profile packages when AMD had those but then it made it's way into the driver itself and is stored in .\Windows\system32\
    The file I have is from October 6th so it must have been removed in the early 17.11.x drivers somewhere.

Since it's no longer listed in the .INF for the current drivers removing the driver files will not remove the file thus it remained even if I did a more thorough uninstall when 17.12.1 was released and we went from Catalyst Crimson to Catalyst Adrenaline.

You can get it here if you need it:

atiapfxx.rar
    http://www81.zippyshare.com/v/gjJkxeyy/file.html

The arguments above makes a copy of atiapfxx.blb and converts said copy to atiapfxx.xml which I then move from syswow64 to another folder where I keep the file from the previous driver and then a simple comparison via Notepad++ and the Compare 2.0 plugin is how I track changes. :)

EDIT:
    I often compare the actual driver files too though a .INF comparison will also reveal any changes when compared against a older driver since AMD occasionally trims files.

coinst_17.50.dll is probably a common one, for driver branch 17.40 it would have been coinst_17.40.dll though a uninstall software like DDU probably keeps track of legacy files like this, me? I prefer to do it manually and thus keep track of files and registry changes mostly from the .INF though it doesn't contain everything.
    (CNext is a separately installed software package with it's own settings and files for example not part of these driver files directly.)

EDIT: As for the .INF file and the files it uses that would be under the [SourceDisksFiles] section in there. :)
    coinst_17.50.dll=1 for example, you can see atiapfxx.blb but the .exe is nowhere to be found now.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    OnnA likes this.
  13. wotan

wotan Member

GPU:
    PowerColor R9 390Pcs+8GB
    no loading bug Forza H3 this is great :rolleyes:

OnnA likes this.
  14. mpv73

mpv73 Member

GPU:
    RX 560 4GB
    Coming back from sleep mode somehow crashes things and results in a black screen so back to previous driver it is.

15. Biały Wilk

Biały Wilk Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
    Then wtf you doing in amd topic, go to green forum and stop crying as you would loose virginity by your finger, accidentally.

Ok, back to topic :) Those work great for me, I have no more issues with older DX9 games. With alpha ones AA didn't work for first Witcher, now it's perfectly fine.

Passus likes this.

16. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX460
    hmm I have installed this driver here and no issues except when open youtube on FF 57.04 still a little strange I don't want install Chrome only for test same with IE or any other browser ;)
    EDIT: Damn I decided check DxDiag and now I see that is WHQL :confused:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  17. Shellar

Shellar Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Yep, that's haha funny. AMD first step into using variables it seems. The rest of their settings (look inside xml files in \win10-64bit-radeon-software-adrenalin-edition-18.1.1-jan18\Config folder for example) is pretty much hardcoded with absolute path and requires defaults: e.g. system drive to be C:, Program Files also on C: etc. Reminds of then Symantec Corporate (target - businesses) antivirus that was certified for Citrix Metaframe. It used proper system variables (by default Metaframe system drive was m:, there was no c:), but failed to install because install log was hardcoded to c:. Workaround was to use subst for install.

Anyways, why not use shorter variable %ProgramFiles% and why AMD uses REG_SZ instead of REG_EXPAND_SZ? Does anybody actually have atikmdag_dce.log in that location? I don't. (Checked on my and my wife's PCs.)
    P.S. Profiles still don't survive reboot

18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    ^^
    P.S. Profiles still don't survive reboot

Hmm, mine do :D -> Simple solution?
    Open Task Sheduler -> set Start CN with Highest Privileges (double click on Task)
    Then always open CN with Admin rights -> I have so much profiles with Tweaked Chill etc.
    All working as intended :p

19. Shellar

Shellar Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    no offence, OnnA, written text is poor medium for emotions, but that was really funny... I mean... your choice of words made me literally LOL. "All working as intended", "Highest Privileges" and "always open CN with Admin rights" - what is this? Windows 95 days?
    I might play with what you suggest because I'm curious, but I rather not use this everyday, coz... I'm always running as limited user with UAC set to max unless I really need to do some admin things... and these AMD Tasks where Author is set to some random PC on AMD network are immediately removed once drivers are installed. I thought (and I might be wrong here, you tell) the RadeonSettings.exe process is responsible for profiles. No?

20. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega XTX LiQuiD
    ^^ OK
    C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Local\AMD\CN\gmdb.blb
    All is there (YES when i edited Game it is visible in Adrenalin Profile also)

When you have >40 Games in it -> it is usefull & faster
    maby it will help you?

And Yes no matter the Win version Old school is always in Win Position :D (Pun intended)

Skinner and HK-1 like this.