R9 280X runs horribly bad

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Xrider, Oct 23, 2013.

1. tyRant.594

tyRant.594 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 280x
    I really am loving mine!

2. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah go over to the 3dmark11 and 3dmark13 topic and post your scores. We'll see how they compare.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Core #1 is maxed out....

4. Xrider

Xrider Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    and core 8 is barely flexing a muscle...

BTW, I did notice something weird, the base clock was at 1100mhz when it was suppose to be 1000mhz, and memory frequency was at 1500mhz when I was gaming but max is supposed to be 6000mhz....
    http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4793#sp

I think I have a case if the seller decide to sell me some bull**** and say it's working perfectly fine.

5. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    1500*4=6000 GDDR5 VRAM is quad pumped. That's why your effective memory clock is 4 times the base memory clock.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The memory is 6000 GDDR5 is quad rate so 1500 x 4 is 6000. Also if one core is maxed that is bad the game is using that one core more than any other. Get your CPU up to 3.8-4.0 and check again.

Have you updated you motherboard BIOS?
    What drivers are you using?

7. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    If u checked gpu-z it's shows wrong. Base clock is 1000 or 1050 and with turbo its 1100.

8. Xrider

Xrider Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    Aha, I see about the memory...
    Well, I returned the card already so waiting for replacement, they said there's a possibility for a money refund or a replacement card. If I get the money back should I maybe ask for MSI or Sephire, which one is better?

before returning the card I overclocked CPU to 3.6 and the issue was still there, low FPS and low GPU usage, so nothing changed...

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No your PSU isn't bad since it powers your computer with the 560ti just fine as far as performance goes. It might be old. Im thinking that your PSU might be the bottleneck with the newer card installed because It is possible that the card is drawing in too much power causing your computer to have performance issues.

10. Xrider

Xrider Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    I seen it on msi afterburner...

11. miiksu

miiksu Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX R9 Nano
    Hmm. It can't be right. Maybe software does not fully support it yet. Next version probaby will fix it. But I would myself get probably Asus TOP or something else.

12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I'd stay away from the TOP I've had a 7970 TOP before and it's very unstable.

13. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Not sure if the DCUII's are bad this time around. They were a disaster on the 79xx cards, but knowing how the DCUII performs once it's properly mounted and applying pressure (aka on the Nvidia side), those coolers are superb.

Don't know if Gigabyte have locked voltage on their 280X's either, anyone knows whether the R9 rebrands have unlocked voltage or not?

If not, is the Gigabyte (and any other cards) locked?

If yes, then look at getting the best cooler or go Sapphire / MSI / non-Gigabyte 7970.

The Gigabyte WF3 cooler is great as well. I had a Rev. 1 Gigabyte 7970 which had unlocked voltage and it was pretty quiet (relative to a GPU & the MSI reference and TF3 7970s).

14. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    So you returned the card and walked away empty handed? Hmm..

Where are you located? Did you purchase the card from a brick and mortar store? What store sold you the card? Why did they not refund your money on the spot? How come you did not leave the store with a new card? What were your 3DMark scores? <--- teehee

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    So what's up with this 280x then, user error (amd drivers can be confusing) or defected gpu?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

16. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    We don't know yet. The card was returned and there is currently no refund or replacement.

17. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT 16GB
    This. CPU bottleneck is thrown around way to damn much on a single card setup. I have a 950@ 4.1 and gtx 560ti and its more then damn plenty of fast for it. Hell I have ran it stock at 3.06 and it didnt bottleneck even in bf4 beta. Wish I had a R270/270/280.

18. Xrider

Xrider Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX1070
    PieEyedPiper, I live in a small country by the name Israel.
    The return policy is very strict over here.
    If I didn't use the card it would be easier to get a money refund on the spot.
    If I used the card and it's faulty but still under warranty I can get replacement but they need to check it first.

The store has many branches and very popular over here.
    Honestly, Israeli people are very un-polite and trying to scam in every way possible so when I went to the store I had to say 3-4 times why the card is being returned.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I had no issue with temps the card was unstable out of the box.

20. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    It's my belief proper driver cleaning before installing newer drivers eliminates many issues experienced by customers who swear there new hardware is defective. I just upgraded from nvidia cards in sli to one amd card and couldn't be happier. My card doesn't overclock super well but it works perfectly aside from that and it was only around $200 new. Why pay more money for 280x when its essentially the same card with a changed name lol