R9 290x Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nickrorschach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Banned

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    Ive had for last 5 years a AMD card in my rig(5870-6970-7970 and now 290x) and never had any problems.

First days i got problems with my 290x but i just changed back to 13.12 and all ok.

Sticking a 290x on 1st or second gen mother board maybe also reason why some have troubles?

Got myself a ivy bridge and works fine.

I remember btw many times seeing nvidia guys complaining about drivers and there troubles running games so what your saying is BS about AMD.

AMD cards are awesome for nice price(not way overpriced) nuff said.

2. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    The v-sync issue doesn't happen on V9.2, the blackscreen crashing does though.
    I'm still hoping the blackscreen crashes are solveable with a driver, but it should happen very quickly as my patience is come to an end now.

3. ericlecarde

ericlecarde New Member

GPU:
    XFX R9 290
    I Increased the VCCSA (System Agent Voltage) to 1.1V in the System BIOS.

This made a big difference for me, so far I havent had black screen freeze in 24 hours. Before this I could not play at all. I have an Asrock Z77 Extreme3 with the P1.50 bios with all default settings.

4. user290asus

user290asus New Member

GPU:
    r9 290
    problem

hi!!
    how to please update the vbios of my r9290 asus update is avaible in site asus

5. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    is it newer than the one you already have?
    I checked that bios , and it looks like a older one.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yeah, VCCSA is a part of cpu memory and pcie communications, it gets very sensitive especially by OC and or ram OC.
    Maybe this new gpu puts more pressure and mobo didnt set it right or it just needed tweaking..

I saw it by me when I oc'ed ram to 2400mhz with 4.7ghz.. 0.050+ fixed it, while before 0.030 - 0.040 wasnt fully stable, it was fine in cpu intense apps, but in cpu+gpu intense games it could fail.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2014
  7. user290asus

user290asus New Member

GPU:
    r9 290
    bios update for R9290-4GD5
    Supports UEFI secure boot function
    Taille du fichier 1,18 MBytesMise à jour 2014.02.18
    my vbios is origin, what procedid insallation please!!

8. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Flashing guide here :- http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18552408

Im over a month rock solid now :cool:

9. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    The problem is ,that bios is older than the one that comes with the card.

10. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    So ,did everyone solve the "black screen" problem?

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well my probs solved so far (touches wood :p), over 5 weeks without a single blackscreen/BSOD now.

12. likeabass

likeabass New Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon r9 290
    I've been lurking in this thread for a long time. I've also had black screen freeze problems with my radeon 290.. not the 290x.

It's been incredibly difficult to find out what is causing it. Speaking to customer support was little help. First he suggested it was the psu, then a ram issue, then asked to rma the card.

I did not believe it is a psu issue since the card would sometimes (weirdly after reinstalling drivers) work perfectly. For a while I could have it run fine whenever I reinstalled the drivers... which may have been a strange coincidence.

So with the card running perfectly sometimes.. I just couldnt believe it was the psu.. because if it was it would just not run or at least give me problems while gaming.

The thing is that when it did run properly there would never be a black screen. But after a day or 2 I would boot up and suddenly it wouldn't work at all.. Low fps and freeze in less than 20 seconds.

It seems to me very much like a software issue and I am very annoyed at customer support seeming to have no clue what is causing this and having the audacity of suggesting it is my psu, moba or ram.

I was on the verge of buying a new mobo or rma'ing the card (only to have them send it back to me saying it wasn't broken) but none of that felt right to me. But I was getting desperate.

Anyway the reason I am finally posting is because ever since I installed the 14.2 beta drivers there are no more black screens. (we'll see how long it lasts)

I am happy that it's working but at the same time very angry for the customer support to waste peoples time.

Please let me know if the 14.2 patch fixed it for any of you guys.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    ^ Good to hear :)

Ive just averted a major disaster, full pot of tea all over my desk and my comp! :eek:

Ive never moved so fast in my life, a quick shutdown and comp slid out the way, all with tea pouring off the desk and soaking into the carpet, as well as running all over the top of my desk soaking my keyboard, mouse, discs the lot.

Luckily, it just missed going through the grill on the top of my case, just got a couple of spots on, but ran down the side of it :p

Spent about 2hrs with a hairdryer on the carpet while drying the top of the desk, and everything that was on it :D

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  14. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    i tried the latest beta. Played Far Cry 3 for 45 mins. No Black screen , could be luck tough. I had to revert back to the latest stable cause beta renders the scenes, specially water effect wrong.

15. les-c

les-c New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 DCU ii
    what happened here ? did the new drivers fix the black screen ? tempted to get a 290x but might get instead 780Ti

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Its fixed for some on later drivers, theres still some people getting them as far as i know though.

17. les-c

les-c New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 DCU ii
    still hit and miss. how are you doing on your 290x ?

18. les-c

les-c New Member

GPU:
    Asus GTX 780 DCU ii
    just back read. looks like you're ok with your 290x now. flip a coin.. flip a coin..

19. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Yeah mines running great, no problems at all now. :)

20. MTSeldon

MTSeldon Member

GPU:
    Asus R 290 / 4Gb
    Go for the 780Ti. Too much problems with R290 series.