R9 290x Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nickrorschach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    That's why I haven't RMA'd mine yet, because the store first needs to find the error, what if it doesn't happen while they're testing it?

They would charge me the shipping and ship back the same card... :bang:

2. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i cancelled 290 in the end. gonna save up a bit more for a 780ti/Maxwell.

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    set fan to 100% in amd cp, removed sound card and drivers(my sound card has its own 4pin molex which im going to change before putting back in), set pcix to gen3 in bios, ram is still in single channel.

I don't think I've disabled ULPS I had a reg file but dunno if I used it as it was late and my brain was stressy I'll check later though. I'm sure I have changed other stuff I'll try go though it all at some point.

4. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    My sound card is internal to the MB, i use optical out to some production equipment and my studio monitors and I can only run at PCI-E 2.0, so i guess i'm stuffed.

I can try then fan locked at 100%, but i doubt it will make any difference, my card is fairly cool (for what they are rated at). Could also try the RAM, but again i feel we are clutching at straws here.

Thank you, though.

5. Euda

Euda Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Exactly those fixed 100% fan speed is actually the solution.
    Got exactly the same Problem with an XFX R9 290X cooler by an Arctic Accelero Hybrid.
    Both GPU and VRM-Sensors show low temps <80° C if I fix the fan speed at 100% but under heavy game load (for example BF4 @ Ultra & 200% Res.-scale), I get those annoying Blackscreen-Hardcrashes and have to cold-reboot my rig. Fixing the fan speed at 100% dies completely solve the problem -> no crashes at all.
    Usually, that indicates an overheating of a component but I even get no issues @ 1200/6000 MHz @ 1.4v @ 100% fan speed albeit the temps at those settings (both VRM & GPU) go higher than with 25% fan speed @ Stock clock-rates.

I think such crashes result from a failure of an internal overheating-protection which is influenced by the raw fan-speed 'as is'. Furthermore I don't think it's caused by an actual overheating 'cause of these masses who got those issues including me with my string aftermarket cooling solution.

Several driver, OS and clock configurations/versions (win8.1, win7 & win8, catalyst 13.11 beta 5, 9.2 and the New unofficial 13.11 WHQL) didn't took any influence to the random hard resets in games like Dirt, Grid & BF. The only thing that absolutely solved it was the fan-RPM-fixing.

Hope for us that the crashes will be fixed soon and that it's not a hardware-related conflict.

Greets from Germany and sorry for bad English,
    Euda :)

6. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Great English - and thanks for contributing :)

I will try this then and report back - do I use Afterburner to do this?

If the fan profiles are the problem, do you think it's possible AMD to fix it in a driver so we dont have use 3rd party software in the future?

7. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Also, did you see the people under water @ < 40° who have the same problem? I wonder what the fix will be for them :)

8. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    No 3rd party app here. Just set it in amd ccc overdriver, enable it and set max fan to 100%

Hope it helps, I'm close to 24hours now no crashs just ran loops of 3dmark firelink extreme setting while I went out, came back and it was still running :)

9. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    Yeah, mine is under water and never exceeds 45-52ºC while the VRM's never exceed 55-60ºC.

10. ToorboCharge

ToorboCharge Member

GPU:
    x2 Sapphire r9 290x
    so got an email today from Althon Micro. My RMA replacement is scheduled to ship out tomorrow. They didnt state much within the email except that im receiving a replacement so im guessing its a faulty card.

11. Euda

Euda Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Thank you for the answers :)

Just created a GPU-Z-Log @ 80% Fan-RPM-fixed playing GRID 2 @ 8xSSAA maxed FHD. After that, I reproduced the blackscreen by fixing the RPM to 25% via Afterburner:

http://www.mediafire.com/?by06lb5tpnxjy4f

So, nothing special with the values. :3eyes:

12. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I am guessing too now: you get exactly same issue with replacement.
    Shops quite often give up and replace non-defective hardware instead of sending customer to hell, because such customer would not shop there again.

If some users are capable to fix it by changing some of environment settings then it's bad compatibility of BIOS (which is quite often btw.) or drivers, or vBIOS.

13. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    So, to clarify.

@ 80% fan you get no black screen
    @ 25% fan you get a black screen

?

14. Euda

Euda Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Exactly

15. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Sounds like you've solved your issue mate, fingers crossed it'll behave from now on.

16. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Absolute madness. I will try it this evening.

17. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    What about mine which is on water, should I fake it and tell CCC/AB that it's running at 100%?

18. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Close to 2 days now with no crashes, ran heaven bench overnight too all was good, if you have any other intense gpu benches please do tell :)

I would yes, I think this is a censor bug that's shutting down the cards not a heat problem.

19. nickrorschach

nickrorschach Member

GPU:
    AMD R9 290x 4GB
    Would people with and without the issue mind posting BIOS versions (and stating if you have the problem)?

20. Euda

Euda Member

GPU:
    R9 290X
    Does anyone know how to 'fake' those fanspeed-values?

@nikrorschach:
    I flashed several BIOS' to the card but for me, the issue seems not to be in dependence of the BIOS-SW installed. :/