Radeon Adrenalin 20.11.2 RX5700XT Fan Curve Question Newb

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Josh A, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Josh A

Josh A New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX5700XT
    Hi all!

I just got the RX5700XT and had some questions about fan curve settings.

Everyone seems to have a different opinion so I am quite confused what is the best way about it. If I turn on Automatic Tuning the Fan does not run until about 50-60C with the fan idle feature (which i know is how this GPU is built) and then when im playing games they get to about high 70'sC which is fine. But would it be better to have the Fan Tuning set to manual and set my own curve which i tried and I see that it does not go below 35% with this new version of 20.11.2.? Which means the fan will be running all the time? Is this ok. I attempted this with my own fan curve and am getting lower temperatures since the fan is always on but is it ok for the fan to be running when the pc is idle? Im getting about 45C with around 800-900RPM when idle with the manual fan curve. Sorry if confusing.

Attached a pic of my manual fan curve. if leave on manual is this a decent fan curve? Screenshot 2020-11-28 115028.png

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    I prefer a manual fan curve and a higher minimum speed though Wattman and changes and inconsistencies have made it harder to set something really good and every driver it's best to double check so that AMD didn't change something with how it works.
    For the 5000 series I believe the fan curve follows the TJunction temperature readings and once again it's less of a curve it's more of a step it immediately jumps from one point to another possibly going to idle if zero RPM is enabled but several AIB's don't allow this so it instead goes by the bios values or any driver set minimum speeds and idle behavior. :)

GPU core can tolerate around 105 Celsius TJunction and the memory I think is 95 but I believe the timings relax a bit over 75 here I am not 100% on that though.

My own preference is to set it high and see how it sounds and then dial it down while in a more demanding title known to push the GPU harder so I can also monitor the temps, balancing the two keeping GPU around 80 degree TJunction and memory around 70 preferably.

Pulse model here oscillates a bit so 60% max with headphones covering for most of the fan noise and with the undervolt and clock speed tweaks it's not been a issue temperature wise so far keeping it in that range.
    Only wish I could keep a minimum though (40% or so) and that'd push out a bit more air but it follows the bios at 22% or something like that when not under a 3D workload condition.

Far as wear & tear goes they're pretty durable so a few years shouldn't be a issue at all. :)

Knowing what your GPU has for limits aiming for a bit below these and what's generally tolerable and then tuning in a fan curve around this and your own tolerance for the resulting fan noise well that's how I do it, nothing fancy 40 to 60 so it's just a step up of 5 each in a bit of a line here with a temperature using 10 so starting at 50 and ending at 90 there giving a bit extra room but it never goes that hot so 50 - 55% fan speed however Wattman wants to use the setting and roughly 80 degrees TJunc from the sensor readout, ha ha.

3. Josh A

Josh A New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX5700XT
    Thanks for the reply. I was kind of hoping for a simpler explanation of a few things. At a high GPU usage i am getting about at most high 80-85Cs TJunction and about 70C GPU with the fan going at about 50-60%RPM. I think this is reasonably fine?

I just wanted to make sure that it is ok that the GPU fan never turns off. Even when idle it is spinning about 800RPM on average to keep the PC cool at about 45C-50C or so. Just wish there was a way to turn off the fan when idle but it does not seem this is an option when using a manual fan curve

4. Josh A

Josh A New Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX5700XT
    Also are you saying that the Manual Fan curve goes off the TJunction not the normal temperature?

5. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 5700XT Gaming OC
    It's ok for the fan to be continuously spinning. That's how mine is set. With a manual fan curve, you cannot go below 33% in Wattman. It was always like that. Probably you can do it in Afterburner.
    Yes, the fan curve in Wattman is based on the Junction temperature.

6. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah AMD uses this junction sensor for the hottest overall part in a group of sensors or something like that, think they call the other one surface now which would be the traditional sensor readout from earlier GPU models with a 10 - 20 degree difference roughly.

There's something like 60 - 80 sensors total now I think just as a bit of a random trivia so you have the temperature junction for GPU and VRAM but I think it also covers some other bits possibly the SOC or the VRM's although I have not kept up too well with how AMD's setting these up.
    (Vega already had a fair amount of them and then Radeon VII using a earlier form of this method too.)

Not that great at explanations but constant operation shouldn't be a issue, ball bearings and such is from what I know what wears out but they're still pretty long-lasting and turning on and off the fan might be affecting it's overall life-time more than having it spin constantly with the burst of voltage starting and stopping the electronics but again it's not something that is going to fail anytime soon. :)
    (Exceptions exist but that's more down to faulty hardware even if it might not show immediately depending on the nature of said fault.)

Had a 4870 I think it was where the fan was poorly fitted so after a few months it popped loose, noticed it in time though and could fix it. Only issue I've ever had with these devices.
    Certainly possible that thermal pads and grease application might have been sub-par in some cases though nothing outright critical but if I had been more active at taking apart the cooler and doing the job myself it could probably have reduced temps further.
    (Well the thermal paste and conductive material here for transfer into the cooler.)

EDIT: The way the driver at least under D3D9 to D3D11 also burst and boosts up to near max and then gradually drops down is also something I dislike and why I prefer a manual fan curve to somewhat mitigate this especially if it starts constantly starts dropping and then boosting up the fan between various cycle levels since it's shifting immediately instead of a gradual curve here.

D3D12 and Vulkan for some reason behaving a lot more like expected shifting up and then hitting the target temp not going past it and dropping down to the targeted fan level.

Lot less noisy. :)
    Throwing in DXVK for D3D->Vulkan wrapping even if there wasn't much of a performance improvement would be worth it for that reason alone. Ha ha.
    Gotten better though at least in terms of performance and stability, hopefully Adrenaline 2021 and the later December drivers can give Wattman a more thorough rework not that I'm expecting much here.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020