Radeon 4870 Driver problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by .:WoLf:., Jul 22, 2008.

1. .:WoLf:.

.:WoLf:. Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    Hi there.

I have some serius problems with my graphic card.

System:
    plate: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS4
    cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300
    card: Sapphire Radeon HD4870 512MB
    Power supply: Corsair 620W
    HDD: SATA2 WESTERN DIGITAL 320GB 16MB
    Memorry: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4096MB

All components are new.

- Firstly, i instaled Windows Vista (64bit). Then i instaled motherboard drivers and then graphic drivers - which i got from CD of card.
    Everything was warking perfectly but when i restarted my PC once, i got bluescreen every time when i restart PC (i couldn't come in windows any more, exept in Save Mode).

Blue Screen:
    [​IMG]
    (it counts from 0 to 100 - very fast, then restart).

-Then i tried Windows XP - 32bit (both licenced) + motherboard drivers + graphic drivers (from CD) = almost same problem:
    [​IMG]

-Then i tried Windows XP (32bit) + motherboard drivers + graphic drivers (8.6hotfix) and it worked.

-So i installed Vista (64bit) again with hotfix and that bluescreen don't apear every time - but it still apear sometimes (let say every 3. time i restart PC).

-Then i installed Vista (64bit) + motherboard drivers + 8.7 drivers (from ATI site) - same problem..

I noticed on many forums that people have problems with that serie (4850/4870) but i'm not sure if they have 100% same problems.

Is there problem with drivers, graphic card or anything else?

2. DES_MX

DES_MX Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX480 850/4400 1.075v
    So you boot OK into the safe mode? Try booting into safe mode, uninstall all ATi related stuff, use driver cleaner, reboot, go to normal mode (see if it works). If it does now manually install the video driver only (no CCC) see if that helps.

3. .:WoLf:.

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    I can boot into the save mode (in Vista or XP).

I tried all drivers.

When one of them didn't work, I FORMATED disk and then installed new one.

4. DmZ

DmZ Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260@285 Speeds
    Is there a more recent version of your motherboard driver available from the manufacturer's website? What about a newer BIOS?

I never install anything from a CD whenever I install new hardware because it most likely is four of five months old (out of date) depending on when the hardware was manufactured.

5. Zyrocenus

Zyrocenus Master Guru

GPU:
    Saph 4890@1033\1200@1.45V
    +1 to that. Try the BIOS option for sure... this crash issue seems to be more and more linked to power saving features especially on the new P45 systems which is considered a green or energy efficient setup. This is true as long as nothin is overclocked as the same driver issue will occur if yer clocked too far up -It sounds like this is not your issue however-

In addition to the BIOS, or if you are leary about flashing in a new one as it is not without risk, you can try disabling all power saving, sleep functions in the bios and see if that helps.

Zyro

6. .:WoLf:.

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    Ok, i'll turn off those power saving options tomorrow and i'll report you.

PS: nothing is overclocked.

7. .:WoLf:.

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    I instaled Win XP (64bit) and quess what - no more blue screen on startup.

JUST BLACK!!

i'm really pised off.. 3 different OS, 3 different drivers and still doesn't working.

I started to hate ATI.

EDIT: well.. it's not totall black. If i wait little more i can see some nice graphics:
    [​IMG]

:bang::bang::bang::bang:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  8. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    Wait before you blame ATI (im not saying that this is not you ATI card ) i agree with the other gurus, go and look at the bios first. Are you sure all your hardware is 100% correctly installed?

9. .:WoLf:.

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    no, i'm 150% sure.

Every time i gor some error (startup, bluescreen) is about Ati Radeon Drivers.

10. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    well wolf then it look to me your out of luck! Do you mabe have a spare PCIE card that you can test your system with?

11. .:WoLf:.

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    No :S

If i would have it, i would already test it..

I really don't get that s***: It can be turn on 50h, i played COD2, COD4 and HL on full resolution, everything was set to maximum, AA/AF on and it was working PERFECTLY - no blue/black/green screen.

When i turn off PC and turn it ON again, i get black screen and those stripes (on startup) us u can see in capture in my previus post.
    If i restart it - it works (win XP64 + 8.7drivers).

12. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    a stupid qestion but can you test your card in a friend`s pc or mabe in another PCIE slot?

13. ReDi

ReDi Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Vista 64-bit and ATI :) I have the same issue - one time BSOD at start-up or just after Vista has loaded, the other time I can play for hours on end without issues. Having read lots of threads here it's a specific Vista issue and AMD and MS are blaming each other. Hope things will get fixed in the future, because I don't want to switch back to XP anymore...

14. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    I dont think its got somthing to do with the problem but both of you got Sapphire cards mabe its a Sapphire problem?

15. .:WoLf:.

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    Again:
    i tried Win XP32
    Win XP64 (testing right now)
    Win Vista64

8.6 Driver (from CD)
    8.7 Beta
    8.7 + fix

Every time was some problem. You can see bluescreens from XP32 and Vista 64 in first post and black screen from XP64.
    I tried all 3 drivers in all version of windows.

16. ReDi

ReDi Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Considering the number of posts with people reporting similar stability problems with all different brands of cards, I'd say it's a general Vista/48x0 driver issue.
    Luckily crash recovery/reboot is very quick on my PC so I'm not too bothered with it since it's a general problem and there's no permanent damage done (yet ;)), but I sure hope it gets solved soon.

17. ReDi

ReDi Member Guru

GPU:
    2x Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Seeing that you also have problems on XP (missed that the first time reading the thread), do you use the fan speed fix to cool the 4870 better?

18. .:WoLf:.

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon HD4870
    I don't use any fan speed fix. Card has about 55-60 degrees in standby and about 70-80 degrees if i play COD4 about 2h (i know it hears stupid, but i don't know how to tell you in English).

This problem appears just when i start PC, when i'm in OS once (in ANY version of windows) it works PERFECTLY: no black or bluescreens, it don't freeze..

19. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Update the BIOS on your Gigabyte board, I've read now where more then a few people are having problems with their Gigabyte board and the new ATI cards (its happening on the newer Nvidia cards also). Some are saying running your system RAM in single channel mode fixes the problem, others are saying flashing to latest BIOS for motherboard fixes the problem. It seems the problem is more with Gigabyte motherboards then it is the video card.

20. RIP_Greave

RIP_Greave Member Guru

GPU:
    7970m
    I wish i could help you but i have never incounter such a problem! what about a bios udate on the 3d card (if there is one)? It sounds like a misscomunication between the OS start up script and the ATI card.........stabing in the dark!