Radeon 5770 Max Operating Temp

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by MISMCSA, Aug 11, 2010.

1. MISMCSA

MISMCSA Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB
    Curious if anyone knows what the max operating temp is for the Radeon 5xxx GPUs?

When I'm fully oc'd, I can operate in the mid 80's. I'm sure this is fine, but was curios if there is max documented.

Thanks

2. madne$$

madne$$ Master Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor HD5670 512mb
    Mid 80's isnt good mate.
    i would but the OC down a tad.

are you overclocking it though ATI CCC???

normal GPU should run around 50,60,70 when playing. (when OC or not)
    and Idle it should be 40 -50 or less being better

i own the 5670 Idle its 40, and OC and playnig my games its around 50 -60.

check to make sure your Powersupply meets the requirements and ensure the connectors are properly connected.

3. Vehicon

Vehicon Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 970
    I have a 5870, and on an idle im around 34. Playing BC2, or MW2 im hitting about high 50's to mid 60's. 80's seem a bit to high if you ask me.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I hit top 80s all the time with my 5770 - its fine

well over 100c is where you start seeing problems, like 115c+

5. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    80c is perfectly fine. 100 would be your absolute maximum.

6. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ive read 115c is where the artifacting will start, although the RAM chips will most likely go before the GPU hits that temp

125c being shutdown on the card

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  7. adren022

adren022 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RADEON HD 5770
    120c above is the danger point for the graphic card mine touched 106 once while running kombustor but it was at 36pc fan speed

normally its 39-43 idle and 68-77 on load
    GTA EFLC got it up till 84 at 40pc fan speed

8. kayno1993

kayno1993 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 @ 714/1537/1215
    true that, im running a oc'd gtx280 and get 29deg idle on acold boot 34 on a warm boot and max load in games is 46 and furmark burn test is @ 60deg after 1 hr

9. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    its fine.

Well, if i would have a 400€ card at 80ºC i would try to decrease them, specially bcs all games work fine even without OC. But actually at 150€ card and in fact there is no risk on 80ºC...

But beware, my 4770 was at 83ºC when playing 100% usage (atm i dont care if it breaks or not, it serves me fine, but i wouldnt mind a change and i dont have economical limitations), but after loading GPUZ i saw two "secret" sensors, mem and shaders which were going near to 100ºC @_@. Changed thermal paste and cleaned and now its at 70ºC and mem not higher than 80º-85ºC. So clean (specially if you have one of those big fans like my sapphire 4770 does, it made all the chip go dusty under it) and change thermal paste if possible xP.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  10. FrostMTG

FrostMTG Member

GPU:
    Radeon 5850 1GB
    Out of all due respect to the guys above, ignore the guys that said 80 is too high.

80 Is completely fine for a card.

11. Ph@ntom

Ph@ntom Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 5770 HAWK Twin Frozr
    My MSI 5770 Hawk does around 40C idle and 70C max load. I use Furmark with max settings. I achieved a 7C drop simply by mounting a 80mm fan that blows on the backside PCB of the card - that I took off an old AMD HSF. :D

12. MISMCSA

MISMCSA Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB
    Thanks for the replays. Based on what I heard, and the research I've done, I'm not worried about the temps I have.

During a couple hours of MW2 game play, the temp hits top out at 79c (fan around 65%). It'll get up to 85c running Kombustor, or similar stressing tool. All the information I found through searching, supported those that said there was nothig to worry about until you get into the tripple digits.

I'm glad to hear that, as I really didn't want to speed up the fan, or get an alternate cooling solution. I like quiet if possible.

13. IPlayNaked

IPlayNaked Banned

GPU:
    XFire 7950 1200/1850
    Realistically, 100C is where water is boiling. Nothing in the computer should be that hot.

But, I don't know that you're right. I'm fairly sure the soft limit is 105 and the hard limit is 110 or 115.

125 strikes me as far too high.

14. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    That's on stock or overclocked? Can you post the overclock? If it's on stock you got a problem with airflow all around.

15. Alex.NS

Alex.NS Member Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 465
    80-90c Full load is fine for the 5770 a bit hot but still fine.

16. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    No, it isn't, at least if the card is on stock.

17. Alex.NS

Alex.NS Member Guru

GPU:
    POV GTX 465
    Well thanks for pointing out the obvs since hes talking about his card overclocked.

18. Extraordinary

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

Well if I saw my card hitting the 100c+ mark, I would shut it down and try get some better cooling

But yea, thats the top limit 125c

A lot of CPUs tMax is 100c - for example my Turion X2 in my laptop, when I first put that CPU in there, and ran a few benchmarks - it was easily getting into the 90's to as far as 98c at one point and the thing was fine (Turned out my crappy thermal paste was not up to the job, and got that fixed now - 65c max now)

I dont know what the worry is really, all the newer cards / cpus, will shutdown before the heat gets to a point of damaging them anyway

19. MISMCSA

MISMCSA Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 6870 1GB
    It runs at 900/1350. Again, it hits 85c when running kombustor, with ~65-70% fan speed. This is well within range based on comments here, web research, and technical support posts from AMDs forum moderators. A similar question was posed in those forums, and AMD support reps posted there's no cause for concern, and that opearting temperatures up to 110c (sometimes greater) are completely within chip tolerances.

Additionally, I don't have amazing airflow in my mATX case, which I'm sure raises overall tempt a few degrees.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  20. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    Ah yes... well... uhm. I swear I've read the op 2 times and literally didn't catch that. Time for reading glasses for me then.

I still think it's a bit much. The overclock you have on it isn't that much at all. It's within specs and all but It's not only the GPU you need to worry about, you're heating up all components on the card. I don't know how the vrm's are cooled, but that could become a problem.

Not having amazing airflow can cost you more then a few degrees on components. Which case do you have?

Also, since Fermi hit the streets 100 c temps are acceptable again I see. Even in the Ati section.