r9 380 sapphire nitro + fan start and stopping

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by jay781, Mar 4, 2019.

1. jay781

jay781 Member

GPU:
    Asus r7 250 1GB
    hi guys i bought a sapphire r9 380 4gb nitro+ i notice the fan powers up when im playing a game and in idle somtimes its starts and stop is this normal for this graphic card as im worried about the graphic card messing up.

2. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    Some cards don't need fans when you're not gaming. No idea if you have such a card.
    You can look in you drivers under "Global Wattman" and see what the driver is trying to do. If it says "Fan: 0 RPM" then no worries, but if it says "Fan: 1200 RPM" and the fans aren't spinning then that is a problem.
    On my old 380X, the fans could spin freely, they just didn't work at low RPM's. I was able to work around it for a while by manually setting the RPM's high enough that the fans would start to spin. XFX replaced my fans. If you're out of warranty and the fans are bad, then you can remove the shroud and zip-tie a 120mm on or something.

3. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti
    I have the exact same card and my fans don't spin at idle, they fire up when needed :)

4. jay781

jay781 Member

GPU:
    Asus r7 250 1GB
    hi thanks i played resident evil 2 remake and temps are in the 70c reaching close to 79c sometimes range and in idle its in 50c idle is this to worry about?.

5. Grim_2o0o

Grim_2o0o Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 Nitro +
    I have a Sapphire Nitro+ 570 and the fans only spin under heavy load, the rest of the time they're doing nothing. I haven't had temps go over 50 degrees yet as have load of ventilation so I'm not sure what temp they do kick in at. I looked on Sapphires page and they don't mention what temps they kick in at.

6. jay781

jay781 Member

GPU:
    Asus r7 250 1GB
    hi checked in global wattman fan showing 423rpm fan not moving at time then suddenly both fan start and stop temprature is 51c

7. jay781

jay781 Member

GPU:
    Asus r7 250 1GB
    just checked again and fans not moving 5 mins and showing fan is at 437rpm when fan aint moving

8. big ROBOT bill

big ROBOT bill Maha Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1660Ti
    You can set your fan speeds to your taste in wattman
    Here's how mine is set
    [​IMG]

9. patteSatan

patteSatan Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390
    I just got the bigger brother of your card, the r9 390 8Gb /w backplate cheap from a friend, I had problems with it at first, but when I stopped messing around with settings for both fans and other stuff, it is very solid, I am more concerned with my cpu-fan doing what your 380 fans are. :)

And a small tip: if you had another gfxcard in your computer before the 380, do a clearcmos on the motherboard.
    It helped me, who changed from the asus 380 oc 4GB card to the one I have now.

10. jay781

jay781 Member

GPU:
    Asus r7 250 1GB
    hi i did clear cmos didnt really i also realised that when i use msi afterbuner or sapphire trix to put fan in manual mode it shows fan speed at 20% and it doesnt spin untill fan speed are set to 30%

11. Grim_2o0o

Grim_2o0o Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 570 Nitro +
    Sounds like glitchy fans if they're reporting 20% and not spinning. Sapphire have replacement fans for the Nitro series which are easy to replace, or just use Afterburner or Wattman to set custom fan curves. I'd keep an eye on it for a bit though.

12. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    Wattman is just bad at picking up current fanspeeds (it's delayed). Have the same fan behaviour on my Fury. It's the "0RPM technology". When temps are low enough, the fans will idle to 0rpm. On my card, fans kick into life at about ~60°c (might be lower can't remember).

You have nothing to worry about.

13. Only Intruder

Only Intruder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury Nitro
    GCN 1.2 and below don't have the advanced wattman features that Polaris and Vega do i.e. the advanced fan control - it's done via powerplay tables stored in the vbios annoyingly.

14. jay781

jay781 Member

GPU:
    Asus r7 250 1GB
    thanks for reply guys im just worried that even when using sapphire trix its show 20% and fans dont spin at all only till its set to 30% fan will spin is this ok?.

15. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Delete sapphire trixx.

Use ddu in safe mode , install 19.3.1..and go have some fun gaming.

The fans dont spin at idle. 70-80c is completely fine.

16. jay781

jay781 Member

GPU:
    Asus r7 250 1GB
    Thanks guys everyone for the replies and help. I was really worried about my graphic card but everyones advice helped. thanks to everyone for the help im noob when it comes to pcs lol.