R9 290x Black Screen Crash

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nickrorschach, Nov 4, 2013.

1. gunrunner

gunrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    Did everyone give up on buying the R9 290/x or something? I haven't seen any updates on this thread when in many other sites people are still complaining about black screens.

Hasn't been any announcements from AMD since a few driver updates ago saying it may fix black screen issues, which it seems it hasn't. I'm hoping they resolve this so there is still competition in the graphics market.

But I don't care enough to give my tax dollars to bail out AMD.

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    I notice some video bioses I tried black screen, some don't so not just driver issue but also video bios issue too :)

It's none issue for me only get it when going crazy

she's been mining flat out 24/7 since got her an not single hiccup :banana:

3. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I haven't had an issue with my 290 CrossfireX at all, very pleased with them, plus they're watercooled.

Although I first had to go through two RMA's of an 290X.

4. gunrunner

gunrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    That's good to hear, I had issues with my first two 290's so I gave up. Good for you guys with more patience

5. user290asus

user290asus New Member

GPU:
    r9 290
    moi j'ai juste stopper de jouer a battlefield cool non?Toujours pas de nouveau driver mantle, j'attend, problème aléatoire ou constant ça me fais chittttttttttttt

6. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    I can allmost eliminate my blackscreens by setting the energy levels to 150%. It had a clear relation with that.

Strange thing is, I withness a perf. fluctuation in certain games. About every 6 à 7 seconds the perf drops a few seconds :3eyes:

7. Evildead666

Evildead666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    I haven't had any blackscreens since upping the voltage a bit to +100 in the Sapphire Trixxx Utility.
    Its also watercooled, 41-42°C Load (Furmark).

@User290asus
    What did you do to undervolt ? or did you just lower the clocks ?
    I'd recommend setting the fan to about 60% or more. Its what I would do if i'd stayed on the ref design.

Si tu ne comprends pas je peux te repondre en francais, mais c'est un forum anglais uniquement je crois.

Edit : I don't play Battlefield, so I can't tell you if some of the blackscreens people are having are related to that or not.
    But, Skyrim, Oblivion, Metro Last Light, Bioshock Infinite, all work fine, full everything, no blackscreens, the last WHQL driver.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  8. suksuk

suksuk New Member

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 290x
    How / where do you set the energy levels? I just got an MSI 290x and it's not stable when I try to go to ~1400 memory speed.

Any other tips to get a higher memory speed, is there a way to increase mem voltage?

9. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well bit the bullet, got the MSI Gaming 290x coming tomorrow, so i'll let you know how it goes. :)

10. youngspawn98

youngspawn98 Member

GPU:
    R9280X-DC2-3GD5
    Water cooling or Asus DirectCU-II system make it pretty cool and quiet :) I have Asus DirectCU-II fan system, and i can´t even hear it. And iam running custom fan system with Asus GPU tweak. :)

11. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Card turned up today, ran a few benches to see how she goes, and so far so good, no black screens or any other anomolies, but will obviously keep an eye on her, so still @ her default clocks of 1030/1250 for now.:)

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Well just had a black screen :(

Was doing nothing, just finished an update to TF2, then screen went black, then BSOD appeared, said something about dumping something to disc with a countdown timer, then it just restarted, gave me the start windows normally or whatever job, then when windows loaded, got an unexpected shutdown box in the middle, do you want to check online for solution job, which i just cancelled.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Don't think it was related to my 290, not had anything since, 290's running superb! :D

14. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1070 Amp
    you have two?

15. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I also had one of those shutdowns, was very weird... Few days ago, not again.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Oops, missed out The :p :D

Its an odd one, but hopefully no more :)

17. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    For example, I was leaving for dinner, installed some Windows updates, clicked reboot and turned off the monitor.

When I came back I had to reset the computer because the screen would appear as black. :p

Weird issues on R9 cards that we'll probably never figure, luckily doesn't happen often.

18. Skinner

Skinner Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti Sli
    Yeah, I thought I was get rid of them by upping the energy level to 150% and about a week no black screens came along and this evening it allmost blackscreens on everything :cry:

19. palak

palak Member

GPU:
    Xfx 290x
    Well for me now this is getting infuriating. Last few weeks I've had one every so often, typically. Started playing assassins creed for 7 horus no problem, come back to the game after dinner and I can only play for 1 minute before a black screen happens.

EDIT: Did a complete driver wipe and installed 13.12, made it an hour without a black screen. Hopefully it holds up tonight.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  20. palak

palak Member

GPU:
    Xfx 290x
    This was posted in another forum. XFX won't accept RMA's for this issue, they say the problem has to do with power supplies.

"The "Black Screen" issue everyone is talking about was rejected as a 'known" issue. We brought all the cards in (that we could) and tested them, none of them had any bizarre black screen issues. It turned out those cases were weak power supplies trying to provide maximum wattage on over used rails. Long story short... the 290x will max out a normal 12v 150W and 75W rail with ease under full load. This was the cause of the issue, not the card itself."

I had been having constant black screen issues. Switched up video cards to each use 2 PCI-E cables instead of just one w/ a dual head. So far no more black screens.