R9 280X runs horribly bad

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xrider, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    after having a GTX 670 and testing a 760 i'd say make sure its a clean install and download the latest beta on this site. I just installed an MSI 280x 2 days ago and its a beast in everything I have played (I am using a 120hz benq also) It's always a possibility the card was a lemon but that is a very rare thing.

2. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Not as rare as you'd think. I received a lemon XFX 7850 that had a faulty cooler. Temps got over 90c while idle and 114C+ under load. I RMA'd it and changed up for a 7870. These things are partially assembled by humans, just like most else and are prone to error. Btw, OP has already troubleshooted his card to the max and has returned attempting an exchange of some sort.

3. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    ...Dang :3eyes:

That explains a whole lot. Best wishes.

4. Arend.C

Arend.C Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Could'nt it be that the mobo just needs a BIOS update for better compatibility for newer hardware?

(If he does not have the latest version that is)

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I thought this debate would have been finished already.

The OP uploaded a screenshot of his CPU showing 60-80% on 6 cores while the other 2 had 0% and 100% load. That's a bottleneck alright, but why is it there 100/0 use on those 2 cores?

Rather strange...almost like scheduling wasn't working right....?

Personally I would use process explorer to see what's going on with those cores, possibly disabling HT or Core Parking could help too....as well as overclocking.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  6. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    Lol.. awesome country. The people are the same all over the world. Please scam.. just called a place in Alabama USA where I had to 4 times say why I didnt want it any more. At the end it was.. are you sure? HAHA

7. Schizoid

Schizoid Member

GPU:
    ASUS HD7970 DirectCU II
    I just upgraded from GTX560Ti in SLi to a HD7970 and the improvement over a Dual card setup is noticeable so must be a problem with your setup if your old Single card GPU is running faster.

8. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus HD6950 2GB
  9. Maye

Maye Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 GxTrio
    What brand is your 280x?
    I thought 3dmark would have a better usage of 6/8core CPUs,cuz i scored 7000+ on Firestrike with mine.

10. DSparil

DSparil Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ROG StriX RX480, 8GB
    Guys, he has already returned the card and is getting a replacement of some sort lol. Let's wait to hear back on his new results when its all said and done

11. tonyt3rry

tonyt3rry New Member

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 280x
    I have the windforce 280x and it does run horrible runs fine in game then 5-10mins later BAM! DX device hung. And the voltage is locked so you can't do jack to fix it

12. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Could be your PSU.

13. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Or underclock your core by -10 or -20 mhz and see if that does anything.. Should work. Unless it's your psu which I don't think it is.. but still a possibility. Anyways you should look into reducing core clock a bit.. Try -20 mhz in msi ab, should definitely work.. if not try -30.. this issue gets resolved until you hit a good core clock as it's unstable as you can see getting those dx error messages in bf4. I got the same when my oc was unstable. So decrease it a bit and see what happens. Should work.

14. jonsevc

jonsevc New Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 280X OC
    Yea something is wrong. I can't tell you the FPS's, but I can only notice some lag when playing assassins creed 4 with everything on ultra 1600x900...

15. closest.num.2.0

closest.num.2.0 New Member

GPU:
    16gb 1866mhz corsair mem
    Your card is in 2d mode fix the issue by putting it into 3d mode using msi afterburner

16. Gudatu

Gudatu New Member

GPU:
    XFX HD 6870
    I wonder how is the new card?
    I have the same psu as you, and it's not a quality psu. 700W peak power without 80+ certificate, I also think psu may cause this