R9 290 Benchmark, Screen Shots, Pictures, Gelid Icy Ver2 Cooler How To

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by gunrunner, Dec 5, 2013.

1. gunrunner

gunrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    Hello everyone I figure I would share my knowledge that I've gained along the way. This will help you enjoy the true awesomeness of 290 or the 290x graphics card without breaking the bank.

Here is my old Asus 290x naked, I took off the stock cooler and cleaned up vrm, gpu and memory chips with 92% alcohol.

[​IMG]

Here is with all the heatsinks provided with the Gelid cooler, the bottom I left blank for now ill explain in a moment. The upper left of card where you see the 2 skinny heatsinks, there are 3 vrm modules up there. This is the default method with supplied heatsinks. Putting all the provided thermal tape on all the heatsinks took a solid 2-3hrs. This is the hardest part, take your time and don't sweat over everything hah.

[​IMG]

The bottom memory chip still isn't heatsinked because the copper GPU block covers part of it. So after I used Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra thermal paste (careful its conductive) on the GPU chip. I installed the actually cooler. Then put on the memory heatsink which could cover 2/3 of the memory chip, good enough for me without hacking away! When you install the risers on the cooler block make sure you select the correct holes so the distance matches up. There is a "pair" of holes together, use the farthest one out.

[​IMG]

So I plugged the fan cable into the 290x board and installed the card in my computer and one fan wasn't working! It finally kicked in and has been working without issue since, strange.

[​IMG]

The upper left pair of vrms would hit 93-94c on a 1.4v 1180mhz overclock, The overclocked 290 only hits 66c on the vrm at 1.35vcore and 58c max gpu temp. *update* been running unigine valley for 35 min on ultra at 2560x1600 windowed and gpu hit 63c and vrm hit 88c. VRM are rated up to 125/135c*

So I bought this chunker from
    http://www.frozencpu.com/products/18194/vid-205/Heatsink_MOSFET_Chipsink_-_17mm_x_17mm_x_9mm_-_Anodized_Green.html?id=cBQWPayZ&mv_pc=369

And bought this adhesive tape for the green heatsink only. I put a few folded layers over VRM's so they would be flush with the other random chips. Then cut out a square piece that fit on the heatsink and pressed it on the board.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7228/thr-43/Akasa_Thermal_Adhesive_Tape_-_80_x_80_mm_Square_AK-TT12-80.html?id=cBQWPayZ&mv_pc=157

[​IMG]

This is the Gelid, note it has the flat bottom, the diamond shaped one is for other cards

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11422/vid-148/Gelid_Icy_Vision_Five_Heatpipe_Universal_VGA_Cooler_Rev_2_Up_to_R9_290X_Series_GTX_780_Series.html?id=cBQWPayZ&mv_pc=491

Lastly here is a screen shot of all the hardware monitors and firestrike graphics score (don't care about overall score that includes CPU tests)

This test is on my just aquired XFX R9 290 non unlockable :( @1160 mhz this scores 12,200 while my 290x scored 12,430 running 1150. But it cost $150 more, I'm not an extreme overclocker so I'm happy! The 290 stays cooler as well and I can xfire with a 850 bronze psu. The power usage was max 201 watts with the 290 and 230 watts on 290x. I don't have my 290x anymore, I'm using my new xfx 290.

[​IMG]

If you have any questions or comments or want to share anything please let me know! The R9 290 is a beast of a card for $400 - $60(BF4) = $340. Who cares about the stupid Nvidia games and Shield coupon?? lol. Nothing against Nvidia. Enjoy guys

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    It is unclear to me, what was the T*C delta before and after that green heatsink you added?

3. gunrunner

gunrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    The green heatsink didn't change much, maybe bought it down from 96c max to 88c max. I was thinking about getting the copper ones but a pack is expensive.

4. wittzi

wittzi New Member

GPU:
    XFX 295X2 Hydra Edition
    That's great gunrunner, thanks!

I have a question if you don't mind please. How much quieter is the Gelid above the stock fan please (if at all)? That's one of the main reasons I want to make the switch.

5. gunrunner

gunrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    It is very quiet compared to the stock cooler. It has a very low hum, while the stock cooler even at like 40% sounds like a blowdryer.

6. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Do not waste your money on the Gelid cooler, nothing on it fits right when used on a 290/x, inadequate VRM cooling, one RAM heatsink does not line up properly; if it was just for the GPU cooler itself yes it works very good, the rest of the kit is a waste.

With the stock cooler make a custom fan profile in AB, mine runs 30% fan at 40c, very quiet.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  7. wittzi

wittzi New Member

GPU:
    XFX 295X2 Hydra Edition
    Thanks for the quick response. Much appreciated!

That's really useful to know. I guess my final question is about that bottom memory chip. You fitted the heatsink after placing the cover on due to the problems fitting it.

I saw on YouTube so guys used a dremel to shave the heatsink down a little so that it fully fitted. Do you think that it's necessary based on your usage over the last couple of weeks?

In other words, do you think that 2/3 coverage is still ok? I'd rather not be hacking heatsinks with dremels! :)

8. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    good work gunrunner, it remembers me on my old 5870's with Zalmann coolers on it :). Is the GPU fan @ 4k real value? How and where did you connect the fans?

9. gunrunner

gunrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    I didn't have any power tools. All the ram heatsinks I applied vertically. Except the very bottom one you speak of I put the fins horizontal and snugged it right up against the metal frame of the heat sink after I screwed it on. There is no temp gauge on the ram but it seemed to work fine.

"good work gunrunner, it remembers me on my old 5870's with Zalmann coolers on it . Is the GPU fan @ 4k real value? How and where did you connect the fans?"

I connected the fan to the fan pins that the default cooler used.

"Do not waste your money on the Gelid cooler, nothing on it fits right when used on a 290/x, inadequate VRM cooling, one RAM heatsink does not line up properly; if it was just for the GPU cooler itself yes it works very good, the rest of the kit is a waste.

With the stock cooler make a custom fan profile in AB, mine runs 30% fan at 40c, very quiet."

I would spend your money if you want to keep core temps low and not have a hair dryer in your system if you have a reference board/cooler. My stock r9 290x with gelid would only reach 53c max while gaming. 62c max while 100% usage benchmarking. And VRM chips got around 60-64c. The VRM row to the right of the gpu can heat up if you do overclock it and bump the voltage to max. Like a +100mv and 1,150mhz core it could reach low 80c while core never went above 62c. The upper left 3 VRM were the ones that never use to heat up, I got them confused as which one hwinfo64 was reading for temps. They always remained lower than 60c.

So it might be helpful for copper vsinks on the right longer row of VRM, taking into consideration clearance.

The aluminum heatsinks that come with the gelid and other aftermarket vga coolers are definitely not as good as copper.

Was a fun little project.

TLDR if you have stock cooler, want to do some simple tinkering, want less sound and better vcore temps, but have slight gpu hang due to weight of cooler, go for it. I like it better than stock.

If you havent purchased a r9 290/x yet, probably better off getting a card with a non reference cooler already as it will save you effort. And there is no way gaming you have 40c at 30% fanspeed, you might have it set for 30% at 40c, but it goes waaaaayyyyy past that I bet and gets loud!

10. wittzi

wittzi New Member

GPU:
    XFX 295X2 Hydra Edition
    Hell yeah!

Using AB I set the fan to keep the card at 64 dgrees whilst OC'ing it it slightly @ 1003Mhz on BF4. Forget the planes in the game - my rig sounded like an F22 Raptor due to the noise coming out of the fan!

I like the idea of this project and whilst I can still send my card back (today is the 14th day of my cool-off period) I'm not sure how long it will take the custom-cooled ones to appear and I claimed my copy of BF4 so they would deduct $60 too. I think I'll have a go with the Gelid Icy R.2 when I have some spare time (I've bought it now anyway) and let you know if I am successful or if I had a disaster! Hopefully with your great guide I will be fine gunrunner. :cyclone:

Really great to see everyone's comments, so of course if anyone else has attempted this or has some feedback I would still be very interested to hear what you have said.

11. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    I installed my gelid as well. Works great, vrm1 is a little warm, but its tollerable, OCed core t0 1105, +40% power, +38mv - 80c core, 85c vrm1, 65c vrm2.

pro tip: save yourself some aggravation and use the thermal pads from the stock assembly on the mem chips.. they are plenty sticky. Also ziptie the VRM1 heat-sink strip to the screw holes instead of using individual sinks.

12. gunrunner

gunrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    In my opinion the stock pads are thermal pads only. Not adhesive thermal pads. So not sure if you want to risk this for 16 mem chips hanging upside down.

You could try I guess to use the 7990 VRM heatsink strip, I believe they provide you a thick thermal pad strip which probably would be better than the thin adhesive strips for the row of VRM to the right of the chip. As long as you use zipties to hold it snug.

13. The Mac

The Mac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    i am using them and have had no problem with drops.

they are plenty sticky, and the surface area helps them stick through surface tension..

The problem with the tape is you have to get all the oil off the chips from the pads or they wont stick. A pencil eraser will help, but there is still a chance of drops if you dont get it al as both the gelid and the Acellero are notorious for.

The best solution of course would be non-conductive paste and some kind of retention mechanism using the screw holes from the stock assembly, but that would make it a niche product and you couldn't make a profit.

i ordered one of these to see if i can drill a hole or two and make it fit. Should bring the temps on the vrm1 down a few degrees.: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GELID-Icy-V...US_Video_Card_GPU_Cooling&hash=item257d3d1ab8

14. andressergio

andressergio Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 1080Ti HOF SLI
    Hi there great work, so you didnt protect the components near the GPU ??? like i do on the delids ? you just applied the liquid ultra and thats it ?

I was thinking of using same method but protecting then components use the nail polish same method for deliding 4770K's...

Thanks !!!
    Sergio