1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radeon 9800 Pro (cannot install drivers for the life of me)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Pipewrench, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    Hey folks,

First post. I'm usually pretty good with this stuff but not today. Here's the deal:

I have a Compaq Evo 1.5GHz box running Windows XP Pro with SP2. I yanked out my old GF3 Ti200 and threw in a ATi 9800 Pro.

Upon booting the box I removed all Nvidia software and then ran DriverCleaner. Rebooted. Windows found the 9800 pro and installed generica Microsoft drivers. I then tried to install Catalyst 5.10's. It stopped saying something like "try installing a standard VGA driver first before running setup. Setup can not continue".

So I tried that. Nothing. I then removed all ATi stuff and ran DriverCleaner again. Rebooted. Tried to install Catalyst 5.9's and later 5.7's. Nothing.

Seems that no matter what I do or how many times I run DriverCleaner I cannot get the software for this card to install.

The last thing I did was run DriverCleaner after removing all video card software. I then shutdown and put my GeForce 3 Ti 200 back in and installed the Detonator's with no problem. The box works great.

Any ideas are really appreciated. I did a search here first and I think I've tried everything that you all suggested and nothing works.

It seems crazy that I've never had a problem before with NVidia stuff but I've had problems with ATi 9600 Pro, 9500 , and now this 9800 Pro. ATi is not impressing me at all.

I find it unacceptable that one would have to reinstall Windows to use this card. I would simply not use the card if it came to that. If that's the case than ATi and Nvidia need to learn how to write driver code better.

2. Wu Masta James

Wu Masta James Member

GPU:
    ATI Radeon 9800XT 256MB 8x AGP
    I'm having the exact same problem now man. I just did a fresh reinstall of windows and I'm having the problem your having. I'm starting to regret that I switched over to ATi.

3. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    Yeah it's weird. I'm not trying at all to dis on ATI but I've never had these problems with anything Nvidia. I always have problems with ATI. Kinda sucks :)

4. Wu Masta James

Wu Masta James Member

GPU:
    Ok I just got threw the install without any errors. Try this:

Go into the "Device Manager" and makesure you remove anything under "Display Adapters", "Uninstall" the ATI display adapter. Then restart, and let windows search for new hardware. That annoying thing should pop up "Blah blah new hardware found". Try to install the "VGA Device", it might not find it, thats what happened to me but just continue. Then it asked "Install Video Display". That failed too, lol. So after all that I ran my 5.9 drivers and they installed fine. Hopefully no errors on boot-up be back in a few.

5. Wu Masta James

Wu Masta James Member

GPU:
    Okay, success! Lol, try what I said doing and hopefully it will work. Also, if you have anti-virus software running, disable while installing. Sometimes that can cause a conflict.

6. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    Tried all that before I posted this thread. :)

Thanks for trying to help anyway.

7. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    I also forgot to mention that I updated the chipset drivers for the motherboard. Still nothing.

Anyone?

8. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    uninstall ATI drivers, run drivercleaner, when prompted to search for drivers after a restart click cancel, install your drivers, and thats it, if that doesnt work, format an do a fresh install of winXP, or throw your pc away and buy an Xbox ffs.

9. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    Hmm.....I already did all that and it didn't work.

What's up with your signature and your location? You some sort of "white supremacist"? Why tell me go get an XBOX?

You're not really a lot of help now are ya?

10. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    What version of ATi drivers are you using, CP or CCC?

11. BoloMarkIII

BoloMarkIII Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GTX 512 Pci x16
    With Nvidia card in, uninstall Nvidia drivers then shutdown remove Nvidia install ATI card reboot in SAFEMODE if New Hardware comes up CANCEL it.
    Run drivercleaner in SAFE MODE remove both all ATI & Nvidia stuff.
    Reboot normal when New Hardware comes up CANCEL it then install Cat.s manualy.

12. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    CCC

Tried 5.10, 5.9, 5.7

What do you mean "manually"? You mean via the .inf file?

13. BoloMarkIII

BoloMarkIII Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 7900GTX 512 Pci x16
    Just start the installer you downloaded dont use Hardware Wizard cancel it.

14. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Do you have Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 installed on your system? In order to install the Catalyst Control Center (CCC) drivers you must have net framework installed, if you do then ignore this post as I have no idea what I’m babbling about. :D

15. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    Yep......have .NET stuff installed.

:)

16. jose antonio

jose antonio Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX HD 4870 800/1000
    When you try the first installation of Catalysts, a temp folder ATI is created in you c: drive. Try installing the drivers manually, using the add new hardware function in the control panel. Instead of searching for drivers automatically, specify the folder C:\ATI\(drivers or something) where the .INI file for the drivers is located. Hope this helps.

17. Pipewrench

Pipewrench New Member

GPU:
    Nothing works.

I'm giving up and going back to my Nvidia card.

18. Myth2Loki

Myth2Loki Master Guru

GPU:
    unknown / 9700PRO / 128MB
    I have not in this trouble ever.
    a poor man.