R9 285 issues with DVI-D

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Truder, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    In all honesty I don't know if this is a driver problem or hardware problem but I'm inclined to think that the problem I have is driver related as the issue occurs once windows loads/driver initialises.

Anyway, in another thread I made, I was discussing VSR wishing to use super high resolutions to downsample to 1680x1050, now the problem is that for some reason, it would downsample to 1920x1080, this is a result of using HDMI and the monitor reporting a higher resolution than it's native.

I've been using HDMI with no issues at all however I've occasionally had a problem with VSR in that it will output to my monitor's maximum reported resolution of 1920x1080 rather than it's native of 1680x1050.

To get around this I decided to use my DVI-D cable as my monitor will only report a max resolution of it's native res when using DVI, I had no problems using this with my previous graphics card, Radeon 6850.

As I replaced the cable from HDMI to DVI, turned on, everything seemed fine, boot logo showing, windows logo showing, but as windows loads/driver initialises I get a black screen, I try the other DVI port, monitor powers up briefly as it detects being plugged in but again, no signal, blackscreen/standby.

I thought this might have been a driver issue so, I booted into safemode, everything fine, cleaned out existing drivers and obtained latest drivers 15.6, restart, install drivers, reboot and again, black screen so for now I've switched back to HDMI.

For reference here are my PC specs:-

Intel i5 4690K
    16GB DDR3 HyperX Savage
    Gigabyte Z97P-D3
    Sapphire Dual-X OC R9-285
    Windows 7 64bit (Now Windows 10 haven't actually tried it with Windows 10 so I'll have a go with it later, not expecting it to work)

Motherboard is operating in UEFI mode as well as the graphics card (switch is set to UEFI).

Ok here's an update:-

I've tested another monitor (BenQ GW2250) over DVI with both a Dual Link and Single Link cable and there is no problem, it uses DVI fine and I've tested another computer with my monitor (running a 6850) and it loads fine and displays properly over DVI.

I've also tested trying to run both monitors from either DVI port, my monitor just will not be detected (mine is a Samsung T220HD).

All I can figure out is that once the driver is installed, it just does not like my monitor. :/

Another update:-

I've recently purchased another monitor so that's why this issue hasn't been much of a priority however I'm still looking to solve this problem.

I've tried installing the monitor profile from Samsung which can be found here http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/LS22TD... but this hasn't solved the problem, the graphics card driver still refuses to detect the monitor.

Other monitors work fine over DVI, I'm now currently using an Iiyama GE2488HS over DVI and it's working flawlessly yet this Samsung T220HD just doesn't want to co-operate.

I also tried insalling the EDID profile into the registry but this didn't work either.

I'd really appreciate some help, if I didn't have another monitor and only had a DVI cable, this would be a major issue.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  2. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Shameless *bump* (don't like bumping but you know it's been so long)

3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I guess I'll try one more bump, I take it this is a really rare problem then?

Anyone at least have any ideas then?

4. MatrixNetrunner

MatrixNetrunner Member Guru

GPU:
    Powercolor PCS+ R9 270X
    On the Digital Panel settings screen that contains the VSR setting there are some additional options for DVI connections:
    - Reduce frequency...
    - Alternate DVI mode... (this one is enabled by default for me)

I tried these options to see if they made any difference for VSR, but there was no difference in my case.

Try hooking up both monitors over DVI, and then opening the Catalyst Control Center and playing with these options (turn off 'Alternate DVI mode' if it's enabled).

5. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Was one of the first things I tried to do but didn't work, my 285 when the driver is enabled just wont detect the Samsung monitor at all when using DVI-D.

Played around with the settings, tried to force detect, nothing.

Thought it was the EDID that was corrupt so tested the edid on the samsung with a different gpu and that read fine (was able to use the monitor fine with other cards).

The VSR problem was solved btw and the Samsung monitor is fine with hdmi, I just want to solve why the 285 wont work with the samsung monitor once drivers start. (Standard vga driver/vesa mode works).