Radeon 5870 - random green pixels

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by sykurmoli, Oct 25, 2009.

1. sykurmoli

sykurmoli New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    Dear 3D Gurus,

I have recently built a new system with a Sapphire HD5870. I am experienceing the following issue and have so far not been able to solve it.

Green pixels are randomly appearing on the screen for no apparent reason. I'm talking 10-20 pixels at a time...
    Sometimes they are "solid", but most of the time they are blinking. it could be all over the place, it's not limited to some specific pixels on the screen.

Because I can capture them on screeshots, I think the issue lays with the video card, not the screen or DVI cable.

My system (specs given below) is up to date, as far as drivers are concerned and I have not overclocked any component. Temperatures for mobo, CPU and GPU are well within comfort zone. Acutally, if I make the GPU temp go up (by playing an intensive game for example), the problem seems to get better, with less green pixels (but it does not entirely disappear)

My config:
    Mobo: ASROCK X58 extreme
    CPU: i7-920
    GPU : Sapphire HD5870
    Memory: Corsair 3*2Gb 1333MHz
    PSU: Corsair 850W
    HD: 2* Western Dgital Caviar green 1To
    CD-ROM : LG Blu ray reader/DVD writer
    OS: Windows 7 retail 64 bits (have also tried 32 bits, and have had same problems.

Would you happen to know how I can work around this issue? or at least tell me if you think it is driver-related or if the card is defective?

I'd be most grateful for any kind of help.

Thank you,
    sykurmoli

2. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Any overclocking on the card?

3. Swertu

Swertu New Member

GPU:
    Msi 4770
    Tell me what is temperature of you 5870?

4. sykurmoli

sykurmoli New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    @Labyrinth : no overclocking whatsoever

@Swertu : at idle (right now) it is 38°C. When playing games, goes to the high 40's, rarely low 50's. But the problem mostly happen at idle anyway.µ

@both : thanks for trying ot help

5. PhantomCracking

PhantomCracking Master Guru

GPU:
    7970 Ghz
    More than likely it's defective, RMA it.

6. sykurmoli

sykurmoli New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    Thank you for your answer. Which part do you think is defective : Bad memory ?

I'm asking because I know those hardware manufacturers can be a pain and oyu have to be very thorough in your description of your problem or they will pretend they don't understand you.

I've already contacted Sapphire support, and all they told me was that they tested a 5850 card on an Asus X58 motherboard and it worked without problem. (I have a 5870 and my mobo is Asrock, not asus). This could not be further from the actual problem but that's the answer I got.

Thank you.

7. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G
    Possibly the video ram is going bad, not sure why sapphire are saying they have tested a card in a asus board since that card isnt the one that is defective yours is

just tell them that the card is at stock and basically green pixels are everywhere and that you want to RMA it

8. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I agree with Labyrinth.

Tell them you also tried it in another computer and it did the same thing, regardless of whether you did or not. Get them to replace it :)

9. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    its your ati card trying to become a green nvidia monster

10. YuKsS

YuKsS Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    funny :)

11. Alkerion

Alkerion Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 6970 DCII
    Hi,

I've sometimes the same sort of issues, but with purple vertical dotted lines, and that only on light grey.
    It's not present most of the time, but sometimes they appears for a while.

It only happens in 2D when the card is underclocked, never seen that in 3D games.

I also can't perform a screenshot of the problem, strange.

12. Bodar

Bodar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lots of Fermi'zzzz
    I've had that problem a bunch... Mostly overclocked to 1070 with voltages at the max.. Some drivers work better then others as well.. make sure your card is seated properly in the pcie slot..If you cant do a refresh install and after updationg the mobo bios, it still does'nt work, send it back... I 've tested all my cards individually and they work great at clocks close to 1100mhz, no problem.. I only get issues with multiple gpu's enabled.. Screen sometimes goes grey or has weird lines when running an extreme bench.. otherwise gaming is golden.. rma if nothing else.. Cheers!!

13. sykurmoli

sykurmoli New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    Thanks for all your help (and funny jokes). I suppose I'll have to RMA it.

However, things are getting stranger each day. I have made additional testing with screenshots.

It now appears that most of those white pixels do not appear on screenshots. I say most of them because some do still appear (and it's not new artifacts passing as captured ones - I can zoom on them and they grow).

AmI facing a double problem here ? one from the cable and another from the LCD ?

Take care

14. Leu

Leu Member

GPU:
    ati 5870
    try change your monitor cable